Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I also feel like it's quite odd as Golden has, in the past, been held up as one of the better authors of the novels of the Warcraft universe - it's been Richard Knaak who has held the post of whipping boy for having the worst novels.
    She was always considered better than Knaak and that gave her a lot of undeserved praise. Blizzard has obviously seen this and gave her a job as a PR maneuver. Its only now that people discover that she might be better than Knaak, but not by much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    She was always considered better than Knaak and that gave her a lot of undeserved praise. Blizzard has obviously seen this and gave her a job as a PR maneuver. Its only now that people discover that she might be better than Knaak, but not by much.
    I think the hope was that a generally well liked and award-winning author would help with their storyboard and continuity processes (issues they've been genuinely criticized for in the past) - but Golden stepping into this more official role has made her a magnet for those unfocused criticisms, even if they may not belong to her. In her short time in Blizzard's employment I've seen her blamed for a litany of "crimes," even for the narrative trajectory of characters she couldn't have had anything to do with. Pinning *everything* on her is just as wrongheaded as pinning everything on Dave Kosak, or Greg Street - the WoW crew has a number of writers on its staff, and though Golden's position is that of a senior writer she still's not working in a vacuum. She works alongside and with Andrew Robinson, Terran Gregory, Jeff Chamberlain, Ian Hazzikostas, and many others. The CDev team (of which Golden is a part) is a pretty largish crew relative to the design and production team who control the gameplay elements of WoW (and are obviously the larger and more important of the two teams) - so while Golden has name prominence, she's not the proverbial controller or ultimate director of WoW's narrative or story, either.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    the Goblin and Gnome chapters felt like a side story that was pushed into this, to fill pages. It also reeks of morality and doing the write thing crap, because no one can do anything devious and get away with it.
    It was also adorable so it gets the pass.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

People are so willing to crucify Christie Golden for following Blizzard's direction of making Sylvanas the villain she's been for 16 years they're just going to start lying about clearly researchable things.

Desolace is ugly and dead except for one specific area. And Pandaren are less about, "Let's make world peace" and more about balance. The Tauren have actively tried to work for peace.

I really hope she just completely ignores MMO-Champion, Reddit, and the official forums. I can't imagine having to deal with the deluge of insanely over the top blind hatred based on complete misinformation like she does. No wonder people like Metzen rarely use Twitter and Afrasiabi just left.

- - - Updated - - -

the Goblin and Gnome chapters felt like a side story that was pushed into this, to fill pages. It also reeks of morality and doing the write thing crap, because no one can do anything devious and get away with it.
    It was to show the power level of Azerite to normal people who follow the canon but aren't constantly looking at datamined information like a lot of people on here. Assuming you just followed the story from a spoiler-free level, you really didn't know anything about it until the novel.
    Last edited by Necroxis; 2018-06-22 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroxis View Post
    People are so willing to crucify Christie Golden for following Blizzard's direction of making Sylvanas the villain she's been for 16 years they're just going to start lying about clearly researchable things.

Desolace is ugly and dead except for one specific area. And Pandaren are less about, "Let's make world peace" and more about balance. The Tauren have actively tried to work for peace.

I really hope she just completely ignores MMO-Champion, Reddit, and the official forums. I can't imagine having to deal with the deluge of insanely over the top blind hatred based on complete misinformation like she does. No wonder people like Metzen rarely use Twitter and Afrasiabi just left.
    Says the guy that makes a youtube video where he rages when character he doesnt like appears in a cinematic.

Says the guy that makes a youtube video where he rages when character he doesnt like appears in a cinematic.
    I do? That's interesting. Please go ahead and post the part where I say, "Fuck Sylvanas" and give the middle finger as if you're making a point.

Its hilarious that y'all are still so triggered over that.

Its hilarious that y'all are still so triggered over that
    Not really triggered, I just think its funny and sad at the same time.

Not really triggered, I just think its funny and sad at the same time.
    Nah you and your ilk constantly bring it up. You're triggered af and its hilarious that you still think you were making a point then or now. There's something truly special about that level of cringelord.

Anyhow, I'm not going to drive the thread any more off topic than you already want it to be, so to the ignore list with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was nice to cut from the main story from time to time to these two. We like a breath of fresh air every once once in a while.

Nah you and your ilk constantly bring it up. You're triggered af and its hilarious that you still think you were making a point then or now. There's something truly special about that level of cringelord.

Anyhow, I'm not going to drive the thread any more off topic than you already want it to be, so to the ignore list with you.
    It takes a special person to consider his youtube rants to be triggering to others.

And of course, me and my ilk. What do you mean by that. "Chronic Sylvanas Masturbators" or something? I mentioned multiple times that Sylvanas is weak and must die, but only when someone worthy to replace her appears.

I do? That's interesting. Please go ahead and post the part where I say, "Fuck Sylvanas" and give the middle finger as if you're making a point.

Thanks for reminding me to ignore you on the new account!
    Yes. Criticizing someone is equal to hating someone and everyone is always triggered. I wonder how you would discuss things before the invention of these phrases by tumblr.

