Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Woooo Hoooooo. 1 Down and only 3 more to go (Ginsberg, Breyer, Mayor). We are finally going to get the chance to Make America Great again and rid it of SJWs. Hopefully Trump nominates another good quality judge like Priscilla Owen
    Last edited by Orlong; 2018-06-27 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Obama got to appoint 2 justices in 2 years too, so stop whining.

At any rate the preferable option would be a centrist, but that was never going to happen with either Trump or Clinton. Thus as in many other things, Trump nominating a justice is a slightly less bad than Clinton doing so.
    What do you mean that was never going to happen with Clinton?

I'm so fucking tired of everyone make it sound like Hillary (or Obama or Bill or Gore etc.) are as left as Trump is right. These aren't issues between two sides of the same coin. Obama and Hillary are closer to the center right than Trump who is so far right he's one garish military outfit away from an African dictator.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    The problem with this is that Trump is unlikely to fill it with a moderate, and as such the court will become unbalanced. A court that swings more one way is generally bad, because it is not reflective of society as a whole and can ultimately harm the half of society that doesnt follow the political inclinations of thee SC majority.

A balanced court at least tends to minimize this and leads credibility to its rulings.
    There was a chance with a centrist. McConnell refused it claiming the American people needed to be more informed. This was the end-game from the very beginning and now we're going to see what happens when a large portion of our population suffers because some people just wanted to make liberals angry.

It's going to be a very rough foreseeable future.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope the regressive left is satisfied with the fruits of their Bernie or Bust labor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    That is true, but the court was going out of ballance regardless. And while Kennedy might have been balancing, his ruling have often been bordering on the absurd.
    Given Clinton was generally moderate herself (which is why a lot of Bernie people hate her, in addition to the primary catastrophe), it was going to be more likely under her. As opposed to Trump who had always appealed to populism on the hard right.

Now we just have to hope Ginsburg doesnt die.

but I do think previous controversial rulings will stand, because the SC generally does not like to reverse itself without a new constitutional amendment.

well there goes any semblance of the court being "balanced", not that it was ever the intention of the republicans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    There was a chance with a centrist. McConnell refused it claiming the American people needed to be more informed. This was the end-game from the very beginning and now we're going to see what happens when a large portion of our population suffers because some people just wanted to make liberals angry.

It's going to be a very rough foreseeable future.
    yeah, Im mad over that bullshit the Republicans pulled. You dont get to deny half a president's term because he's a lame duck. Ultimately, I hope the Dems pull the same. I once thought differently, but its clear to me that if Dems dont follow, Repubs will walk all over them.

Although Im still against shutting down the government. Thats mroe harmful than merely denying a SC pick.

Roe V Wade will never be overturned. It won't come up, and if it somehow did and then was struck down, it would be an utter disaster for Republicans at the voting booth in the next election cycle. Calm yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhard von Lohengramm View Post
    Keep telling yourself that. After all, anything else is a conspiracy theory!
    Ummm... he literally said it. He's not a difficult guy to figure out. If it pisses of liberals, he will cheer it on. This is coming from the type of people who cheered on a white nationalist hitting people with his car.

i really doubt most of you complaining that it's going to be stacked with right wing farts would be complaining if it was stacked with left wing farts.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Woooo Hoooooo. 1 Down and only 3 more to go (Ginsberg, Breyer, Mayor). We are finally going to get the chance to Make America Great again and rid it of SJWs. Hopefully Trump nominates another good quality judge like Priscilla Owen
    Ummm, look at your history of started threads... you are a SJW...

The irony is unreal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Given Clinton was generally moderate herself (which is why a lot of Bernie people hate her, in addition to the primary catastrophe), it was going to be more likely under her. As opposed to Trump who had always appealed to populism on the hard right.

Now we just have to hope Ginsburg doesnt die.

but I do think previous controversial rulings will stand, because the SC generally does not like to reverse itself without a new constitutional amendment.
    Yeah not being as far left as that nut Sanders does not mean you are centrist. Obama was touted as centrist and both his picks are solid liberals.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    i really doubt most of you complaining that it's going to be stacked with right wing farts would be complaining if it was stacked with left wing farts.
    And the same can be said for those cheering that it's going to be stacked with right-wing farts.

Once the democrats get back in power they'll need to look at balancing the SC by expanding the number of judges in it.

Granted that requires 60 votes in the Senate, so chances of that happening are slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    And the same can be said for those cheering that it's going to be stacked with right-wing farts.
    oh absolutely, the right minded folks will and ought to be excited for stacking the deck. Politics is not about fairness, it's about power. and holding the SC is pretty dam powerful.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    An utterly irrelevant statement since that hasn't happened and as long as I can remember it hasn't been the goal of the "left" to have screwing over the "right" as a policy decision.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Everyone wants a Supreme Court stacked in favour of their ideology. It's just that when the tides turn against them and it becomes stacked in favor of their opponents ideology they devolve into whining about "balance" in a virtue-signalling attempt to "be the better person" or something like that.

This isn't a left or right issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    An utterly irrelevant statement since that hasn't happened and as long as I can remember it hasn't been the goal of the "left" to have screwing over the "right" as a policy decision.
    then you are not paying attention to a fair amount of folks.

oh absolutely, the right minded folks will and ought to be excited for stacking the deck. Politics is not about fairness, it's about power. and holding the SC is pretty dam powerful.
    It's not about power it all if you make poor choose it we'll comeback and bite you in the ass. Incompetence leadership destroys countries.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

And lots of hypocrites cheering this decision on right now.

personally, I liked Kennedy, and I think he took his role seriously.