Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Anyone else tired of the drama opera ultra high fantasy bullshit?

I keep reading threads about how people are tired of the faction conflict and how Warcraft needs to move "forward" if it wants to survive and stay fresh.

Fuckin a?

Is that why people still salivate over Warhammer 40k annoucements? Because they hope that the next game all factions will unite together under a banner of peace alongside some newfound furry animal allies and fight the big bad evils of the universe, whilst everyone is breaking down in the background in family conflict dramas?

Is that why you think Warcraft gathered fans over its RTSes and MMO? Because they hoped to see which evil character would get redeemed next and which next bigger fucking mustache villain we would fight next in an anticlimactic, lacking any real lore or clear explanation to plotholes fight? Which Warcraft character which has gotten barely any screentime since the Warcraft 3 lore manual/RTS would get killed off next?

For many of us the faction war moving forward is what drives the game forward. Sylvanas said it best:

"Ours is a cycle of hatred. Alliances forged and broken. We've paid the price for sharing this world, and we have forgotten what makes us strong."

The story events of the Warcraft RTSes is what made us strong enough to be able to stand against the Legion in WC3. Forced evolution through combat between two of the most deadly and murderous factions in the universe. Stories of vengeance, death, destruction and promise of more vengeance.

Sargeras was the ultimate evil, a dude so unreachable in our minds he was just there to represent the godly powers of Warcraft. Now he's fucked, and btw it was all because he had good intentions. Next are the void lords. They're dudes so unreachable that we'll probably end up killing them for the next 3-4 expansions, and then we'll realize they had good intentions.

Who gives a fuck about that shit since it doesn't represent anything interesting other than a guy saying "YOU WILL NEVER DEFEAT ME MORTALS! OH YOU'VE DEFEATED ME! HOW???" What's next? You want to turn Warcraft into a Superman comic?

Oh yay, we're now fucking omnipotent, cue World of Warcraft 2 which is irrelevant because every known threat is DEAD and we're now so powerful that blowing our load cause a sonic boom which can blow up a sun. Woo-pee, such exciting storytelling.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah because a war of extermination is a really fucking smart idea. your last two paragraphs is just you going on a vitriolic rant about nothing in particular. no the reason warcraft was so popular WAS IT'S GAMEPLAY. it wasn't until warcraft 3 that it had a fleshed out story.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    yeah because a war of extermination is a really fucking smart idea. your last two paragraphs is just you going on a vitriolic rant about nothing in particular. no the reason warcraft was so popular WAS IT'S GAMEPLAY. it wasn't until warcraft 3 that it had a fleshed out story.
    haha, so true.
    I don't know why the whining wow's gonna go on doing what it has to in order to have the story keep going and players happy.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

Yes, because glorified race wars are so much better...

Comparing WoW to Warhammer 40K, eh.

Why yes I would like WoW to be more like WH40K, I would so love the Alliance to be like the Empire and the Horde be like orks. In fact, it was supposed to be like that since Blizz wanted to make a WH game but didn't get the license, so they made their own ripoff(s).

Back to my point - WoW is inherently fucked simply because they were pushing this two faction shit in an online multiplayer game. What happens any time such concept is introduced? People flock over to the "winning" team, and that is not good for the gameplay.

That was the "technical" problem, or perhaps one of them.

Next problem is the story. In short, it boils down to Horde stirring up shit and Alliance coming to sweep it up.

Let the Alliance be the religious zealots and for once, make them attack the Horde in the name of the fucking Light, simple as that.
    I got so excited when I first read about how Yrel and her people basically became that, but as it turns out, it's just for sake of making the brownos go Horde and we will likely never hear of AU Lightforged ever again, not in a positive light that is.
    Fuck I can already imagine the good boy Anduin in some stupid cinematics, explaining how, as much as he dislikes it, he must order us to go and end them since they became a threat or whatever, side to side with the Horde ofc.

