Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    In Japan work means work - you dedicate yourself to it fully.
    That would literally be my version of hell.

In my world, work is a necessary evil that gives you the means to live and enjoy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    plus the company is a fucking water treatment company working for the government. I mean, I care if my water doesn't have lead in it over some random guy getting lunch a bit early.
    yup you totally understand how a water treatment company works.

don't worry i'm sure he'll be completely focused on his job when he's hungry and he's working 80-100 hours a week who wouldn't be?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    That would literally be my version of hell.

In my world, work is a necessary evil that gives you the means to live and enjoy life.
    No work is the meaning of our existence!

Those who fail on the job must commit ritual suicide. Family and leisure is for the weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    yup you totally understand how a water treatment company works.
    ????
    oh please, enlighten us if I'm incorrect to assume an office job doesn't directly tie into the water treatment process. My father owns his own water bottling/softening company out west and I can tell you the office workers aren't in charge of making sure the osmosis machine works properly.

????
    oh please, enlighten us if I'm incorrect to assume an office job doesn't directly tie into the water treatment process. My father owns his own water bottling/softening company out west and I can tell you the office workers aren't in charge of making sure the osmosis machine works properly.
    no you're assuming a 3 minute break is going to mean the whole water treatment plant goes to shit like it's a 1 man show and without him water just turns into poison instantly, all that technology in Japan but no, this guy is the fucking key to the entire plant running smoothly. i guess it's best he does his job hungry that'll keep him laser focused.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    no you're assuming a 3 minute break is going to mean the whole water treatment plant goes to shit like it's a 1 man show and without him water just turns into poison instantly, all that technology in Japan but no, this guy is the fucking key to the entire plant running smoothly. i guess it's best he does his job hungry that'll keep him laser focused.

I'm making the exact opposite argument than the one you're implying I'm making, BUT OKAY.

I'm making the exact opposite argument than the one you're implying I'm making, BUT OKAY.
    The way you wrote it made it sound to me like the way socialhealer thought you had said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    The way you wrote it made it sound to me like the way socialhealer thought you had said.
    I think he just worded it incorrectly. I think he meant it like this:

I mean, I don't care if random guy getting lunch a bit early, as long as my water doesn't have lead in it.
    I can see how you'd mistake that though.

As for the topic... When I first read the thread title, I thought the company was publicly apologizing for the man only getting 3 minutes for lunch, not the other way around. That sort of culture is seriously screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    Respect works both ways. Doesn't seem like the bosses respect their employees if they can't have 3 minutes to grab lunch.
    The employee's know the contracts, they agree to them. If they don't like it they're entitled to get employment elsewhere.

The employee's know the contracts, they agree to them. If they don't like it they're entitled to get employment elsewhere.
    That has nothing to do with respect, but okay. Guess a boss and employees shouldn't have to be friendly to each other, if it's not specifically stated in their contract.

That has nothing to do with respect, but okay. Guess a boss and employees shouldn't have to be friendly to each other, if it's not specifically stated in their contract.
    It does - Japan is generally a respectful country and they'll apologise over anything, especially when it comes to business and customers. The customers always come first and they're always respected no matter what, and if a situation has occurred where an employee was wasting company time thus money thus customers money they will apologise. It goes beyond just one boss or just one company, it's in the culture. Generally people will make friends within employment, but business means business in Japan and that's highly respected in work relationships.

It does - Japan is generally a respectful country and they'll apologise over anything, especially when it comes to business and customers. The customers always come first and they're always respected no matter what, and if a situation has occurred where an employee was wasting company time thus money thus customers money they will apologise. It goes beyond just one boss or just one company, it's in the culture. Generally people will make friends within employment, but business means business in Japan and that's highly respected in work relationships.
    How exactly are you wasting company time by spending 3 minutes to get lunch? A employee that is not fed and hungry is not going to be as productive.

What about bathroom breaks, if their contract states they are not allowed those either I guess you would be okay.

God forbid you need a couple of minutes to have a number 2.
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2018-06-21 at 07:10 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    I'm sure the factual inaccuracy was that they only work 8 to 8 each day, not that they make more than peanuts.
    You're right, some of them only work eleven hours a day.

How exactly are you wasting company time by spending 3 minutes to get lunch? A employee that is not fed and hungry is not going to be as productive.

What about bathroom breaks, if their contract states they are not allowed those either I guess you would be okay.

God forbid you need a couple of minutes to have a number 2.
    Because you're not contracted to do so - so they're paying you to waste their time when you should be working, despite how long it may be. Would you just leave work in the middle of your shift and not expect to be punished for it? I don't think.

Because you're not contracted to do so - so they're paying you to waste their time when you should be working, despite how long it may be. Would you just leave work in the middle of your shift and not expect to be punished for it? I don't think.
    If I need to spend a few minutes to pick up lunch or take a shit I'm allowed to do so without punishment...

If I need to spend a few minutes to pick up lunch or take a shit I'm allowed to do so without punishment...
    Well that's good for your job. But guess what? It's not this job. Different country, different culture. Sorry to burst your bubble and welcome to Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yes, do tell me how great Japan's economy is doing since people have plenty of time to have and raise kids and have a healthy influx of immigrants.

Oh, wait.
    Actualy, the authorities are taking the matter very seriously since a few years, and they are currently trying to bring changes in that part of society; notably by inciting women to enter the workforce (which is not working very well for reasons i explained in a previous post), or also by taxes cuts for the companies who encourage their employees to take their vacations or even leave the workplace at the correct hours (because it's something nobody told, is that while japanese are doing a hefty amount of extra hours, they DON'T get paid for that: you sign for 45 hours/week, but you are in fact working 70 hours, but are paid 45).

Japan society is currently in a very delicate moment of it's existence; only time will tell us if they will succeed.

Well that's good for your job. But guess what? It's not this job. Different country, different culture. Sorry to burst your bubble and welcome to Earth.
    I see....

So I guess China's sweet shops and child labor are legit since it's a different country, different culture.

Deleted
    Japan... the country where they only work hard, never smart.

Their solution to everything is to make more hours. And more. And more.
    No wonder they have no time for relationships or kids. They are literally killing their own future.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle View Post
    Actualy, the authorities are taking the matter very seriously since a few years, and they are currently trying to bring changes in that part of society; notably by inciting women to enter the workforce (which is not working very well for reasons i explained in a previous post), or also by taxes cuts for the companies who encourage their employees to take their vacations or even leave the workplace at the correct hours (because it's something nobody told, is that while japanese are doing a hefty amount of extra hours, they DON'T get paid for that: you sign for 45 hours/week, but you are in fact working 70 hours, but are paid 45).

Japan society is currently in a very delicate moment of it's existence; only time will tell us if they will succeed.
    You are heavily overestimating on how much people work there that 70 hours is spending time at the workplace, not actual productive work.