Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Trion Buys Gazillion Entertainment Assets

So, in an interesting turn of events, Trion has bought out a lot of Gazillion Entertainment Assets.

According to Scott Hartsman this will"empower Trion Worlds to provide better technology to outside teams looking to bring their games and ideas to fruition through its publishing and partnership programs". Also it allows a company to "substantially reduce the time of their development cycles and greatly expedite the creation of exiting new projects".

Not exactly happy about this given the current state of Rift, kinda think the money would have been better spent on improving Rift. Just my thoughts no one wanted

OY.

Don't be silly Lythelia. Your thoughts are always appreciated as long as they are presented well and constructive.

My thought on this. The only thing that comes to mind is they could be acquiring the rights to Marvel Heroes but well I doubt it. And quite frankly I wouldn't want that game tarnished further by Trion.

Although I'm curious what assets Gazillion have these days. Although I agree. Trion are just wasting more money than is necessary at this point imo.

Aw, well thank you.

From what I read, it almost sounds like they're trying to be more like a Steam service than a game dev team but hard to say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Aw, well thank you.

From what I read, it almost sounds like they're trying to be more like a Steam service than a game dev team but hard to say for sure.
    Not a chance.

They don't have the pushing power that other services similar to it have.

They cannot manage 2 iterations of the same game or even 4 games with 1 project that they publish.

They should not be trying to turn Glyph into a Steam like service until they get a handle on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    OY.

Don't be silly Lythelia. Your thoughts are always appreciated as long as they are presented well and constructive.

My thought on this. The only thing that comes to mind is they could be acquiring the rights to Marvel Heroes but well I doubt it. And quite frankly I wouldn't want that game tarnished further by Trion.

Although I'm curious what assets Gazillion have these days. Although I agree. Trion are just wasting more money than is necessary at this point imo.
    No chance since Disney owns those rights now. The game only kept going as long as it did because Disney allowed it.

Ontopic: I don't expect much from this honestly. It actually makes little sense as to why they would buy up the company's assists. Maybe they had some IP's in the works we didn't know about and they was almost finished.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Aw, well thank you.

That's what Glyph was initially going to be (following their Red Door publishing platform falling through), but they never seemed to get much buy in from developers and only hosted a small number of third party titles before they turned Glyph into a Trion games launcher.

Likely just buying a lot of their tech so they have access to it to support their existing backends/any future projects. Because they can't touch the assets from MH (though they now have the engine it's built on), nor any other IP Gaz may have been working on.

10+ Year Old Account

Certainly was a bolt from the blue, wasn't a hint of this anywhere until Venturebeat published it.

Doubt it's for Marvel Heroes which closed nine months ago but it seems the deal was under negotiation even back then:

As for Marvel Heroes, Hartsman said, “As this deal just concluded, there’s still more investigation that needs to occur. What we do know is that the company’s live servers were gone prior to our discussions with them. We believe that the license agreement behind that game expired prior to our involvement as well.
    This piece in the article caught my eye:

The Gazillion assets include a game engine that makes it easier to develop isometric games. Trion Worlds isn’t calling its collection of services and technology a “game engine,” as it will partner with game engine makers such as Unity and Epic Games
    Bought the assets for the game engine? bought to partner up with Unity? wishful thinking might be a new engine for Rift but probably just that, wishful thinking.

Full article: https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/25/t...-partnerships/

Deleted
    Trion Worlds. Makers of mediocre, forgettable games.

Why am I not hyped?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultraxion View Post
    A shame for you 17 million plus Trove players don't agree.....

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's what Glyph was initially going to be (following their Red Door publishing platform falling through), but they never seemed to get much buy in from developers and only hosted a small number of third party titles before they turned Glyph into a Trion games launcher.

Likely just buying a lot of their tech so they have access to it to support their existing backends/any future projects. Because they can't touch the assets from MH (though they now have the engine it's built on), nor any other IP Gaz may have been working on.
    To be fair though branching out in the first place is what put them in the situation they are in today.

And at the time Glyph was conceived and released they were already starting to spiral downwards. My guess is no big name wanted to invest.

Only dev name they have on it now is XL games for Archeage and even then it's only because they publish it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraxion View Post

Why am I not hyped?
    Because you pretty much nailed it?

They haven't made a single game recently other than Trove that's done half decent. From what I recall it's had something like 15-17 million accounts created but considering 4.5k are active on Steam I find it hard to believe the other 16,995,500 are active across everywhere else. I mean if you counted PS4, Xbox One and non Steam that would be an average of 5 million or so players per platform which I doubt are active.

For a lifetime number that is indeed impressive but it does not have that many active players. It's a marketing gimmick like FF14's 10 million.

All their other games as of late are just not doing well. Live Rift is suffering because of Prime and is even more of a ghost town, Defiance is getting a lazy "relaunch", Archeage didn't do so well with it's fresh start and Atlas Reactor went F2P and still didn't gain any ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    No chance since Disney owns those rights now. The game only kept going as long as it did because Disney allowed it.