A little off-topic, but this is what I dislike about the Warcraft - it's just WoW, the MMORPG. Therefore no chance of a spin-off or a DLC where you could play the other side or simply outside of the main "hero" character.

Quote Originally Posted by Louz View Post
    Next problem is the story. In short, it boils down to Horde stirring up shit and Alliance coming to sweep it up.

Let the Alliance be the religious zealots and for once, make them attack the Horde in the name of the fucking Light, simple as that.
    I got so excited when I first read about how Yrel and her people basically became that, but as it turns out, it's just for sake of making the brownos go Horde and we will likely never hear of AU Lightforged ever again, not in a positive light that is.
    Fuck I can already imagine the good boy Anduin in some stupid cinematics, explaining how, as much as he dislikes it, he must order us to go and end them since they became a threat or whatever, side to side with the Horde ofc.
    The funny thing is: Alliance has more than enough reasons to be the aggressor for once. All great reasons and also reasons that don't have to end in a "Siege of Stormwind" bullshit. The parts to make a great story around the conflict between Alliance and Horde mixed in with a few parts of Old Gods/Forgotten Titan Vaults without killing off Leaders left and right are all there.

Also Alliance like the Warhammer 40k Imperium? Sure thing. That would make them by far the most evil faction ever in WoW. ;D

WoW has always been the high fantasy opera, 'looks cool painted on the side of a stoner's van' genre.

Different stories... war in warcraft barely made sense after warcraft 3. Then we went and held hands to save the world together every three months give or take for a decade.

40k is a actual war story. Warcraft hasn't been since the horde was humanized.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    "YOU WILL NEVER DEFEAT ME MORTALS! OH YOU'VE DEFEATED ME! HOW???"

we're now so powerful that blowing our load cause a sonic boom which can blow up a sun.
    I like the art and interesting mechanics we get out of these ridiculous guys, at least. And the story to some extent, but not so much our involvement.

As characters, we're best off just blowing loads.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Deleted
    Many of the bad guys in WoW are basically Team Rocket.

Oh no, I have been beaten. I'll get you next time, heroooOooOooo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    I keep reading threads about how people are tired of the faction conflict and how Warcraft needs to move "forward" if it wants to survive and stay fresh.

Fuckin a?

Is that why people still salivate over Warhammer 40k annoucements? Because they hope that the next game all factions will unite together under a banner of peace alongside some newfound furry animal allies and fight the big bad evils of the universe, whilst everyone is breaking down in the background in family conflict dramas?

Is that why you think Warcraft gathered fans over its RTSes and MMO? Because they hoped to see which evil character would get redeemed next and which next bigger fucking mustache villain we would fight next in an anticlimactic, lacking any real lore or clear explanation to plotholes fight? Which Warcraft character which has gotten barely any screentime since the Warcraft 3 lore manual/RTS would get killed off next?

For many of us the faction war moving forward is what drives the game forward. Sylvanas said it best:

"Ours is a cycle of hatred. Alliances forged and broken. We've paid the price for sharing this world, and we have forgotten what makes us strong."

The story events of the Warcraft RTSes is what made us strong enough to be able to stand against the Legion in WC3. Forced evolution through combat between two of the most deadly and murderous factions in the universe. Stories of vengeance, death, destruction and promise of more vengeance.

Sargeras was the ultimate evil, a dude so unreachable in our minds he was just there to represent the godly powers of Warcraft. Now he's fucked, and btw it was all because he had good intentions. Next are the void lords. They're dudes so unreachable that we'll probably end up killing them for the next 3-4 expansions, and then we'll realize they had good intentions.

Who gives a fuck about that shit since it doesn't represent anything interesting other than a guy saying "YOU WILL NEVER DEFEAT ME MORTALS! OH YOU'VE DEFEATED ME! HOW???" What's next? You want to turn Warcraft into a Superman comic?

