Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I think it is sad the Supreme Court "what people believe" matters. It should be letter of the law. Not "well I feel" that directs the courts action. Just one more thing in our country ruined by tribalism.
    The constitution is intentionally left very vague. The same document has been used to uphold and reject the same ideas. It's hard to discern exact what the letter of the law is saying. That's why we have a Supreme Court, why it's contentious, and why so many lower judges have differing opinions.

There's also the issue of intent vs. letter, and how language evolves. The constitution is written in a scholarly late 1700s manner (as you would expect) which was not easy to read for the layman back then, and certainly harder today.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You need to look carefully at your post. Anyone with a brain who watched the confirmation.....all the Senators who did the debate, have no brains or any who approved of what they did and watched it, has none?
    They have a brain they all made comments about how unprepared they were but they all fall in line and have no spine to stand up to Trump. This is not the usual environment, you should stick with their excuse that. Although these people are not ready they aren't going to be running things anyways which is a sad excuse but better than the senate is perfect.

This is typical of too many on here. Which is why in some cases, I just put them on ignore and move on. They can not disagree without resorting to childish insults.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand people have disagreements on some things.
    So...that would be a no?

noun
    a handheld device for inking and imprinting a message or design on a surface.
    a person or organization that gives automatic approval or authorization to the decisions of others, without proper consideration.
    "I hope we never get to the day judges dictate to juries so they become rubber stamps"

verb
    approve automatically without proper consideration.
    "the college would not rubber-stamp its athletes for graduation"

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Then I struggle to understand what you quoted me for, and what you want to discuss? You clearly have no interest in discussing the merits of various appointees. Please tell me what you wish to discuss, so we can. Or move on, if you have no interest.
    You said that Trump had appointed candidate for his cabinet where were not qualified for the post. I asked, which of those you think did not have the qualifications which were not confirmed by the Senate. Namely wanting to see if you actually had a point outside of a personal opinion, which when the Senate were the ones doing that, not you.

Now I know it is just your opinion. So no need to discuss it anymore, unless you wish.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Agreed. I would have thought they would go for a mid-40's at least, even early 40's, to give them a solid 30 years. Young for a Circuit Court Judge, but still possible (I think).
    The front runner is older than Gorsuch, which just bewilders me. Not that I have an issue with age, or anything. But they have the power, why are they holding it in reserve? It seems contrary to all their other actions.
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    So...that would be a no?
    Nope......
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Nope......
    Then your argument "people disagree" is a (typical) logical fallacy to the subject of Trump's nominations getting rubber stamped

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Then your argument "people disagree" is a (typical) logical fallacy to the subject of Trump's nominations getting rubber stamped
    In your opinion. Which you are entitled to.

You said that Trump had appointed candidate for his cabinet where were not qualified for the post. I asked, which of those you think did not have the qualifications which were not confirmed by the Senate. Namely wanting to see if you actually had a point outside of a personal opinion, which when the Senate were the ones doing that, not you.

Now I know it is just your opinion. So no need to discuss it anymore, unless you wish.
    Oh, easy answer. Pudzer for Labor. He was so full of scandal and issue, that Trump had to withdraw his appointment because of how grossly unpopular he was with top Republicans. There. I met your criteria " think did not have the qualifications which were not confirmed by the Senate".

He neither had the qualifications, nor was he confirmed by the Senate. Check and Check.
    – C.S. Lewis

The front runner is older than Gorsuch, which just bewilders me. Not that I have an issue with age, or anything. But they have the power, why are they holding it in reserve? It seems contrary to all their other actions.
    He is the same exact age as the average age of appointees to the SC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, easy answer. Pudzer for Labor. He was so full of scandal and issue, that Trump had to withdraw his appointment because of how grossly unpopular he was with top Republicans. There. I met your criteria " think did not have the qualifications which were not confirmed by the Senate".

He neither had the qualifications, nor was he confirmed by the Senate. Check and Check.
    That is a good example then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    He is the same exact age as the average age of appointees to the SC.
    Yes, you've quoted me several times saying that. I am well aware of that fact. There is no need to constantly requote me saying it again.
    – C.S. Lewis

In your opinion. Which you are entitled to.
    such deflection, much deflection.

Yes, you've quoted me several times saying that. I am well aware of that fact. There is no need to constantly requote me saying it again.
    Then why have you constantly brought up age? A 54 year old appointee should serve at least 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    On the train this morn, I seen there was a trending vid on Youtube about Ben Shapiro asking for the job. I didn't watch it, so I cant say if hes serious or not.
    I believe it was in jest. He was making the point that Trump should nominate someone young to assure a long stay in the court. He said something like "I'd be in the court for 50-60 years!".

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Then why have you constantly brought up age? A 54 year old appointee should serve at least 20 years.
    I've stated my reason for mentioning the age several times, in several posts, two of which you directly quoted.
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    A racist homophobe with suspicious ties to white nationalist groups.

The sad part is that while that is a joke, I can see it happening.
    oblubber appointed two literally unfit retards and you're crying about trump's potential appointees? Wonder why everyone thinks you're a fucking loon around here.
    Working on my next ban.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kathleen kennedy.

I've stated my reason for mentioning the age several times, in several posts, two of which you directly quoted.
    Your reason is not relevant, when they serve an average of 24 years. An extra 3-4 years means little.

But those who started between 1966 and the present (not counting current justices) were on the court for an average of 24 years.
    https://www.vox.com/2016/2/17/110321...d-justice-ages

Jeanine Pirro, and I'm not being sarcastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.