Poll: Who do you think should get the delivery fee The Business or the Driver?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The driver signed the contract to work for a business. Maybe the contract specifies the delivery fee going to him, maybe it doesn't. If it does not, he gets what he is due in the contract. If he doesn't like it, he can quit and go work for a business, which pays him more for the use of a car. If a company pays less than the services are worth, it would have no employees.

I don't really see the issue. If you'd like to help the delivery drivers, tip them.

To me, if your business model of pizza and you don't offer dine in and it's delivery only, you do not have the right/ability to charge a delivery fee. That should have been built into the price of the pizza at the start. It's just another way for a business to screw customers out of an extra $3.50 and force the driver to use their personal vehicle as the delivery vehicle.

Plus 90% of the personal insurance market will not cover people's vehicles if they are delivery drivers. You have to go to a "substandard market" carrier (not the big named companies like State Farm, Farmers, Hartford, Hanover, Travelers, etc) and pay 3x the price. There might be a couple in the standard market that might do this but might only do this if they put it in a business use classification and then it's around 1.5-2x normal price.

This is also why I still distrust the Uber/Lyft model for those who use their personal vehicles. They are considered livery services (what the taxi industry is called) and not covered unless they started putting them in the business use or created a whole new rating price for those needing insurance. Seeing as how I've been out of the insurance industry since 2005, it might have. But I still don't trust the way it's probably handled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post

I know I am a cheap ass, but when it comes to service industries and what not where people rely on tips, I don't skip out, mostly because I have been there done that, but I have question that bugs me when it comes to Pizza Delivery, and it hasn't always been this way.

Why doesn't the delivery fee go to the delivery driver?

The way I figure it, it's your car, your insurance, you are doing the job and risking whatever to deliver, and I ain't already paying for the Pizza in the price, so where exactly did this delivery charge bullshit sneak it's way in as something not going to compensate the worker or driver.

Who do you think should get the delivery fee The Business or the Driver?

To me it just seems like theft!
    The fee should go to the business for the business should be paying the driver's wages at a fair rate. Then again, the wages aren't fair in some countries, even some of the 'greatest' western countries.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

[IMG]https://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/img/editorial/2017/11/02/104815390-pizza-hut.530x298.jpg?v=1509630852[/]
    I know I am a cheap ass, but when it comes to service industries and what not where people rely on tips, I don't skip out, mostly because I have been there done that, but I have question that bugs me when it comes to Pizza Delivery, and it hasn't always been this way.

The way I figure it, it's your car, your insurance, you are doing the job and risking whatever to deliver, and I ain't already paying for the Pizza in the price, so where exactly did this delivery charge bullshit sneak it's way in as something not going to compensate the worker or driver.

When I delivered pizza there wasn't delivery fee and we got 1.00 a run + tips. The funny thing was most nice homes didn't tip well, and the poor ones did. Also if a kid answers the door you know you're not getting tipped because the parents were too ashamed to stiff you themselves.

Yes, stealing other people's shit, generally goes to profit those taking it, whether they can get away with it is subjective.
    ffs what are you? a communist?
    why do you bitch about shit like that comrade?
    if you are unhappy with your life change it.
    lets see if your red brain is able for logic:
    what is more expensive for a company: 1 If someone picks their pizza up at the restaurant, or 2 If someone need to deliever the pizza to lazy people.
    and dont worry, the drivers get money. And tbh the money is enough for people who literally just drive around. (a job you need 0 skills and education for, In germany most delievery dudes are foreigners who cant even speak german xD)

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Because why make a claim on your own insurance and only increase your costs when you can claim under the business?
    Only reason you need personal insurance in this context is to demonstrate to the employer's insurer that you are complying with the law, really. You are NOT covered under personal insurance if you are in an accident driving commercially. Indeed, if it hits their radar you will be cancelled and your premiums will skyrocket.

Nobody in said accident is going to sue your small potatoes butt other than as a mandatory pleading to sue the company anyway, and THAT is why they need insurance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kamilynne View Post
    To me, if your business model of pizza and you don't offer dine in and it's delivery only, you do not have the right/ability to charge a delivery fee. That should have been built into the price of the pizza at the start. It's just another way for a business to screw customers out of an extra $3.50 and force the driver to use their personal vehicle as the delivery vehicle.

Plus 90% of the personal insurance market will not cover people's vehicles if they are delivery drivers. You have to go to a "substandard market" carrier (not the big named companies like State Farm, Farmers, Hartford, Hanover, Travelers, etc) and pay 3x the price. There might be a couple in the standard market that might do this but might only do this if they put it in a business use classification and then it's around 1.5-2x normal price.

This is also why I still distrust the Uber/Lyft model for those who use their personal vehicles. They are considered livery services (what the taxi industry is called) and not covered unless they started putting them in the business use or created a whole new rating price for those needing insurance. Seeing as how I've been out of the insurance industry since 2005, it might have. But I still don't trust the way it's probably handled.
    Several carriers have adopted a rider on personal ins for rideshare drivers to cover them in the "gap", but at far lower premium than actual commercial insurance. I have no idea if it covers something like pizza delivery though. I have one through State Farm since I stay in the app for extra cash and amusement.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Only reason you need personal insurance in this context is to demonstrate to the employer's insurer that you are complying with the law, really. You are NOT covered under personal insurance if you are in an accident driving commercially. Indeed, if it hits their radar you will be cancelled and your premiums will skyrocket.

