Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Prot pally mage tower

Hey guys, so like everyone else I'm scurrying to get as many towers done as I can! PROTECTION!!! how hard is it? I dont really play prot I got ret at ilvl 933 with a couple decent dps leggos. I dont hear too much about prot pally. Not sure if that means it's kind of easy or incredibly hard. Is this one I should spend my time punching my keyboard or move along and work on others? All tips welcome!!!

I've been trying on my 932 Pally and I'm having some difficulty, even with the artifact power boost. I can get to phase two fairly regularly without using drums but I'm dying pretty quick once there. I haven't had a whole lot of luck with legendaries so I'm using the ring from Antorus and the shoulders with 300% truthguard ability damage to help me kill the adds. (Legs for the extra Avenger's Shield hits haven't dropped).

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong based on the Wowhead guide but I'm clearly missing something. One of the dev blogs said the other day that the challenges are tuned around 905 iLv but that definitely doesn't seem to be the case for me.

Deleted
    I done prot at about 925 with only the chest leggo and I have to say I felt it was probably the easiest of all tank challenges to me just based on self healing and CDs. Avengers shield interrupt was a god send too. I ran it with bear tartare which helps immensely with the speed boost from killing adds. Best advice I can give is to always keep moving, especially on Kruul and try not to needlessly waste the healing orbs unless you really need to. I managed to enter phase 2 with 2-3 orbs up each time when pulling.

Prot is easy

You can interupt like 90% casts with some luck so it let you stand in debuff zone for so long. If you have too many stacks - like 9/10 just leave it and stun boss to easy survive.

But infernals... Rng is sometimes insane bad

10+ Year Old Account
    If I remember right the prot pally challenge was damn near impossible at the start because we were given a boss with double the hp pool compared to other tanks. The dps requirement was unreal and unrealistic. That remains close to the same now with very slight nerfs. The ilvl you are at now is not far off from when people started to being able to actually do it. You can bide your time a little bit in the first phase and hope to have 2-3 infernals up by the time you get to kruul, but just treat all infernals as if they can stun and dance around. If you don't you will forget and fail to see a tiny infernal about to punt you into the nether.

get drums and potions and beat his ass in for till the adds come. i got him around 50-60% before much trouble. just watch your stack. the last part is just nuts, just keep moving. bring the goblin glider to save your ass

Kite often, I died when the boss was at 0.8% hp. NPCs finished him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Druitz View Post
    Prot is easy

You can interupt like 90% casts with some luck so it let you stand in debuff zone for so long. If you have too many stacks - like 9/10 just leave it and stun boss to easy survive.

But infernals... Rng is sometimes insane bad

BL + pot of old war p1 gg

did it on my account with no tank leggy it worked , did it for my gf's palading who had shitty stats it worked... imo if you have gear you can zerg it almost befor getting 1 infernal ^^

took me like 1.30 for p1 with no tank leggy

i did the tank challenge on evry tank + 4 tanks on friends accounts with 920 + gear no mather the class you can zerg it to dead and that was befor the weapon was 126 .

If you dont have tank leggys or wanna waste time just zerg p1 with bl + pots , p2 is a joke now with the dmg and hp pool

prot pala was by far the easiest tank challenge.

keep using your shield on the caster, run around kill eyes, kite the mobs use every shield proc on the boss. watch out for infernal strikes(but you have to do that on every tank challenge so not that difficult). and p2 interrupt his cast. pretty much all there is to this fight.

did it with 910 ilvl 2 weeks ago first try.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post

keep using your shield on the caster, run around kill eyes, kite the mobs use every shield proc on the boss. watch out for infernal strikes(but you have to do that on every tank challenge so not that difficult). and p2 interrupt his cast. pretty much all there is to this fight.

It's one of the easiest ones for tanks NOW because dps is a non-issue(with a half decent ilvl) and you can almost spam interupts with decent rng but, it was pure cancer when the mage tower popped up originally.

Some helpful tips from someone who got it in the early months of the mage tower:
    -Potions/drums/food/flasks are all helpful for P3 push. Goblin Glider can save your life!
    -Do not stop moving when the infernals start spawning, either run in circles or side to side, giving you enough room to avoid their targeting cones(Oh and the size is misleading on the spell affect, be sure to move further away than it appears).
    -be sure to drop your stacks from the pool on the inquisitor.
    -Velen can be a total idiot so make sure you're picking up the mobs from around him
    -Just be sure to have a defensive up when Kruul does his big smash hit or there's a good chance you may die at below 10% and just rage
    -Pray to RNGesus for good rng on your end; for procs, eye locations, infernal spawns not overlapping with other timers, etc.

Good luck!

Don't stop moving and interrupt.

That is literally it.

Once Kruul drops though - depending on your dps - you WILL need to cycle defensives.

First annihilation you'll want to make sure you have SotR up.

Second you'll need to have AD up.

Third you'll want defender of kings.

If he's still alive after that you need to do more damage.

