Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Restore in this context isn't accurate. Techincally they want someone to faithfully port/convert original art style into the new engine.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Nope. They are not using "the modern engine".
    Do you long to travel back to Azeroth before the Mists of Pandaria parted, and before Deathwing broke the world? When the fog obscured the view into the distance, and weather had just been added? Do you have fond memories of the original character animations, and spell effects? Can you help us restore that look to our modern engine? Then the World of Warcraft Classic Engineering team has an opportunity for you.
    Are you illiterate? Please read the bolded part

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    What makes you think they have all the same programmers and engineers on staff after nearly 15 years? It's already been established that old undocumented spaghetti code is an issue they struggle with and that a non-trivial amount of the work they do involves replacing, reorganizing, or updating old sections of the codebase.
    i feel like at the end of the day they will pull out the excuse that they werent able to make the game as it was cuz of that blah-blah-blah

and i know a lot of blizzard fanboys will be defending them still

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    i feel like at the end of the day they will pull out the excuse that they werent able to make the game as it was cuz of that blah-blah-blah

and i know a lot of blizzard fanboys will be defending them still
    It will not be exactly as it was because it is being built on the new engine. It will be classic wow: the vanilla experience and not vanilla wow re-released

I'd like to think of it as updating the Vanilla content to work well with current tech. If anyone still has CDs or 3.5" floppies of old games, you'll find out fast that most don't run well or not at all on more modern computers, despite arguably faster/better tech. It's not just that the WoW engine/assets/infrastructure have changed over the years, so has our gaming hardware, drivers, operating systems, etc. I've had games break, distort graphically, and just plain not work at all with just a single driver update, the potential for problems increases drastically when you start adding more variables. Blizz is likely making sure that everything will run as smoothly as possible despite all these variables.

*edit* - As a slight aside, this is why I have several partitions with different operating systems on my computer, as some older games that I like will not run on Win10 at all (despite Compatibility Mode and various setting changes).
    Last edited by exochaft; 2018-06-22 at 11:38 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I'd like to think of it as updating the Vanilla content to work well with current tech. If anyone still has CDs or 3.5" floppies of old games, you'll find out fast that most don't run well or not at all on more modern computers, despite arguably faster/better tech. It's not just that the WoW engine/assets/infrastructure have changed over the years, so has our gaming hardware, drivers, operating systems, etc. I've had games break, distort graphically, and just plain not work at all with just a single driver update, the potential for problems increases drastically when you start adding more variables. Blizz is likely making sure that everything will run as smoothly as possible despite all these variables.

*edit* - As a slight aside, this is why I have several partitions with different operating systems on my computer, as some older games that I like will not run on Win10 at all (despite Compatibility Mode and various setting changes).
    I just run old game in virtual OS's

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    They won't do that. They could fall back before they publicly announced Classic. Now they have no way back.

Nope. They are not using "the modern engine".
    Them saying that they're using the modern engine and client means that they're using the old one?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drobu View Post
    Looks like the classic graphics, models and animations are confirmed.

https://careers.blizzard.com/de-de/openings/oYEO7fwh

Do you long to travel back to Azeroth before the Mists of Pandaria parted, and before Deathwing broke the world? When the fog obscured the view into the distance, and weather had just been added? Do you have fond memories of the original character animations, and spell effects? Can you help us restore that look to our modern engine? Then the World of Warcraft Classic Engineering team has an opportunity for you.
    It seems that this graphic update will be in line with the one made in SC1 remastered. Good news! OMG hyped

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Them saying that they're using the modern engine and client means that they're using the old one?
    Modern engine does not = client.

The engine is what the client is built ontop of....... SO you think that they are going to rebuild the old client to use the modern engine........ Wow you are sounding more ignorant at every post.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    The engine is what the client is built ontop of....... SO you think that they are going to rebuild the old client to use the modern engine........ Wow you are sounding more ignorant at every post.
    Such animosity! It's all in the interpretation of what was said. Blizzard is a master of taking an easily described thing, and obfuscating it.

I do not believe the post means what you think it means. You believe otherwise. I accept that either of us are wrong.

