Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I see your point.
    Can't really argue with that, but the difference is that dogs are specifically bred to be companions. Pigs and cows are bred to be a source of food.

See above.
    That's the difference in culture though. Cows aren't bred to be a source of food in India. Horses are generally bred to be riding animals and companions in much of the world, but it's completely legal to eat in in a variety of places, and normal in other places (Quebec, Japan).

Korea has specific dogs bred to be a source of food, not a companion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nureongi

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    I agree, let's stop eating pigs as well.
    idk how people eat them. ham is gross, it tastes like a nursing home smells.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally see dogs as our allies, they help the police, they help rescue brigades, they help blind and deaf people, they help us to protect our families, our lives and our properties, they can even detect diseases on people and be used in certain kinds of therapy. Also, they helped us on hunting throught the history, helped us in wars, can be used as sheepherds, sledge dogs and many things. And oh, they bring joy to our homes.

So they are not just like any other animal for human race, they've been with us since the dawn of time and been helping us in many ways, so i think they are much more than just foods. That's why dogs can't be compared to chickens, cows, pigs, horses, wild animals and whatever. That's why they are in a "superior" ground in comparison to any other animal on this planet to humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Pigs are smarter than dogs so if we can kill and eat them we can kill and eat dogs. It is silly to base a decision like this on how much you personally like an animal.
    Pigs were domesticated as a food source. Literally their whole reason for being is to feed us.

Dogs were domesticated as guardians, shepherds, and companions. Huge difference between the two. Intelligence doesn't factor in at all.

Deleted
    No, because dogs being bred as companions has been done for thousands of years, when humans separated them from wolves.
    Maybe could be bred for food and in 10.000 years will become like your favorite pigs and cows. But we're talking today, not in 10.000 years.
    In South Korea, China and a lot of other Asian countries they have bred specific breeds of dogs for consumption for literally thousands of years so I don't think your argument works. Consider also that snakes are a delicacy in certain parts of the world, some Aussies eat kangaroo meat, all sorts of cats have been eaten, not to mention the myriad of insects like cockroaches that can be eaten and are an excellent source of protein.

There is literally no logical argument as to why we couldn't eat any animal whatsoever outside of possible toxicity or just plain bad taste no matter how it's cooked (and the Chinese certainly know how to cook a wide variety of animals). The ONLY reason we've mostly limited our diet as a species to chicken, cows and pigs (and this is mostly in the West and doesn't take into account a lot of other infrequent meat types such as turkey, mutton or deer) is because they are very easy to take care of and live off of.

In South Korea's case, they eat a specific breed of dog that has been bred for generations just for human consumption. In theory, this could be done with literally any animal species.

And this really is the only logical stance that has no serious counter-argument, and arguments from feelings don't really count. I personally never ate dog, would be interested to taste some Korean recipes, and this is coming from a guy who's had 5 pet dogs, 7 if you count my grandparents' and loved them like family. Want to know how I do this? Simple, the same way I eat any other animal meat, because you're either a meat eater and accept that some animal had to die for your meal or you're not and you eat whatever vegetarians eat.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    That's the difference in culture though. Cows aren't bred to be a source of food in India. Horses are generally bred to be riding animals and companions in much of the world, but it's completely legal to eat in in a variety of places, and normal in other places (Quebec, Japan).

Korea has specific dogs bred to be a source of food, not a companion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nureongi
    I watched some videos of those dogs and they behave towards humans like every other dog. It takes hundreds if not thousands of years to breed an animal out of its instinctive behavior. I doubt Koreans have been doing that.

I watched some videos of those dogs and they behave towards humans like every other dog. It takes hundreds if not thousands of years to breed an animal out of its instinctive behavior. I doubt Koreans have been doing that.
    Have you ever seen how a cow, pig, goat or sheep behaves towards humans? Because they've been bred for thousands of years to be affable as well.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2018-06-21 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love dogs too. But the west is forcing their own views and culture upon the east when it comes to stuff like this.

Western people devour tons of cow meat, but you don't see hindu people bitching and protesting do you? No.

I suppose it helps when you are a small furry animal that looks cute. So yes I am glad about this, but it is also pathetic that the western people can be such hypocrites about something like this. Pigs are smart too, so let's stop eating those now.......yeah, see how well that will go.

As long as the animals are killed in a humane manner there isn't much else to go after.
    You're aware that a lot of koreans are against it and want it banned?

