Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Supreme Court rules states can collect sales tax for online purchases nationwide

Online shoppers could find costs going up after the Supreme Court did away Thursday with a decades-old precedent limiting the ability of states to collect sales tax on certain out-of-state Internet purchases.

The 5-4 ruling called the current rules “unsound and incorrect.”

Currently, businesses shipping a product to another state where it does not have a "physical presence" -- a store, office or warehouse -- are not forced to collect that state's sales tax.

In giving a victory to the states, the high court said that rule is outdated.

I do not have a issue with his ruling.

As a side note, this is the ruling the President hoped the Court would decide, as he supported South Dakota's challenge to the old ruling.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-06-21 at 03:20 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Don't you already pay VAT with online purchases ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Depends on the state I think. Some online purchases are taxed here in Ohio. I have paid some depending on where the place is located that I buy from. I order and then pay what ever sales tax is included.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I know Trump wanted this ruling because of his hate boner for Amazon already charges sales tax. This is more likely going to affect smaller businesses and retailers but whatever makes the tweeter in chief think he won maybe this will keep him from his next awful venture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I know Trump wanted this ruling because of his hate boner for Amazon already charges sales tax. This is more likely going to affect smaller businesses and retailers but whatever makes the tweeter in chief think he won maybe this will keep him from his next awful venture.
    As does Ohio. And as of now, the democrats are looking for a better outcome in the mid-terms then Republicans are here in Ohio. He may think like myself, it is only fair to have online taxes collected.

Makes sense, we need the consumers to pay taxes. Only corporations should have loop holes and massive tax breaks.

No problem with this ruling. Most states rely on sales tax income, and shopping is increasingly moving online. It's not fair to have to try to make up those losses in even more punitive taxes.

For me personally, 99% of my online shopping was on Amazon who are already collecting sales tax in both places I have lived so there's no change there.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

10+ Year Old Account
    Woot woot! Tax and spend, tax and spend.

Yes I am pleased about this outcome and no I am not apologizing for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    We don't have VAT in the states. That being said depending on where you are buying from sometimes there is sales tax for online purchases and sometimes there isn't. Now it looks like there will be for all online purchases.

10+ Year Old Account
    This makes sense to me and I am a Libertarian. Why should online stores have a major advantage over brick and mortar stores?

Now lets hope the Supreme Court can force Sales Tax reporting and collecting to be standardized across the country. You got some real shady shit going esp with CO, CA and WA.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2018-06-21 at 03:47 PM.

Kinda strange that they needed to codify a rule for that. Seemed a matter of course that you'd pay whatever sales tax you're due for the state that you, the consumer, live in when you buy something online.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

You always had to pay taxes. Everyone just dodge them. Whenever you purchases something from another state you were suppose to tell the it’s you did and how much you spent so they can tax you.

As a citizen, I support this ruling. I feel that people should pay the appropriate sales tax regardless of the venue in which a product was purchased.

As a consumer, I don't like paying more money for things, but 6.35% isn't going to break the bank, and if it helps my state solve our debt issue, I'm all for it.

As a fintech employee working in customer facing support for numerous SMBs that will now have to figure out sales tax compliance for 50 states, some of which (looking at you California) have separate sales tax codes per municipality, I fucking hate this. This is going to be an absolute nightmare to implement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    This makes sense seeing the direction the retail industry and internet has gone.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    #CloseAllTheLoopholes
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You always had to pay taxes. Everyone just dodge them. Whenever you purchases something from another state you were suppose to tell the it’s you did and how much you spent so they can tax you.
    Yeah, it’s a option on the tax returns, at least in ks, where they make you totally pinky swear about how much you didn’t pay taxes on.

What the ruling dues is put the burden of the tax payment on the retailer end (which they pass to consumers, but the retailers have to pay)

Welcome to everywhere else in the world haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    So if I call a company that is out of state and order something, no state taxes. But if I do it via a web page, state taxes. Makes sense!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    So if I call a company that is out of state and order something, no state taxes. But if I do it via a web page, state taxes. Makes sense!
    I'd imagine that is going to be changed as well.

Congress should really pass a law regulating this. This is literally the reason Congress has the power to make laws in the first place (interstate commerce clause).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    I'd imagine that is going to be changed as well.

Congress should really pass a law regulating this. This is literally the reason Congress has the power to make laws in the first place (interstate commerce clause).
    Ha, ha. Good fucking luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.