Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Dude most of those books are filled with a ton of filler bullshit, e.g:

"Lor'themar sat behind his desk in the light of a half moon, its beams gracing his elegant elven features with a hallowed glow of..." WHO GIVES A FUCK?

Facts dude, I just wants facts: who what when where why. That's what the lore manuals had in the game boxes as well as the in-game lore manuals in pre-BC.

I don't care about Tolkienesque descriptions about how the 50 shades of colors of the leaves of Silvermoon or how Jaina was being pleasured on a cold winter night by her water elemental's water jet as she was reminiscind about Arthas' long hard holy cock. It's all goddamn useless filler.

I just want the facts, presented in a an intriguing and inspiring way which makes me crave for more, as it used to.
    So you want a fantasy novel without the fantasy aspect of it.... got it

7+ Year Old Account
    Amg always a drama topic... its just dont play...

The comics and short stories are free.

yes I bought Before The Storm but generally they've done a better job as of late by having supplementary events explained in-game. Here's the basic rundown you can probably expect covered in-game when deemed necessary:

-Kezan was where the first Azerite was found back around Cataclysm.
    -Baine and Anduin's relationship was severed at Sylvanas's demand
    -the forsaken and humans agreed to meet at "The Gathering" to reunite families in Stromgarde. Calia Menethil attempted to convince some of the forsaken to leave for the alliance, Sylvanas killed all the forsaken on the field and Calia.
    -Calia was resurrected as forsaken (kind of), and still seems intent on helping the forsaken.

There you go, one "I just want enough context that I won't be confused, without the intricacies of the story" abridged version.

You should also consider lore videos like Nobbel87.

Last edited by Powerogue; 2018-06-26 at 12:54 AM.

The Chronicles books kind of take the place of lore manuals etc these days.

The Collector's Editions also have art books (and I think manuals, I'll be honest I hardly even look in the box anymore).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Ok, so now shall book readers start complaining about having to buy a game to see lore? This is the age of internet, can you use your whining time on youtube or just wowpedia? You could be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    Blizzard is a business.

Businesses like to make money.

Also the books wouldn't fit into the game neatly, sitting there staring at your monitor reading an ingame book sounds awful.

But this seems like such a non-issue. I love the books.

You can even get a free audible trial and just get it free, like why complain.
    "Try, like many from the nation have already, go to www.audible.com, and use coupon code PhillyD, to get your first audio book for free" -Phillip DeFranco.

or dont use the coupon code and still get your first audio book free.

Look at how they are handling COD: Black Ops 4, you buy the base game for $60 but to get all the actual content you pay over $100....

They have enough staff to be putting the lore into the game that the books give, some major moments of the lore are settled in the book, but blizzard is a business so they have to nickel and dime a tiny percentage of players who actually enjoy the lore apparently.

"Lor'themar sat behind his desk in the light of a half moon, its beams gracing his elegant elven features with a hallowed glow of..." WHO GIVES A FUCK?

Facts dude, I just wants facts: who what when where why. That's what the lore manuals had in the game boxes as well as the in-game lore manuals in pre-BC.

I don't care about Tolkienesque descriptions about how the 50 shades of colors of the leaves of Silvermoon or how Jaina was being pleasured on a cold winter night by her water elemental's water jet as she was reminiscind about Arthas' long hard holy cock. It's all goddamn useless filler.

I just want the facts, presented in a an intriguing and inspiring way which makes me crave for more, as it used to.
    Read the fucking wiki page.

Deleted
    Can't really compare old game manuals to books ...

I loved reading those too, but they were as "big" as the small descriptions you have on their official sites, about races, some major characters, etc. You also compare an MMO to a SP game, SP game needs to follow a story, unless you just want to grind random mobs? I don't know what pre-BC game you're talking about, but Classic WoW had so little lore compared to today's in-game lore it's laughable to even mention them in same sentence. Back then if you didn't play (mostly) WC3 you had no idea what the fuck was all about.

