Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I was on the fence for awhile but I basically had the same experience. It's interesting how most parents love their kids and think they're decision to have one was a great idea, despite the cost and the stress levels and 24/7 tantrums/screaming.

I'm not judging parents, I just think that's interesting. I assume a lot of it is related to biological drive.
    Have a newborn too, does the usual baby stuff you'd imagine. The one thing I can tell you is that you feel entirely different to your own child. I find other people's children annoying and less cute and so on, but your own child, blood, is entirely different.

It's very hard to tell really, unless you're a parent you probably wouldn't understand
    Retired in WoD

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You can tolerate your kids more than other people kids.
    Yeah this is what makes me think that hormones/biology is the main factor in people being able to tolerate kids (specifically, young kids). I like kids, but mostly once they learn to talk/move around on their own and they're potty trained.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by suprep View Post
    Have a newborn too, does the usual baby stuff you'd imagine. The one thing I can tell you is that you feel entirely different to your own child. I find other people's children annoying and less cute and so on, but your own child, blood, is entirely different.

It's very hard to tell really, unless you're a parent you probably wouldn't understand
    My upstairs neighbors have a baby, he's super cute and I don't hear him often but when I go outside you can tell his lungs and tantrum-throwing abilities have improved. Basically 24/7 crying when not sleeping. He's two months old.

Yeah I'm thinking a lot of it is due to our bodies producing hormones that make us like our kids, makes sense really if you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Not all kids are like that and contrary to what you might think, unruly kids at home are mostly the blame of the parents. If you have your kids in check, they tend to not do that kind of crap. Discipline works wonders towards not having kids do that sort of thing.
    Eh it's 50/50 child rearing and temperament. Kids have their own personalities from birth, but parenting skills also make a difference. I think most kids engage in the same behavior types that are appropriate for their age, despite differences in parenting.

people keep telling me i will want to have little monsters as i get older, still hasn't happened yet. in fact, its one of the few things that i feel could realistically currently ruin my life. LOL

The sales pitch:
    Having children is the most wonderful and rewarding experience. It enriches your life and you are not complete until you have children.

The reality, courtesy of my 3-year-old:
    "Yeah, I love my toothbrush. I don't want to brush my teeth. I don't LIKE this one!" *cries for 5 minutes*

My sister has 5 kids, 4 boys, 1 girl. I don't need to have kids at that rate, but I don't really care for kids in general, family or not. Too much noise as kids, as teens it's nothing but constant drama bickering while they sit on their phones/computers at family functions.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    The sales pitch:
    Having children is the most wonderful and rewarding experience. It enriches your life and you are not complete until you have children.

The reality, courtesy of my 3-year-old:
    "Yeah, I love my toothbrush. I don't want to brush my teeth. I don't LIKE this one!" *cries for 5 minutes*
    Yeah that sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    My sister has 5 kids
    On purpose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    And then reality hits you and you find out you can't really reason with them that much during first five years or so
    You can it just takes time, just don't talk like an idiot in baby talk, listen as much as you talk, get on their level, help them out, it works.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yeah this is what makes me think that hormones/biology is the main factor in people being able to tolerate kids (specifically, young kids). I like kids, but mostly once they learn to talk/move around on their own and they're potty trained.

- - - Updated - - -

My upstairs neighbors have a baby, he's super cute and I don't hear him often but when I go outside you can tell his lungs and tantrum-throwing abilities have improved. Basically 24/7 crying when not sleeping. He's two months old.

Yeah I'm thinking a lot of it is due to our bodies producing hormones that make us like our kids, makes sense really if you think about it.
    i can confirm this as fact, i hate children, everyone knows i do, don't really like talking to them or acknowledging them hate going anywhere that there is children around.

that said i have 2 children 4 and 9 and i love them more than anything i let my 4 year old daughter walk all over me, i do a lot of gaming with my son and he's always interested in anything im doing.

i would basically say trying to base how you would be with your own children by looking at others would be asking for sex tips from a virgin who's never seen genitals in their life, or ask a brick wall, seriously it's 100% pointless i cannot compare the two if i can take ANYTHING and it's really scraping the bottom of the barrel because you can't take anything from looking at other parents & children, i would say you can learn from their mistakes and see the dumb things they do that don't work, and don't do them.

I have 2. I found they got more interesting and less annoying after about 10. Before that.. mostly just crying and whining machines. I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    And then reality hits you and you find out you can't really reason with them that much during first five years or so
    Yeah it's pretty easy to say what will happen until you have them

10+ Year Old Account
    Any of you saying kids aren't worth having...why do people do it....I would never put up with a kid...ect. ect.....stop and think for a minute. YOU were once a kid. Wonder how many older people thought the same thing when they saw you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    The best part of children is when you are grandparent.

Cheers
    Well, first the kids need to end up okey when they are older. There is a chance they become alcoholics or what ever. Secondly, there is nowdays a huge chance they move after school to a lager city or even abroad and start a family. And then you can count on seeing them about every third year or so.

The only reason I would invest time in a kid if i knew i would get visited when im 80 years old. But how many even visit their olds nowdays?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I decided I never want to have kids. I was being a kind friend but that backfired on me. They have 3 kids: 1 year, 2 and a 5-year-old. The kids screamed literally 24/7 and they never listen to their parents. My friends are good parents but damn their kids are annoying. I did get compensation but the amount of loss sleep can't be repayed. I know why parents need breaks. I commend all parents of small humans.
    One thing i know for sure is that's the only case when its someone elses' kids. Literally everyone who had same attitude before having their own kids kinda changed their opinion. Brains are just weird like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    On purpose?
    Fucking lootboxes, probably wanted a girl and got 4 boys in a row. Fix plz
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    I understand the decision to not wanting kids.
    but basing it on such a thin experience is pretty stupid.

under normal circumstances some of my siblings (got 5) are ppl, and personalities i'd never associate with, hell i might even dislike them. But i love them to death, and that changes everything. Same goes for my parents (got 4 cuz divorce).
    Its not very hard to understand, that there might be different circumstances when they're related to u, rather than someone elses.

I mean try and replace kids with girlfriend. Basically u'd be saying that because u didnt like ur friends girlfriend, u wouldnt want one yourself.
    or a sister, u dont like ur friends sister, therefore if it was up to u, u wouldnt want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekeb View Post
    Well, first the kids need to end up okey when they are older. There is a chance they become alcoholics or what ever. Secondly, there is nowdays a huge chance they move after school to a lager city or even abroad and start a family. And then you can count on seeing them about every third year or so.

The only reason I would invest time in a kid if i knew i would get visited when im 80 years old. But how many even visit their olds nowdays?
    I visit my parents every 2 weeks or so. They will be 80 next month. My older sister visits them practically every day I would imagine as she lives in the same town. I live about 1hour 20 minutes away.

Cheers

10+ Year Old Account
    Um if they screamed the whole time and didn't listen to their parents than your friends are not good parents.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    They have 3 kids: 1 year, 2 and a 5-year-old.
    Those are the ages of my three little girls and all of them are redheads, they are the spawns of Satan I tell ya. Since they are all 1/4 Korean, they got the temper to go with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    people keep telling me i will want to have little monsters as i get older, still hasn't happened yet. in fact, its one of the few things that i feel could realistically currently ruin my life. LOL
    My fiance felt the same way but this year he changed his mind (after us being together for 4 1/2 years). We're going to adopt when I get done with nursing school and we can afford to go through the adoption process.