View Poll Results: Is immigration to first world countries a human right?

Voters
427. This poll is closed
  • Yes

36 8.43%
  • No

391 91.57%
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Yeah, but very soon Mexico might be ruled by corrupt communists, which will likely make the problems even worse considering the track record of communism in countries like that. It seems like going to the extreme left in Mexico and South America has caused a great deal of damage.
    Communists are always corrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Well, people of bad faith could say that a lot of refugees are coming from place ''freedomized'' by the USA. For instance, Mexico, while not the richest country on Earth and with plentiful problems on it's own, have some slight issues because it's between quite American customers and producers eager to supply them.
    So what? People in those places should have the perpetual right to go in the USA? That will certainly help those countries to get better when their populace will leave en masse.

7+ Year Old Account
    Mexico, feeling comfortable enough to regularly criticize the USA. Thanks Trump!

Edit:
    Is immigration to first world countries a human right?
    No

But, I certainly do wish first world countries were responsible for the over all health and well being of the world and its inhabitants.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    Is many the amount of people you can fit into a McDonalds bathroom to you?
    The man who is likely going to be the next president of Mexico has made this a central point of his campaign, Trump may even be helping him win by taking a position against illegal aliens. It is certainly a significant percentage of the population in Mexico that believes this.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Honestly I'm semi torn on this subject because America is far from faultless in the problems of other countries. That isn't to say that Mexico (for this example) is innocent of their issues but my admittedly limited knowledge of the subject is that we've done a lot of damage through gun/drug trade with cartels to hurt the quality of living of Mexicans. But if we have hurt a country and endangered it's peoples through direct or indirect actions, then I don't see much wrong with that countries peoples flee'ing to us.

Okay. That a Mexican in 2018 is subjected to WAY more control than a French-Canadian, Italian or Irish migrant worker in the 19th century, whose sole employability was ''menial unskilled work''
    To be entirely fair, once upon a time menial unskilled work was able to support an individual or a family much better then it currently could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

No but it shouldn't be so painful, expensive, and arduous to do. I was listening to a news story about a lady who spent 13 years going through the process. That's ridiculous.

Way I see it, every other major first world country has laws in place if you want to immigrate there. Why should the US be any different? All these people are here illegally, and if they are NOT legal US citizens or have green cards/work visas, then it should be our right as a country to deport these people. Yes, the separation of children from their parents was a pretty low blow, but to actually round up the illegals at all is progress. much of our crime in the southwest comes from illegals, so to deport them is a step towards reducing crime. As for some of our nationalization laws, the whole "if you're born in the US or on US controlled soil (ie territories or military bases) then you are granted citizenship" thing is being abused by these families crossing the border. They'll have children, and then use that as a technicality. Only law we should have is if you are born to a citizen, then you are a citizen. If you are born to a citizen while outside the US or its territory, then proof of some sort (like a DNA test). Otherwise, sorry to sound cruel, but if the kids are illegal too, they kinda need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    But, I certainly do wish first world countries were responsible for the over all health and well being of the world and its inhabitants.
    You mean, if in first world countries you actually had benevolent rulers, as opposed to a system in which oligarchs engage in constant petty infighting over power? Have you ever considered it a possibility that democracy is actually bad, in that it results in a permanent internal power struggle?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

It is a belief by many people that immigration to the United States is a universal human right. The leading candidate for president in Mexico recently said just this, suggesting that everyone in South America should pack up and head to the US. Is he right? And more broadly, could this be applied to all third world immigrants moving to first world countries?

By his line of reasoning, couldn't Exxon mobile just go into Mexico and start drilling for oil without paying the Mexican government? Recognition of borders is what stops countries from having to militarize their frontiers, and the attempted elimination of borders will inevitably result in scenarios like this.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/22/me...ration-speech/
    You know things are different when you quote them in context sort of what happens when you quote the daily caller if you go to the source it translates to this.

“And soon, very soon — after the victory of our movement — we will defend all the migrants in the American continent and all the migrants in the world who by necessity must leave their villages to seek life in the United States, It is their human rights that we are going to defend
    My translation could be wrong but since no other outlet is reporting like the dailycaller that I can find I am going to put this as fake news since dailycaller is just another Fox News 2.0

It's not a human right, human rights come into it depending on how immigrants/asylum seekers are treated.

I know this won't stop the conservative circle jerk but this is a report from the rally from journalists who don't have their heads up Trump's ass.

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador — front-runner in the July 1 election — charged that U.S. authorities were expelling the children in “inhumane conditions.”

The candidate of the National Regeneration Movement asked that President Enrique Peña Nieto deliver a note of protest to the White House and that a team of “experts” be dispatched to the U.S.-Mexico border to assist repatriated children and their families. He also asked for a United Nations investigation of a policy that, Lopez Obrador said, “goes against the most fundamental human rights.”
    http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-...619-story.html

considering the US is primarily at fault for the conditions of the countries many people are fleeing from? yes

Those from the 'no borders' brigade will argue it is a human right because they believe people should be able to wander the globe like wildebeest.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Those from the 'no borders' brigade will argue it is a human right because they believe people should be able to wander the globe like wildebeest.
    Maybe is a mysterious nation was not hellbent on wrecking countries abroad...

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Abusing your neighbors' relative wealth and generosity to make up for your own vast shortcomings... seems like the typical leftist agenda.
    Those dastardly Mexicans are obviously the ones forcing at gunpoint Columbians to sell drugs to American crime syndicates who sell it to all-American customers.

Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    considering the US is primarily at fault for the conditions of the countries many people are fleeing from? yes
    Yes, the evil US that set up the corrupt Mexico and Venezuela governments. I seriously don't understand all the US hate, yet everyone wants to live there.

7+ Year Old Account
    You mean, if in first world countries you actually had benevolent rulers, as opposed to a system in which oligarchs engage in constant petty infighting over power? Have you ever considered it a possibility that democracy is actually bad, in that it results in a permanent internal power struggle?
    Way the fuck off track with what you quoted. Have that conversation with someone who actually wants to talk to such tangents.

You're going to have to cite very specific evidence for this claim.
    Who caused this wonderful mess in Syria and Iraq ?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, so are you in support of the war on drugs?
    That war obviously worked about as well as the one in Vietnam or against terror.

Maybe is a mysterious nation was not hellbent on wrecking countries abroad...
    I tell you what, you cite a list of all the evil things the US has done in the world and I'll cite a list of all the good and we will see which list is longer. And for fun, lets play that same game for a country like Iran.

That we even talk about "illegal" immigration as if it's anything other than non-issue is hilarious to me. If Republicans actually cared they'd arrest, fine, and imprison business admins and management that willfully hire undocumented workers. Instead, using Trump as the perfect example, they hire them while doing everything in their power to make sure that it's overlooked. That's how you know that this is all smoke and mirrors, because if Republican politicians actually cracked down on business owners this little issue would be solved practically overnight. The reality is that they LOVE cheap labor that they can exploit, and that's readily apparent as the party constantly tries to dismantle labor rights for domestic workers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Depends. Does every migrant support things like the 1st amendment? Is there a large surplus of resources like water and housing?

Currently there is no universal right, it's conditional on how good the society is at integrating people and producing useful stuff.