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    Dogs were actually bred over in Korea for food. It was considered a low grade meat (Like Spam in the U.S.).

I guess I'll have to go to the Philippines to knock dog off the bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    I agree, let's stop eating pigs as well.
    But bacon....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehat View Post
    As a dog lover iam pleased with this announcement.

Dogs are mans best friend they shouldnt be food for us.

I know the edgelords will be all over this thread either trolling, Playing devils advocate or just trying to be edgy.

Anyway i hope more countries adopt this law.
    "I'm posting my opinion and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong and a bad person."

This is just Western thinking forcing itself on another country yet again. I don't agree with HOW many Asian countries treat dogs, granted I don't care how ANYONE treats dogs, but dog meat is considered something on the menu over there, even if it isn't here. Who are you to tell them they can't eat it because you happen to call your pet your baby and name it human names?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Why? We eat pigs and cows. Why shouldn't dogs be on the menu if a culture is ok with it? What's the difference?

(I'm speaking objectively here - just curious)
    Because we artificially selected dogs over thousands of generations to be companion animals. We literally designed them to be inherently trusting of humans and slaughtering them for food is a betrayal of that trust

Modernization theory yes!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think dogs should be bred for meat, it is kind of pointless since the dog needs to eat pretty much the same stuff(mainly meat) as you do, so you are wasting more food than you gain. Pigs and cows will eat stuff that you don't eat(grass etc) or very cheap and easy to grow crops.
    I am a dog lover, but I am not against eating dog if there is a reason for it. Many countries have a problem with street dogs and/or feral dogs, to the point where people are told to go out and straight up beat them to death on sight. It would be better if these homeless/feral dogs could be put down and have it's meat harvested to feed the poor.
    I know that in a perfect world these dogs would find a home with a loving family, but the world isn't perfect so just make the best of it.
    MSI GTX 970 - MSI Z170A Gaming M7 - Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz - 32GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz - 500GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO - 1TB WD HDD

10+ Year Old Account
    I see your point.
    Can't really argue with that, but the difference is that dogs are specifically bred to be companions. Pigs and cows are bred to be a source of food.

See above.
    And in many places in the world (Korea included) dogs are bred to be a source of food. So there's no difference in that case.

yeah the problem is here how they're killed it's not up to the same standards of most livestock.

they're often run so bad it would be like if your beef came from a farmer who had to kill cows with a small hammer.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why? We eat pigs and cows. Why shouldn't dogs be on the menu if a culture is ok with it? What's the difference?

While it is not a unreasonable point you make, none of those have such a close association with humans as dogs do. Being companions with humans for unknown generations, they are much more closely related as helpers of mankind. Same can be said of horses however to a lesser degree. Which is why some find eating horses also revolting.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Dogs were our first domesticated animal. They became our partners in everything, and underwent severe genetic changes incomparable to other animals we domesticated. And I'm not talking merely in shape. We developed a social partnership. Dogs develop a deep bond, and are completely socially dependent. Their brains and behaviors are built to pick up our social cues. They are basically children.

We've reshaped all the animals we've domesticated. But for different purposes. Meat. Transportation. Milk. Wool. Aesthetics. Catching vermin. Base level companionship.
    But dogs were forged to be our partners.

To forge a creature into an unconditional friend. And then to repay that bred friendship for food, I consider to be a betrayal. It feels like stabbing an ally in the back. I could not kill or eat dogs, except if my very life and others depended on it.
    I think this is the best argument I've ever heard regarding the topic. I think you have actually changed my mind.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Because we artificially selected dogs over thousands of generations to be companion animals. We literally designed them to be inherently trusting of humans and slaughtering them for food is a betrayal of that trust
    This is another good way to say it.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Deleted

First western culture doesn't have a history of eating predators (carnivors in general) as most of them can't be used for agriculture easily , and because the meat/mass ratio is lower than for our grass eating friends (why would you hunt prey to fatten your cattle when you can eat it yourself...?)
    Secondly dogs were used for the most part to help us hunt , there would be no point killing them so i think we inherited that culture
    Thirdly, dogs were domesticated through ages to live with us , farm animals remain wild, you could release them in the wild as they learn the tricks of the trade from their parents and their offspring would be wild again. And this domestication shows on logic tests for animals, dogs are smarter than their wild (wolves) counterparts

Tl;dr Its mostly a cultural thing that has its roots in simple biology and logic