Nobody in said accident is going to sue your small potatoes butt other than as a mandatory pleading to sue the company anyway, and THAT is why they need insurance.
    ? I never said anything about anyone suing anyone. Making a claim on your own insurance will increase your own insurance costs. You never want to make a claim on your insurance unless you have no other option.

The Driver, they are using their own car.

One of my employees that also works part time at a pizza place has told me that even though the site claims that delivery fee does not go to the drivers part/majority of it in fact does.

They put that warning on there because if people think the driver is already being compensated they are 100% NOT going to get any extra tips.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    IT's really bad when most places make the drivers use their own cars, and a lot of people use it as an excuse not to tip the driver. Because of it I no longer order delivery I just order carryout.

I voted for Driver, but the exception should be if they aren't using their own car. If they are using a company car it should be shared.
    And they know when applying and accepting that job that they use their own car, that is on them.

y

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Not all places pay for gas. Employees or customers shouldn't be charged a special fee for "hiring specific people", not sure what that means...

Anyhoo, the answer is that the restaurant industry is inherently corrupt, for the most part. Of course all industries can have corrupt practices, but the restaurant industry is notoriously seedy. A lot of money laundering and low-level corruption such as making tipped employees tip out to employees where it doesn't make sense that you as a server are subsidizing their pay, such as the dishwashing staff. Then there are the restaurants where management skims off the top of employee tips. And the restaurants where they adjust your timesheet to show you worked less hours than you actually did...

Thank the Trump administration for revoking Obama-era regulations regarding restaurant employers keeping waitstaff/delivery drivers' tips.
    Dont forget about marking up drinks to absurd levels. 1 32 ounce soda that cost the restaurant 2 cents and they charge $2.50 for it, or all those bottles of liquor where they sell 3 shots for 15 bucks and the the rest of the bottle is all profit

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Life View Post
    They should just pay the driver a legal wage rather than leave it up to tip roulette at all.
    They do. If the employee doesnt get enough tips to equal at least minimum wage for hours worked, the restaurant must pay them the difference to bring them up to minimum wage. Its just that servers and drivers always play the woe is me card and want to make $200 a night for simply bring you food

It does go to the driver. It pays their wage.

Cheers

I generally don't tip unless I am in the US in a state where they are allowed to pay their servers under minimum wage. In Canada they make a normal rate and if you want a tip you better be giving me a reach around level of service.

Business gets the fee in Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    That can vary wildly from state to state.

In Oregon restaurant workers are all minimum wage, whether you earn tips is up to you but all minimum wage.

Anyway, the reason for the delivery fee is for the benefit of the employer. If you're on a delivery you're not there cleaning, prepping, making pizza, etc.
    If you are a delivery driver you are supposed to DELIVER. You arent a chef and as such shouldnt be prepping or making pizza, nor should you be cleaning as that is the job of the janitorial staff or counter person if nobody is nobody is making an order

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    If you are a delivery driver you are supposed to DELIVER. You arent a chef and as such shouldnt be prepping or making pizza, nor should you be cleaning as that is the job of the janitorial staff or counter person if nobody is nobody is making an order
    lol. I'm begining to question if you ever had a real job.

You think pizza places have a chef and janitor.... lmfao

Over here, people don't rely on tips in order to eat, so I wouldn't know. I expect tips to go to drivers though, and judging by their faces when I unexpectedly tip them, I'd say it goes to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    ? I never said anything about anyone suing anyone. Making a claim on your own insurance will increase your own insurance costs. You never want to make a claim on your insurance unless you have no other option.
    You can't claim an accident on a delivery on your personal insurance. It will not only not be covered, your carrier will cancel you.

Lawsuits, though, are why the employer has insurance for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It's hilarious you think this and are comparing the new can of worms with the UE/DD/AMZL style of employment is even comparable to being driver at the pizza place. In fact when you're a driver at a pizza place you do a hell of a lot more then just deliver.

Also the whole independent contractors on the new app based delivery jobs is still something that's not regulated and will have to answer to courts on what they properly are and are liable for in due time.
    Already went through the courts once and uber won.

Newspaper carriers have also gone through the courts a few dozen times and have lost most of their cases at the federal level.

Independent contractor delivery jobs have been around for 40+ years and have been tested over and over again in the courts.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tip the driver with cash rather than put it on the receipt. No need for the boss to know what I give them, or stick their beak into the tip money.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

10+ Year Old Account

I guess it depends. Where I live, the delivery drivers usually work for the restaurant, as in they have a salary like any other employee, and they are using cars that belong to the restaurant, not their own. Which means that the delivery fee should go to the restaurant, since they are the ones paying the extra cost of delivering the order.
    Last edited by zephid; 2018-06-19 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Actually most places from what I understand, have their own insurance. And the company also pays for gas, hiring specific people, etc. So those fees go to that. That, on top of all the software needed to manage that, and supplies, as well as upkeep and other overhead.
    No, not even close to true. The drivers use their own cars, must have insurance that they pay for, and pay for their own gas. A delivery charge is nothing more than a bullshit way to increase profits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    This is the correct answer.

People should be more out raged at the fact they pay the drivers so low of a wage they actually need tips, not this fee which is legitimate and part of the cost in delivering to your house.
    The fee is not legit at all.