Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    So much wrong in this post.
    Nope.

Also, I love how you undermine yourself. "Sure, they're COMPARABLE now, that's totally why Amazon is dying now, too, and brick-and-mortar stores are dominating once again! <tinfoil hat> Wait, what do you mean its not and no they're not. BUT IT'S ONLY BECAUSE ONLINE STORES ARE CHEAP THAT THEY'RE MORE POPULAR! I R GEENUS, I NO THIS 4 FACT, EVEN IF I CONTRADICK MUHSELFFFF!!!"

<eye roll> Talk about naive...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerisot View Post
    This will actually help the local retailers a lot, as that is one reason they go out of buisness is that online had no tax and in stores do.
    online orders also have shipping charges which can be expensive.

you want to order a book or inexpensive item? get ready to have the shipping cost several times more than the actual item.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Nope.

Also, I love how you undermine yourself. "Sure, they're COMPARABLE now, that's totally why Amazon is dying now, too, and brick-and-mortar stores are dominating once again! <tinfoil hat> Wait, what do you mean its not and no they're not. BUT IT'S ONLY BECAUSE ONLINE STORES ARE CHEAP THAT THEY'RE MORE POPULAR! I R GEENUS, I NO THIS 4 FACT, EVEN IF I CONTRADICK MUHSELFFFF!!!"

<eye roll> Talk about naive...
    This weak ass strawman attempt is an all time classic because I never said amazon was going anywhere. In fact in my very first post directed to you I said "Amazon now being a behemoth that can't be touched" certainly means they are going the way of the dodo because some tax laws changed.

Your argument about prices not mattering online is hilarious, because literally the biggest online retailer built themselves up by offering everything for cheaper. 11 LULZ out of 10. Nice attempt, enjoy holding that L for being wrong. If you think online shopping would be anywhere near it's current levels without what Amazon did to make it so that's just living in delusion ville.

This weak ass strawman attempt.
    It's funny how when someone points out how idiotic someone is being (by claiming that people shop online primarily because of the savings, and in the exact same breath enact the most hilarious degree of cognitive dissonance known to man by pointing out that their prices are comparable now) that it becomes a "strawman argument."

You're wrong. Deal with it. The primary reasons most people shop online is for the convenience, ease of use, and not having to deal with assholes (and parking, and traffic, and everything else associated thereof). Prices are way down on the list of reasons, save for very specific niche items in which the price differences are extremely noticeable. And hint: Books wasn't one of 'em back when Amazon was coming into power.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny how when someone points out how idiotic someone is being (by claiming that people shop online primarily because of the savings, and in the exact same breath enact the most hilarious degree of cognitive dissonance known to man by pointing out that their prices are comparable now) that it becomes a "strawman argument."

You're wrong. Deal with it. The primary reasons most people shop online is for the convenience, ease of use, and not having to deal with assholes (and parking, and traffic, and everything else associated thereof). Prices are way down on the list of reasons, save for very specific niche items in which the price differences are extremely noticeable. And hint: Books wasn't one of 'em back when Amazon was coming into power.
    I agree with this. I have found prices on a lot of things just as cheap at my local Walmart than on Amazon. Or the prices difference is not enough to make any difference. But the specific niche items is certainly a factor when I do buy stuff from Amazon.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a mistake, I think people will find better ways around this thus costing more in taxes to regulate. Bad idea.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    This is a mistake, I think people will find better ways around this thus costing more in taxes to regulate. Bad idea.
    Other than the black market, what better ways?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Other than the black market, what better ways?
    The same way they do now. domestic markets will mostly comply but not all, and international markets mostly wont. Thus it will fall to the buyers and some selling to report taxes collected.

People buying are simply going to not pay and claim ignorance, and sellers are simply going to position their business in such a way they are under no obligation to collect sales tax.

If the idea is to limit government, this goes in the opposite direction.

It's funny how when someone
    When someone does what?

Must be great to live in a world where you can ignore every single factual point made by deleting most of a post and think it's reality. How does it feel to get the same 1999 era message board tactic used on you?