While it is possible they are researching the possibilities... after all it IS a Software Engineer (C++) position... I firmly believe it goes far beyond what a handful of people can accomplish. For all I know, the "engine" is a module of the client... just a piece of the entire game.. the "display part" and they may be trying to use it with the old client.

Again, they said it didn't want to work with "our newer graphics cards"... that would mean Legion doesn't want to work with their "modern cards" if they are using the SAME engine. It is far more likely they are incorporating the modern graphics "engine" in the old client in order to be compatible with modern cards.

This might mean that things are displayed differently (which is why they talk shaders and such)... and trying to see how closely they can display the game using new graphics display calls.

I will concede that this may very well change, to a small degree, the look of the game. But I personally am not concerned with that... as long as the game mechanics are the same, the reward, effort, interaction is the same... I'm golden.

Can't wait to see green wrath for druid again... I don't know why but brings back good memories of the game, love it way more than current golden version even though it might make more sense this way...
    Also insect swarm!

Such animosity! It's all in the interpretation of what was said. Blizzard is a master of taking an easily described thing, and obfuscating it.

I do not believe the post means what you think it means. You believe otherwise. I accept that either of us are wrong.

While it is possible they are researching the possibilities... after all it IS a Software Engineer (C++) position... I firmly believe it goes far beyond what a handful of people can accomplish. For all I know, the "engine" is a module of the client... just a piece of the entire game.. the "display part" and they may be trying to use it with the old client.

Again, they said it didn't want to work with "our newer graphics cards"... that would mean Legion doesn't want to work with their "modern cards" if they are using the SAME engine. It is far more likely they are incorporating the modern graphics "engine" in the old client in order to be compatible with modern cards.

This might mean that things are displayed differently (which is why they talk shaders and such)... and trying to see how closely they can display the game using new graphics display calls.

I will concede that this may very well change, to a small degree, the look of the game. But I personally am not concerned with that... as long as the game mechanics are the same, the reward, effort, interaction is the same... I'm golden.
    They said the old engine did not want to work with newer graphics cards. Legion/BFA does work fine with newer graphics cards. Please look at this logically: Strikes against the old client:
    Security: you would basically have to completely recode the entire client to be compliant with modern security practices. Disassembling the the old code and recoding would be way to expensive compared to reskinning the new client using.......THE NEW ENGINE
    Scalability: The new client uses the new distribution method for sending patches, updates and hardware compatibility. It also means they are only managing one client for both version of wow(saving money on devops), allowing them to run on the same server configuration and lastly limits the client to 64-bit which stops a large variety of bots from injecting code
    Cost effectiveness: Decoding and determining 14 year old code functionality is extremely time consuming and expensive. Then rebuilding it around the new engine and new database would basically be taking the game and building it from the ground up and making an entirely new client for it when they already have a fully functioning client in the BFA client that has the full integration into database structures.
    Knowledge: Blizzard has people on staff the intimately knows the BFA client on a recent level that a reskin will be more effective and fix more of the bugs than the vanilla client that if they have people still on staff from they have not looked at it in 14 years.

Sorry buddy you are grasping at straws and about to drown. Why reinvent the wheel when you already have a sportscar running that just needs a paintjob.

Ha ha ha! I guess some people cannot respect a different opinion. I guess we'll see when Classic goes into beta/release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait to roll a tauren that run like a tauren and not like an iceskating diva

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    Can't wait to roll a tauren that run like a tauren and not like an iceskating diva

They run like this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post

They run like this?
    Yeah. When I get some kind of speed boost on my taurens I always laugh, so maybe it's not such a bad thing!
    SKATING AT HYPERSPEED

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    We are talking about art elements though. There's no reason to pull in a person for the sole purpose of adding the old models back to the client, they have those models already, because we know they have working PreBC clients and servers that they were testing with, and we know that the old models work fine on the new system, because there are still a ton of them in the current live game.

"Restore old models" means retain high fidelity and bring the quality up to more modern standards. If it were the system restore kind, you'd expect "re-implement old models" and you'd expect no need to work with artists, because all you're doing is transferring existing things to the blended game version.
    That is not how it works when it comes to things like this.

Yes it does.