Also if you want free lore go check Nobbel87, he explains stuff much better than the WC RTS games, manuals, cutscenes, books, etc. combined. If you want to read yourself, just get on wowpedia, great website.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xcitng View Post
    Look at how they are handling COD: Black Ops 4, you buy the base game for $60 but to get all the actual content you pay over $100....

They have enough staff to be putting the lore into the game that the books give, some major moments of the lore are settled in the book, but blizzard is a business so they have to nickel and dime a tiny percentage of players who actually enjoy the lore apparently.
    Can you please share your knowledge about their staff and what they should be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Thats a bad excuse, and that logic is why the industry has been trampling on player expectations for the last decade or so.

So long as you play devil's advocate for billion dollar corporations, we will continue to get inferior quality games.

Stop kissing their asses.
    For them to change dramatically, people would have to protest with their wallet

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    This.

OP you want a "manual" instead of a book, here ya go. The resources are out there if you look for them. I'd love to see all this lore in game, but it's not gonna happen. Supplemental sources aren't a bad thing when the mediums are vastly different. It gives people the option to go deeper than the gameplay, and for those like you who don't feel like committing to a novel, there are free breakdowns readily available.
    http://www.wowhead.com/before-the-storm
    This right here should be /thread.

Anyone complaining beyond that point is just a fucking whiner

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    youre aware that the synopsis of every wow book/comic/manga is right there on wowwiki and/or wowhead? you dont have to pay for anything
    Perhaps, but it should be in the game itself. That's kinda the point of a game world.

Deleted
    All the comics and books are "free" to read online, if you know what I mean. Good quality too and not hard to find either.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Perhaps, but it should be in the game itself. That's kinda the point of a game world.
    Do us all a favor and hold your breath while they put multiple hundreds of pages worth of books in the game for all 3 people to find and read.

Um...a lot of the extra artwork and stuff does make it into the game. Off the top of my head: http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=11240/harbinger

As for books. There are books published for movies all the time. Warhammer 40k has a ton of books going over stories and lore that you can't find in their various game/army books. Star Trek and Star Wars have entire libraries of extra material that you'd never know about if you never went into a Barnes and Noble. Not sure what kind of idiot you'd have to be to think this "problem" is somehow unique to the dreaded ACTIVISION, or games in general.

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    Do us all a favor and hold your breath while they put multiple hundreds of pages worth of books in the game for all 3 people to find and read.
    This answer is completely stupid. It's not like the events of these books are hard to sum up in a few pages so they can add a few books at some places, or have a few characters describe them, or get quests giving information.

Quote Originally Posted by xcitng View Post

Except Blizzard has nothing to do with COD4. Like Activision has nothing to do with WoW. ActivisionBlizzard is just a holding company for both Activision and Blizzard. Neither have say over the other.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoken like a man that doesn't read books. If books were written like hte way you want they would be boring as fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sithalos View Post
    I know the full lore of the game without buying any books.

Your argument is invalid, and stupid.
    Everything you need to know to understand what is going on is contained within the quest text and conversations, NPC dialogue, and the books and pages you can find easily within game. Everything else is just filler material that is not needed to understand the scope of the game. Even Chronicles. It's nice to know that information, but it is not necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    no time for proper story & lore in WoW anymore devs are busy stripping down your class for 12 months and rebuilding it all xpac because it's not as good as it was.

they're literally wasting 10k+ man hours every x-pac in pointless crap that could be used making another raid tier or putting good meaningful story and lore into the game.

when you think of all time wasted pissing about with class changes non-stop every x-pac to break specs then spend tons more hours fixing them. Then you get patches like twitter/selfie, and the class mounts questline (loot 10X, kill 50 X, kill 100 X, kill 3 X, kill 100 X, loot 10 X, kill 100 X.) literally the worst questline added into the game. Time management is not blizzards strong point not even close.
    You must be confused about game development, writers do not make raids or other content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I, too, miss the manuals that had tons of lore and cool art. It was so great reading through them while the game was installing, just absorbing all that information and being giddy the whole time.
    I remember this. What great memories