Oh yay, we're now fucking omnipotent, cue World of Warcraft 2 which is irrelevant because every known threat is DEAD and we're now so powerful that blowing our load cause a sonic boom which can blow up a sun. Woo-pee, such exciting storytelling.

I think you misunderstand something: Let's assume the faction war would be over, this would not mean that suddenly all conflicts would be over. There will always be individuals and organizations that strife for power or are blinded by their faith or something similar.
    The only difference would be that it is no longer horde vs alliance but instead (e.g.) Ebon Blade against Circle of Cenarius, no matter if the members of this factions are alliance or horde.
    In my opinion this kind of conflicts would make the whole world and lore way more believable at this point.

im more surprised that after so many wars there are still people alive to fight more wars in this game lol
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    I think you misunderstand something: Let's assume the faction war would be over, this would not mean that suddenly all conflicts would be over. There will always be individuals and organizations that strife for power or are blinded by their faith or something similar.
    The only difference would be that it is no longer horde vs alliance but instead (e.g.) Ebon Blade against Circle of Cenarius, no matter if the members of this factions are alliance or horde.
    In my opinion this kind of conflicts would make the whole world and lore way more believable at this point.
    Something like that, yeah. With the Horde and Alliance merging, and splinter factions maybe popping up, those who couldn't move past their hatred, earned or not.

I don't really get the link between the title and the OP content, TBH...

Deleted
    You're aware that wow 2 could (not that it'll ever exist) be set like 100 years in the future with new threats emerging? And all our old pc are dead? We have that arcane elemental in the mage artifact, the light, hakkar and many other new and old things we could fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, wouldn't call World of Warcraft an ultra-high fantasy game.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    ALL WILL BURN
    COME MORTALS
    NOOOO

On topic you are right, but wow moved away from classic fantasy and moved to high fantasy in TBC for good.
    There is no turning back.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal-bany View Post
    ALL WILL BURN
    COME MORTALS
    NOOOO

On topic you are right, but wow moved away from classic fantasy and moved to high fantasy in TBC for good.
    There is no turning back.
    I thought the BFA cinematics did a fantastic job at setting the tone to a more WC2/3 vibe, if only the story and gameplay could follow suit.

Christ if I have to listen to one more of Bran's "OMG CUM CUM CUM THIS WAS MADE BY THE TITUUUUNZZZZZZ"...yeah dude we get it it's fucking titan lore woop de doo.

I meself believe Alliance and Horde must be ALWAYS at each others throats. Only when big bad guy shows up they should agree to cease fire but DO NOT become allies. Simply redirect their aggression on common foes and then continue kill each others.

All this peace and unity bullshit came in W3 when Metzen decided to make his favorite orcs HONORAUBLIES SAVAHGES.

Humans and orcs. Gnomes and Goblins. Dwarves and Trolls. Alliance and Horde. They simply can't and shouldn't be at peace and love each others.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Yes, because glorified race wars are so much better...
    Just mindlessly recite 'FOR DUH <Insert faction>' and consume. You don't need a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by Louz View Post
    Lol in the name of the Light? Because night elves, gnomes, void elves and worgen are all about that worthless school of magic. HUMAN POTENTIAL, it's the indelible, inescapable mark of bullshit and 'in the name of the light' is its irritating call.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstars View Post
    I meself believe Alliance and Horde must be ALWAYS at each others throats.
    No
    Only when big bad guy shows up they should agree to cease fire but DO NOT become allies. Simply redirect their aggression on common foes and then continue kill each others.
    No

Humans and orcs. Gnomes and Goblins. Dwarves and Trolls. Alliance and Horde. They simply can't and shouldn't be at peace and love each others.
    You can have conflict without shithead factions. For example if I wanted to side with some Blood Elves and maybe even some Orcs to go stomp out the Light and its HUMAN POTENTIAL, playing a race I actually like, I should be able to do that, not be forced into being friends with some derpfaced, meathead human because of a worthless shit Alliance that has never done shit for me.
    Fuck you, Give me Money- Bli$$ard