You really have to hold that L for not knowing how Amazon became a retail behemoth. Pretty hilarious actually.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    Im curious how this will affect all the chinese sellers that flood ebay with dirt cheap items. You can literally buy things from china for under 25 cents, shipping included. I don't know how taxes on people like that would ever be enforced. But as a longtime user of ebay, im hopeful this change will shift it somewhat back to a marketplace for small sellers rather than just another storefront for massive companies and resellers.
    A lot of the Ebay stores like that are processed through Ebay itself I think, so the states will simply go after Ebay, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

The same way they do now. domestic markets will mostly comply but not all, and international markets mostly wont. Thus it will fall to the buyers and some selling to report taxes collected.

People buying are simply going to not pay and claim ignorance, and sellers are simply going to position their business in such a way they are under no obligation to collect sales tax.

Understand that many state governments have been going through lawsuits and such to force tax collection already. What this does it not somehow make a new rule or a new administration or organization. What it does is give these same states a supreme court ruling saying they are RIGHT. This means defending against the states will be futile, but it also means the states need to chase after large enough targets to justify the costs.

I think Ebay will be the main question mark here, really.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

It's funny how when someone
    When someone does what?
    Did you really just cut the quote off prematurely, then act like I didn't say anything afterwards so you could reply with that? Wow. Here's the full quote for you, though I'm guessing your brain can't process more than five words for some bizarre reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    A lot of the Ebay stores like that are processed through Ebay itself I think, so the states will simply go after Ebay, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Understand that many state governments have been going through lawsuits and such to force tax collection already. What this does it not somehow make a new rule or a new administration or organization. What it does is give these same states a supreme court ruling saying they are RIGHT. This means defending against the states will be futile, but it also means the states need to chase after large enough targets to justify the costs.

I think Ebay will be the main question mark here, really.
    Meh then it should be a Volume Tax. That way Amazon and Walmart or whatever can't hurt local business, but people who send goods to friends and family members might not get hit by this.

Meh then it should be a Volume Tax. That way Amazon and Walmart or whatever can't hurt local business, but people who send goods to friends and family members might not get hit by this.
    Well, again, it's not a tax. This is not a new Federal regulation. It's just a ruling in a lawsuit, making other lawsuits easier.

No one sending a personal item to someone else will be affected. Florida is not going to track down my friend in NH if he sends me a book. If he buys me a book from Amazon, they DO charge him Florida tax.

This is not a tax on internetery. It is only going to affect businesses collecting sales tax.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Well, again, it's not a tax. This is not a new Federal regulation. It's just a ruling in a lawsuit, making other lawsuits easier.

No one sending a personal item to someone else will be affected. Florida is not going to track down my friend in NH if he sends me a book. If he buys me a book from Amazon, they DO charge him Florida tax.

This is not a tax on internetery. It is only going to affect businesses collecting sales tax.
    Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but this is simply one of those taxes I don't agree with, and MOST of the time I am for Taxes, but I don't think sales Tax should be applied for online purchases, mostly for the reasons I said and the "potential"doors that it opens, and it will in the long run cost more than it will save.

I also think this is going to make the contention of online property even more contentious.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerisot View Post
    This will actually help the local retailers a lot, as that is one reason they go out of buisness is that online had no tax and in stores do.
    Ya because amazon will now....oh wait they already did....well walmart will....oh wait they already did.....ummm target...nope....

the people not charging tax. The smaller re sellers and small local retailers trying to sell outside their state because they don't have a presence in those other states.

If anything this changes nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Yeah, it’s a option on the tax returns, at least in ks, where they make you totally pinky swear about how much you didn’t pay taxes on.

What the ruling dues is put the burden of the tax payment on the retailer end (which they pass to consumers, but the retailers have to pay)
    Retailers love collecting sales tax. The retailer gets to keep a percentage of it. It does not all go to the state.

10+ Year Old Account

You do know they enforce tax laws and tax evasion on a large scale by a company, can ruin them? Ignorance of the law is no excuse in court.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You do know they enforce tax laws and tax evasion on a large scale by a company, can ruin them? Ignorance of the law is no excuse in court.
    In the eyes of the law, yes, but that saying is nonsense. Ignorance of the law is a great excuse, although here, it's kind of one of those "do you know how fast you were going."

Taxes are fine as long as they go for something and those paying in get something back. This isn't going to do that in my opinion for the reasons i stated.

This actually took longer than I thought it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    So if I call a company that is out of state and order something, no state taxes. But if I do it via a web page, state taxes. Makes sense!
    Both cases get charged a tax... Its up to the company to charge and collect on it.