Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Getting real tired of DLC lore

I don't understand, for full AAA game costs + sub costs, we're still not entitled to the full lore of the game, we also have to buy books and comics outside the game to experience the full storyline and character development?

I remember reading the WC2 and WC3 lore manuals...christ it was like reading an abbreviated version of LOTR, even the units had descriptions and lore attached to them.

Hell, most of the lore you still see developed in this game to this day is from the WC3 lore manual. Azshara, titans, Suramar elves and Well of Eternity...why the fuck do we have to pay for lore now?

Back in pre-BC the game even had tons of in-game lore books you could read. I know that throwing money at the problem doesn't solve the issue but in this case...it kind of fucking does. You just need someone who knows how a keyboard works and a 1st grade ready comprehesion level to sit there and type this shit in game in a quest log or manual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is a business.

Businesses like to make money.

Also the books wouldn't fit into the game neatly, sitting there staring at your monitor reading an ingame book sounds awful.

But this seems like such a non-issue. I love the books.

You can even get a free audible trial and just get it free, like why complain.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I, too, miss the manuals that had tons of lore and cool art. It was so great reading through them while the game was installing, just absorbing all that information and being giddy the whole time.

If the lore summaries you can get from third party sites (and blizzard's own site, they have a lot of free content too) aren't enough, go to the library. They carry more than just Wuthering Heights, they have pulpy fantasy books too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    Blizzard is a business.

Also the books wouldn't fit into the game neatly, sitting there staring at your monitor reading an ingame book sounds awful.

Dude most of those books are filled with a ton of filler bullshit, e.g:

"Lor'themar sat behind his desk in the light of a half moon, its beams gracing his elegant elven features with a hallowed glow of..." WHO GIVES A FUCK?

Facts dude, I just wants facts: who what when where why. That's what the lore manuals had in the game boxes as well as the in-game lore manuals in pre-BC.

I don't care about Tolkienesque descriptions about how the 50 shades of colors of the leaves of Silvermoon or how Jaina was being pleasured on a cold winter night by her water elemental's water jet as she was reminiscind about Arthas' long hard holy cock. It's all goddamn useless filler.

I just want the facts, presented in a an intriguing and inspiring way which makes me crave for more, as it used to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post

"Lor'themar sat behind his desk in the light of a half moon, its beams gracing his elegant elven features with a hallowed glow of..." WHO GIVES A FUCK?

Facts dude, I just wants facts: who what when where why. That's what the lore manuals had in the game boxes as well as the in-game lore manuals in pre-BC.

I don't care about Tolkienesque descriptions about how the 50 shades of colors of the leaves of Silvermoon or how Jaina was being pleasured on a cold winter night by her water elemental's water jet as she was reminiscind about Arthas' long hard holy cock. It's all goddamn useless filler.

I just want the facts, presented in a an intriguing and inspiring way which makes me crave for more, as it used to.
    Don't expect any manuals to be a thing, they went out of style since 2000's industry wide and you sound incredibly bitter what company killed your family?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

i know this may come as a surprise to you, but it's not all about you. game design isnt about what you want. and no one cares. stop whining.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty annoyed at this too in some regards.

While I'm fine with lore books that explains the universe (Chronicles) or goes into a person's background / past story being something you pay for... ANYTHING that happens in the present, especially REALLY important things, should be available to people who pays for a sub. This is the reason I never buy those books, I just don't want to support such practise.

So, yeah - bring back the fun manuals with lore in them!

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    Blizzard is a business.

Thats a bad excuse, and that logic is why the industry has been trampling on player expectations for the last decade or so.

So long as you play devil's advocate for billion dollar corporations, we will continue to get inferior quality games.

Stop kissing their asses.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand, for full AAA game costs + sub costs, we're still not entitled to the full lore of the game, we also have to buy books and comics outside the game to experience the full storyline and character development?

I remember reading the WC2 and WC3 lore manuals...christ it was like reading an abbreviated version of LOTR, even the units had descriptions and lore attached to them.

Hell, most of the lore you still see developed in this game to this day is from the WC3 lore manual. Azshara, titans, Suramar elves and Well of Eternity...why the fuck do we have to pay for lore now?

Back in pre-BC the game even had tons of in-game lore books you could read. I know that throwing money at the problem doesn't solve the issue but in this case...it kind of fucking does. You just need someone who knows how a keyboard works and a 1st grade ready comprehesion level to sit there and type this shit in game in a quest log or manual.
    youre aware that the synopsis of every wow book/comic/manga is right there on wowwiki and/or wowhead? you dont have to pay for anything

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    youre aware that the synopsis of every wow book/comic/manga is right there on wowwiki and/or wowhead? you dont have to pay for anything
    This.

OP you want a "manual" instead of a book, here ya go. The resources are out there if you look for them. I'd love to see all this lore in game, but it's not gonna happen. Supplemental sources aren't a bad thing when the mediums are vastly different. It gives people the option to go deeper than the gameplay, and for those like you who don't feel like committing to a novel, there are free breakdowns readily available.
    http://www.wowhead.com/before-the-storm
    Last edited by Bathory; 2018-06-24 at 02:48 AM.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    I'm pretty annoyed at this too in some regards.

While I'm fine with lore books that explains the universe (Chronicles) or goes into a person's background / past story being something you pay for... ANYTHING that happens in the present, especially REALLY important things, should be available to people who pays for a sub. This is the reason I never buy those books, I just don't want to support such practise.

So, yeah - bring back the fun manuals with lore in them!
    So that everyone who doesn't buy a physical copy of the game misses the lore instead?

I know the full lore of the game without buying any books.

Your argument is invalid, and stupid.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Thats a bad excuse, and that logic is why the industry has been trampling on player expectations for the last decade or so.

So long as you play devil's advocate for billion dollar corporations, we will continue to get inferior quality games.

Stop kissing their asses.
    Not really, it's his opinion and he's allowed to have it good or ill. If you wanna rant about industry problems this topic is not one of them.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I, too, miss the manuals that had tons of lore and cool art. It was so great reading through them while the game was installing, just absorbing all that information and being giddy the whole time.
    I still have my book from the original Diablo. It really had some great art.

Getting real tired... time for bed

Are we really using "DLC" now to describe books and comics?

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

I would call this more extended lore than DLC. You really get all the lore in the game its just not told very well and it takes finding and reading a lot of odds and ends most people don't know about or bother with. Then it is also the age of the interent.. so even if its not in the game you can find it pretty easy. Books and comics are pretty much for people that enjoy that stuff.. would be dumb for a business to avoid that. Plus it lets a lot stronger writers and story tellers move the story forward in the direction the creators/owner desire.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    So that everyone who doesn't buy a physical copy of the game misses the lore instead?
    PDF files to download, says enough I think.

Iam pissed that we never got to see the Windrunner sisters reunite ingame with voice acting but instead we got that awful drawn cartoon comic!

FFS blizz let us roleplay a little i mean would it have killed you to have added that to the game? I mean we couldve had Sylvanas and her 'Champion' who was Horde and Alleria and her 'Champion' who was ally and we couldve done a few quests to kill a few nameless mobs in Ghostlands but instead we get a shitty comic that i bet most people who play WOW never even knew existed unless they read the forums which most dont!

This is poor showing imo and i too am sick of major lore points being put in books hardly anyone reads and then wondering why certain NPCs say and act the way they do and having to go to WoWpedia just to find out cause i didnt buy the damn book!!