Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Obama's take on healthcare

“I am not surprised that instead of replacing what we had done with something better, they just have done their best to undermine and erode what’s already in place,” he said. “Of course people are going to be angry about that, because if you had health care and suddenly somebody who says they’re going to make it better comes in and makes it worse, you’ll be pissed. You should go out and vote.”

The irony is the best part and was of course, lost on the Politico interviewer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    “I am not surprised that instead of replacing what we had done with something better, they just have done their best to undermine and erode what’s already in place,” he said. “Of course people are going to be angry about that, because if you had health care and suddenly somebody who says they’re going to make it better comes in and makes it worse, you’ll be pissed. You should go out and vote.”

The irony is the best part and was of course, lost on the Politico interviewer.
    The fact that you think healthcare was better, does not make this ironic. You simply disagree...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    The fact that you think healthcare was better, does not make this ironic. You simply disagree...
    The fact that the man said you can keep your plan and doctor and then priced people out of keeping them is irony. Thousands lost their plans because of the ACA and they were pissed and voted Trump. I am sorry that you can't see irony, well, won't see irony.

The fact that the man said you can keep your plan and doctor and then priced people out of keeping them is irony. Thousands lost their plans because of the ACA and they were pissed and voted Trump. I am sorry that you can't see irony, well, won't see irony.
    And millions got healthcare. Irony right!? Am I doing it right!?

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    How many of those were in states that did not opt in (red states)? How do you think the ACA would have worked if one party was not actively trying to sabotage it the entire time?
    How is that related to the irony of his statement?

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that the man said you can keep your plan and doctor and then priced people out of keeping them is irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    How many of those were in states that did not opt in (red states)?
    I see the irony now........
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

To quote one of the great philosophers of our time:

"You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means."
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's not an ironic statement if people were actively shooting themselves in the foot out of spite, rather than being actively screwed over by other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    To quote one of the great philosophers of our time:

"You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means."
    What’s so ironic about Obama pricing these people out, when their states blocked his funding? Other than him complaining about Obama... lol

Saying that everyone could keep their plan and doctor was a mistake on his part. Plans and doctors change all the time and is something he has no control over. The intent was fine (you can keep your plan as long as the exchange keeps offering it, doesn't change it etc) but people took him too literally, which is ironic considering the levels of "what he meant was..." when it comes to Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    Because it's not an ironic statement if people were actively shooting themselves in the foot out of spite, rather than being actively screwed over by other people.
    I liked this:
    Obama: I told Trump to just rename Obamacare and take credit for it
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/29/polit...ump/index.html

"I said to the incoming president, 'Just change the name and claim that you made these wonderful changes and I would be like, "You go,"'" he said to laughs. "Because I didn't have pride of authorship, I just wanted people to have health care."

Obama then said that Trump "couldn't do it despite controlling all branches of government in Washington. They couldn't do it because we had actually thought it through and it's a hard thing to do."

So, it's ironic because red states decided to fuck their own citizens by opting out of Obamacare federal funding? What am I missing? That doesn't seem ironic, just moronic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    So, it's ironic because red states decided to fuck their own citizens with Obamacare? What am I missing? That doesn't seem ironic.
    He is complaining that Obama’s hand outs, were too expensive to afford for those receiving them..

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    Saying that everyone could keep their plan and doctor was a mistake on his part. Plans and doctors change all the time and is something he has no control over. The intent was fine (you can keep your plan as long as the exchange keeps offering it, doesn't change it etc) but people took him too literally, which is ironic considering the levels of "what he meant was..." when it comes to Trump.
    Really, he gave people too much credit. He didn't think people wanted to keep plans that mostly just took their money without giving them much healthcare, but joke's on him!

I agree that the ACA is a very poor solution but it's amazing that the plans put together by Republicans somehow make it worse with zero upsides. It's honestly amazing, like seeing some high school student wing a project via procrastination and shitty material.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

7+ Year Old Account
    When being disingenuous can you actually claim irony?

I remember that time a Canadian woman wrote a song about irony, ironically it wasn't actually the correct usage of that word:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alanis_Morissette
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironic_(song)

...or was it?

So, people who were irked about someone saying they could keep their doctor and not delivering got mad about that and went on to vote for someone who promised that they could keep their doctor - who then did not deliver.
    Now I do see the irony!

The fact that the man said you can keep your plan and doctor......
    The fact that Trump said that very same thing, while adding in that it would be cheaper and cover more people, while being unable to make anything better, shows that ACA wasn't as bad as you thought, and that fucking it over while replacing it with nothing is actually worse than ACA by a long run.

The ACA wasn't perfect, but instead of making it better Trump decided to gut it like a fish and increasing premiums because of it.

But sure, it's Obama's fault for the GOP messing with the ACA and making it worse.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Really, he gave people too much credit. He didn't think people wanted to keep plans that mostly just took their money without giving them much healthcare, but joke's on him!
    Are you stupid? He had nothing to do with creating the plans, that's the point. The insurance companies did all that so I don't know why you're blaming him.