Ontopic: I don't expect much from this honestly. It actually makes little sense as to why they would buy up the company's assists. Maybe they had some IP's in the works we didn't know about and they was almost finished.
    Yeah that's why it's good. Wouldn't want Trion within a mile of relaunching MH.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-06-26 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    A shame for you 17 million plus Trove players don't agree.....
    Mind linking a source that there is 17 million plus Trove players and not 17 million accounts made? There is a massive ass difference in the two.

Example: WoW likely has 3-7 million active accounts but over 100 million was made.

There is a massive ass difference in accounts made and actual active player's.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah that's why it's good. Wouldn't want Trion within a mile of relaunching MH.
    See this makes me laugh

The Gazillion assets include a game engine that makes it easier to develop isometric games
    Didn't they just shutdown two games, Devilian and whatever the other one was called that got revamped in development/beta like 10 times.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Mind linking a source that there is 17 million plus Trove players and not 17 million accounts made? There is a massive ass difference in the two.

Example: WoW likely has 3-7 million active accounts but over 100 million was made.

There is a massive ass difference in accounts made and actual active player's.

- - - Updated - - -

See this makes me laugh

Didn't they just shutdown two games, Devilian and whatever the other one was called that got revamped in development/beta like 10 times.
    Devilian was published but well publishers still have heavy involvement in the game. It was developed by Bluehole though and well they have PUBG carrying them although PUBG has nothing to do with why it shut down. End of Nations was an MMORTS and never saw the light of day and that one was a Trion game.

Also he knows full well that it's 17 million lifetime accounts. So if anything all he is doing there is presenting partial misinformation which isn't anything new. One part being that 17 million accounts is correct. However the wrong part is those being active accounts.

I mean if you can prove that there are precisely 16,995,500 ACTIVE accounts across the entire platform of PS4, XB1 and Non Steam I'd love to see it.

The only thing Trion could remotely do to bring their name back into the limelight is fad chase and make a BR game. I'm not even joking. Literally every dev is doing it these days. Even Hi-Rez have their own. But yeah Trion should not make their own Isometric game. Especially considering the one they published tanked.

The odds of them rebuilding Rift in Unity or Unreal 3 are slim. And to be honest I can't think of an MMORPG that uses the Unity engine. I know Tera uses Unreal.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-06-26 at 12:43 PM.

The odds of them rebuilding Rift in Unity or Unreal 3 are slim. And to be honest I can't think of an MMORPG that uses the Unity engine. I know Tera uses Unreal.
    I figured it out.

They will use the new tech to make Rift 4100 for PS4,XB1. I mite die a little if Rift comes to console before WoW does.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Slipmat is delusional, confirmed. His attitude about Rift has not changed from day 1, yet Rift is nowhere near where it once was. It's ridiculously silly to act like Trion is at all in a good place.

- - - Updated - - -

I figured it out.

They will use the new tech to make Rift 4100 for PS4,XB1. I mite die a little if Rift comes to console before WoW does.
    I honestly believe MMORPGs have no place on consoles. I know SE did a good job of it with FFXIV, but that game is a bit different, considering the whole history of FF games.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I honestly believe MMORPGs have no place on consoles. I know SE did a good job of it with FFXIV, but that game is a bit different, considering the whole history of FF games.
    I highly disagree and many MMO's have done well and play perfectly fine on Console. FFXIV is a HotKey MMO and any other HotKey MMO would work just fine on console.

DCUO/Tera also prove that action MMO's can work just fine on console as well.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    But but but...

Ya gotta admit, inventory management has to be a whole other monster. Then again Skyrim was a console game to start with.

Bah! It's hard to say. Maybe they can work... it just feels weird to me.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

...with what money?
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

But but but...

Ya gotta admit, inventory management has to be a whole other monster. Then again Skyrim was a console game to start with.

Bah! It's hard to say. Maybe they can work... it just feels weird to me.
    Not really no inventory management isn't a issue plus consoles can use KB&M so that's also a option.

Slipmat is delusional, confirmed. His attitude about Rift has not changed from day 1, yet Rift is nowhere near where it once was. It's ridiculously silly to act like Trion is at all in a good place.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair he is in the minority on this one. All I can really say is let him be.

10+ Year Old Account
    So according to all the armchair experts here, you all know better than Venturebeat? the figure 17 million is even in the actual article itself.

Trove, a voxel MMO game similar to Minecraft, has more than 17 million players worldwide
    For those with shares it seems in Steam, point out where you can play on the X-Box and PS 4 through Steam, oh right, you can't, you also conveniently forget that Trove also launched in China to huge numbers and just a few weeks ago also launched in Japan on PS 4 only, but of course if you actually read threads and posts on this sub Forum instead of blindly rushing in when triggered you'd know all this.

As i'm a nice guy, take a read again:

Prior to releasing in Japan, Trove launched in China in late 2017 to great success, with the expansion into the region pushing it past the 17 million player mark, with that number poised only to grow as the game releases to Japanese audiences
    The Publisher in Japan, DMM Games, has over 20 million users alone so that's a huge audience to tap into.

DMM Games is a one-stop entertainment website and has evolved to become one of Japan’s leading platforms with over 20 million registered users
    https://www.trionworlds.com/en/news/...-in-japan-now/