Oh and if you aren't familiar or comfortable with using Seraphim, don't use it.

It's actually not that great a talent since it pigeonholes all your damage gains into that seraphim window and it's just easier to use Righteous Protector so you'll have wings on the inquisitor and then wings again for Kruul, possibly three wing phases.

Velen's Healing Circle removes the Twisted Reflection debuff from you, if you missed the interrupt.

I have no idea what half of these posts are talking about. I just did this a couple of days ago at ilvl 905 and an 899 artifact (~860 relics) without flasks/pots.
    Make sure you kill eyes when you step out of the pool at ~6 stacks, pick up adds and burn them fast, take fist of justice and NOT blinding light as some people suggest. The stun is invaluable in phase 1. Just keep up lateral movement around the platform to avoid getting punted in the second phase and use your cooldowns wisely. Seraphim/wings/drums when Kruul drops and burn hard. SotR on first annihilate, Sotr + eye of tyr on second (be full hp), AD 3rd, guardian + SotR 4th, bubble 5th if you get that far. I finished on 890k overall DPS so it's not an insane requirement. Ignore anyone saying it is hard even at 925+ ilvl - it's clearly a skill issue.

Good luck man.

Edit: Bear Tartare makes it much easier as you get the speed boost off every eye kill, allowing you to clear out 3 eyes in a single step out phase.

This sounds totally believable.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    I recently finished my Prot Challenge as well. Didnt play Prot or Pala all of Legion but was a Warlock main.
    You really have to learn the encounter. What really helped me was a weakaura for the debuff von Variss(P1).
    This isnt much of a Tank challenge, but a Running and DPS challenge. KEEP ON RUNNING. Like always. Try to avoid running in little circles, as you might have bad luck and still get hit by an infernals smash.
    Kill adds with judgement, interrupt with Rebuke, Avengers Shield, Hammer, Blinding Light. Interrupt Drain life with an Orb if need be.
    You just have to get the hang of it. You cant completely outgear this.
    When P2 starts continue running, avoid the pushing purple lines, dont stand in shit. Interrupt his Twisted Reflection, if you fail immediately use one of Velens Orbs.
    If you can prolong his Annihilation with stuns/Orbs(when youre close to the kill). Use Shield of the Righteous before annihilation.

Thats the way i did it with about 40+ tries. I only did about 10 tries with Drums and pots and it REALLY shortened P1.
    My leggos were the healing trinket (because i dont own any other) + the netherlight Ring from the Antorus-Quest.

Just rinse and repeat. Sometimes youre just unlucky and dont get any procs, Variss drains life when youre out of interrupts or Kruul just stuns you in the green piles, or u miss an annihilation and get obliterated. Once you get a hang of the infernals and that you just KEEP ON RUNNING it gets easier(Took me like 20 tries to continue Running all the time )

Best of Luck.

Deleted

Mhh weird, when the challenge was new(ish), everyone was basically saying the exact opposite, lol.
    When I did it with my tank paladin it was way harder and more tedious than for example with my tank druid.

And I also strongly call BS on your first try with 910.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormstrîke View Post
    Mhh weird, when the challenge was new(ish), everyone was basically saying the exact opposite, lol.
    When I did it with my tank paladin it was way harder and more tedious than for example with my tank druid.

there were guys doing this with 880 gear back in june 2017... it's not that difficult. Prot warrior>brewmaster>vengeance>druid>dk>pala is my rating for the tank challenge.
    Last edited by Clozer; 2018-07-04 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormstrîke View Post

Well the difficulty was having 4 or 5 infernals up, after the 20% nerf and concordance I can't see getting more than 2. I'd still think the others are easier, at least more forgiving.

Deleted
    Y all the prodigy players believing prot paly challenge been the easiest . Guess Method and Exorcus should recruit from that player base for their progress. Had to laugh my tits out for that.
    935 ilvl simplifies things although the challenge would beniefit from you having experience in it knowing the spells , what to interrupt, how to move around the platform etc.
    If i recall correctly i went with first avenger and seraphim and sephuz for the extra haste/speed (always something to interrupt/cc) and waist (for the extra dps during wings). Used a prepot and burned all my cds early on ph1 . Kept an eye on the casts with the help of dbm not allowing the caster mob to heal itself while running around doing the rest. Managed to phase with 2 adds (one of them waiting to recover ). When the final boss came down used again all the cds with drums and it went down fairly easy.
    Having experience in the challenge from alts helps greatly to understand when to hit buttons , push for dps and how to transition. Else give it a dozen tries, get some addon help (dbm etc) and hope for the rest. With the ilvl and artifact boost u should be able to burn through it.

I've only done it as a druid, but timing the phase transition well makes a big difference. Try and kill a wave of adds and get the infernals down just before you finish off the first guy. That will give you a decent bit of time to focus the boss uninterrupted when he drops down, allowing you to pop everything and burst him down before it gets too messy.