When I say I don't like the story direction Golden is taking I don't hate her. I just don't like the story direction she is taking. When I say that making the entire conflict black and white is boring I'm not "triggered that the waifu is showed in a bad light".

It seems to me that the people defending the current writing to the mark are using way more hyperbole and make way more personal attacks and overall appear just more triggered than the guys who say "SoO v2 is shit", but that may be just me. People have been calling other people nazi apologists on this very forum because they like a evil character in a fictional universe. Way to go.

I guess the lone alliance fans that agree that the story direction in BFA is stupid are also all triggered because they secretly love undead elf chicks.

10+ Year Old Account
    She's up to date on the lore as she's working for Blizzard now and they would have reviewed and approved her book before release. As others have brought up, she's referencing a part of Desolace that really is still a barren wasteland. Most of it is. As for Sylvanis being evil in the book, well she's been evil for the entirety of WoW, so that's nothing new. The same with Anduin always being good. I get that people were looking for some nuance to it, but if that's how Blizzard wants to portray those characters, then it makes sense that they continue to be that way in the book too.

I was a little surprised by the goblin/gnome story as I was expecting their creations to make their way into the Horde's weaponry for BFA. She took it down a different path and they were more focused on the protection/healing capabilities of Azerite, so the Horde developed the weaponry a different way then was talked about in the book.

When I say I don't like the story direction Golden is taking I don't hate her. I just don't like the story direction she is taking. When I say that making the entire conflict black and white is boring I'm not "triggered that the waifu is showed in a bad light".
    I wasn't responding to you nor was calling everybody who dislikes the current direction of the story as triggered in the comment you've quoted. I'm talking about a very specific few number of posters who were perma-triggered over a reaction to the broken shore cinematic I did on my youtube channel---to the point that they still bring it up to this day.

I've publicly expressed my displeasure with a lot of the BfA storyline myself a bunch of times. To the point that me saying on my own Twitter that I wanted to refund BfA because of my disatisfaction over the BfA storyline was brought up a few times, by those people I mentioned, on this forum in threads I weren't even involved in.

The one thing that I do think is unfounded is the argument that Sylvanas has suddenly changed or that they're making her evil when she's been acting in a way very consistent to this since the very beginning. I don't think Blizzard is making the conflict black-and-white at all. If anything the only villains in the story seem to be Sylvanas and Gallywix to a much lesser extent, who are pushing the entire conflict.

On the Horde's side you have Saurfang and Baine, already from the get-go, showing that the Horde as a faction aren't evil.

I have no idea about the nazi apologist thing. You even acknowledge that she's evil in your own post. If you love an evil character for who that character actually is, instead of some fantasy version of it that never existed, then more power to you. That's awesome. Gul'dan and Azshara are my favorite characters in the entire story and they're totally evil.
    Last edited by Necroxis; 2018-06-22 at 12:18 PM.

You even acknowledge that she's evil in your own post. If you love an evil character for who that character actually is, instead of some fantasy version of it that never existed, then more power to you. That's awesome. Gul'dan and Azshara are my favorite characters in the entire story and they're totally evil.
    I even think that Evil Horde is the way to go. That is entirely possible in WoW without ending either faction (and making the game impossible to play for half of the players), even with a coherent story and is way better than Alliance and "slightly more greyish" Alliance as factions.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    so can i get examples of christie goldens writing that was horrible? i listened to the audio book and i found it quite good. right now i just think people hate her because she isn't metzen.
    Mostly her fangirling manduin that people dislike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    I even think that Evil Horde is the way to go. That is entirely possible in WoW without ending either faction (and making the game impossible to play for half of the players), even with a coherent story and is way better than Alliance and "slightly more greyish" Alliance as factions.
    I dont think they could satisfyingly pull it off in a MMO where they aren't willing to make a faction just undeniably lose in a storyline. Not Blizzard, at least. I mean you see Sylvanas being set up as being the villain of the current conflict and people are losing their goddamn minds about it, every single day, all day long, since the first datamined information about it was found.

Its really why I want WoW to end and them to make Warcraft 4 so they can make factions win and lose again, and kill off main characters without it seeming like they're screwing over one of the two factions.
    Last edited by Necroxis; 2018-06-22 at 12:23 PM.

Its really why I want WoW to end and them to make Warcraft 4 so they can make factions win and lose again, and kill off main characters without it seeming like they're screwing over one of the two factions.
    Oh yes, I agree.

I also felt the same after reading it, but someone in another thread (can't find it atm) noted that this part of the story is probably meant to explain the positive influence of Azerite. This couple started out fighting and she hated him, but while working with Azerite, they become more peaceful and loving and were able to invent plenty of things, all of which were meant for protection or safety, not about causing harm, even though she earlier states that Goblins only care about blowing things up.
    Their whole plotline shows that Azerite is in basic a positive influence, which might mean that the nascent titan is also in basic a positive force and perhaps not yet corrupted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Patience and reason do appear to be in short supply these days in the gaming community.

https://youtu.be/ZRIEkxRVrmY?t=278
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangris View Post
    Get a new talking point broseph.