Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    0% chance PR becomes a state, for the exact same reason there will never be a unified Korea: $$$$$$$$$$$$

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reliquit-salis View Post
    answering a question with a question. ill be back on tomorrow. maybe by then somebody will have given me a pro for admitting pr. oh and btw if we did take pr in it would be the poorest in the nation and would be blue if you accept the assessment of a few posters. so i dont know what you are getting at.
    Because they are US citizens with no representation. I guess that doesn't compute with the conservative braintrust.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

7+ Year Old Account
    the obvious con is the dramatic economic drag pr would be if admitted. somebody give me a pro (that isnt something something more dem votes)
    Having a territory where the population doesn’t have a say is antithetical to American values (no taxation without representation, right?)

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no way in hell it even makes it to the floor with the GOP in power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    After what happened with Trump I'm surprised they even want to be part of the U.S. He basically said "fuck you" to all of them and many here that support Trump said the same things.

1. They don't pay taxes, why should we help them?
    2. It's their fault for getting into this mess.
    3. Big water.
    4. They don't deserve anything.
    5. I had no idea Puerto Rico was part of the U.S. (much like Trump)
    That's precisely why they should become a full fledged state, same with DC. So they actually have some political clout in the fight, instead of sitting back and taking it. It's also why this won't go anywhere so long as Republicans control majorities. Giving Congressional seats and God forbid Senate seats to a new state(s) with overwhelming non white populations? Yeah, right. Over their dead bodies.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

And they will sue the government because you dont respect their first amendment. They are not equals !

While I don't see this happening under republican control, with things looking as they are they should try it again in 2020 after the democrats are back in control.

Considering that both PR and DC back in 2016 passed in each of their territories a ratified state constitution all they have to do is keep trying till they're finally admitted in.
    Last edited by Hobb; 2018-06-28 at 02:36 PM.

So they are bigger than:

Iowa
    Utah
    Arkansas
    Nevada
    Mississippi
    Kansas
    New Mexico
    Nebraska
    West Virginia
    Idaho
    Hawaii
    New Hampshire
    Maine
    Rhode Island
    Montana
    Delaware
    South Dakota
    North Dakota
    Alaska
    Vermont
    Wyoming
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

And somehow don't deserve to be a state. Kek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    0% chance PR becomes a state, for the exact same reason there will never be a unified Korea: $$$$$$$$$$$$
    The cost of making new American flags is too much money. (I know you didn't say that, that's just my joke.)

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Going off of typical GOP, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if the stance they take up for not letting it go to vote is something along the lines of "BUT WHAT WOULD WE DO WITH HTE EXTRA STAR?!1".
    IMPOTUS Donald Trump's presidency summarized:
    -- as he blamed others for the crisis, basked in self-congratulation and xenophobia, and misled the country about his actions so far.

thats more of an ideological statement.
    I mean sure, in the same way that the Declaration of Independence was kek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cost of making new American flags is too much money. (I know you didn't say that, that's just my joke.)
    Dont forget about the crazy cost of opening 500 new McDonalds would have on the economy. =o]

the obvious con is the dramatic economic drag pr would be if admitted. somebody give me a pro (that isnt something something more dem votes)
    Drop Mississippi then? And all other poor red states

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Drop Mississippi then? And all other poor red states
    We need that river though. Its important. Why not Alabama? The only thing I can think of when I hear "Alabama" is the old music group. . . Alabama.

Well besides allowing access to all the rights and privileges given to other US citizens.... In case you're unaware, there are two places in our entire universe where our citizens cannot vote. Prison, and U.S. Territories. You can vote abroad and astronauts have voted from space. One of our founding principles were the idea that all people are created equal, and people should not have taxation without representation. Withholding rights and privileges from our citizens are contrary to those ideals.

If you want hard benefits to you as an individual, Puerto Rico is excluded from the federal income tax. They still pay social security, medicare, and so on (so they're still taxed, just not the baseline income tax). Furthermore, businesses can relocate to Puerto Rico to evade taxes, since there is also no federal corporation tax there. Granting PR statehood would give us billions in income tax revenue, along with even more billions in corporate tax revenue.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    If you want hard benefits to you as an individual, Puerto Rico is excluded from the federal income tax. They still pay social security, medicare, and so on (so they're still taxed, just not the baseline income tax). Furthermore, businesses can relocate to Puerto Rico to evade taxes, since there is also no federal corporation tax there. Granting PR statehood would give us billions in income tax revenue, along with even more billions in corporate tax revenue.
    check up on that part in bold. youre on to something. when the cbo last estimated the financials of pr statehood and tax changes and business taxes they found it the result would be negative. as in less tax revenue for us and for pr.

- - - Updated - - -

As for "getting out of it" what exactly are you looking for, because I'm sure I could list some, but you'd hand wave it away because it's not the one specific thing you are looking for.
    what im looking for is a pro to match the con i mentioned on page 1. admitting pr comes at a serious economic consequence. what pro makes up for that.

check up on that part in bold. youre on to something. when the cbo last estimated the financials of pr statehood and tax changes and business taxes they found it the result would be negative. as in less tax revenue for us and for pr.
    I fail to see how being able to tax new income and corporate profits lower our tax revenue. That literally makes no sense. How could have more money to tax, result in less tax money?
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Making it a proper state would go a great length in stopping the mismanagement there, which is furthered by laws that adversely affect PR and contributed to its poor pre-disaster state. It would also allow for aid to come in properly, furthering rebuilding, which in turn can lead to economic growth. Economically, this can be seen as a relatively cost-free investment into the future. Heck, if it wasn't for its weird status, PR could become a pretty useful trading hub for the US.
    congrats. in 20 something replies this is the first actual pro ive seen. as a state they could possibly have a real chance at having the corrupt elements of their government tossed out. who knows where that might take them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I fail to see how being able to tax new income and corporate profits lower our tax revenue. That literally makes no sense. How could have more money to tax, result in less tax money?
    here check this out. http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...ican-statehood. new federal programs come into play. new tax codes come into play. and theyre saying it doesnt balance out and that it actually tips negative for us and them. and this wasnt factoring in the bankruptcy either which undoubtedly makes it all so much worse.

here check this out. http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...ican-statehood. new federal programs come into play. new tax codes come into play. and theyre saying it doesnt balance out and that it actually tips negative for us and them. and this wasnt factoring in the bankruptcy either which undoubtedly makes it all so much worse.
    A four year old opinion piece with no citations. Awesome. Assuming it is true, that's still a smaller drain than many of the current poor red states.
    – C.S. Lewis

I would welcome my fellow American citizens in Puerto Rico to our union. Republicowards fear it because they know how the Puerto Rican people would vote.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson