Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    They have all that money surplus and none of it goes to housing. Instead the homeless just claim swathes of land and desecrate it with trash, urine and feces. Not to mention rabid drug sales and use.
    except it is going to just that, stop lying, or don't. doesn't really matter to me what your reputation on here is.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    I know I've given up on them. I've met like one that wasn't a horrible, useless human.
    They've given up on themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
    Jesus preached about you should help the poor, not raise awareness about the poor or protest to change govt policy towards the poor. Maybe I'll see you at the next Habitat for Humanity house raising or at the local soup kitchen peeling potatoes, no you will be on here pounding out your post count...
    Oooh you should DEFINITELY be careful who you say this to. For one, I work for nonprofits and have dedicated my career to helping people in need. Two, in my spare time I work with the local community of homeless in SE Portland and did a YouCaring campaign for two of them, raising $3700 for one for one campaign and a little over $5000 for another in conjunction with a local New Seasons. I'd give you receipts by linking to the fundraisers but my name is on them.

Watch before you post next time, you gave me a good laugh though.

I wonder how long those surplus is going to last once Jerry Brown left. You can say what you want about him, but he has always been a fiscal conservative. I am old enough to remember David Letterman cracking jokes about how cheap he was during his first two tenures as CA’s governor. He was so cheap back then, he refused to live at the Governor’s Mansion. Instead he was sharing a warehouse with two roommates.

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Not when compared to cost of living. Sure they have lower incomes but also lower cost of living.

http://time.com/money/5177566/averag...te-real-value/

Notice that about half of the the highest states are red. While there are few more lowest states that are red, there are also more red states than there are blue (30 vs 21 including DC)
    Cost of living is irrelevant if people are so poor if they are on food stamps. At that point they are at true poverty, unable to meet their basic needs without government assistance.

Your post is hand-waving to fit your narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Don't call them homeless, call them next generation Democrat voters.
    I am sure someone has created an ultra PC name for them by now my friend, don’t despair.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I wonder how long those surplus is going to last once Jerry Brown left. You can say what you want about him, but he has always been a fiscal conservative. I am old enough to remember David Letterman cracking jokes about how cheap he was during his first two tenures as CA’s governor. He was so cheap back then, he refused to live at the Governor’s Mansion. Instead he was sharing a warehouse with two roommates.
    might not matter at this point with marijuana legalization finally kicking in, but considering how the last guy handled things it wouldn't be that surprising if it does evaporate.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Honestly, what can you even do anymore at this point?

If you have money, you can at least live in a gated community with guards. Everyone else will have to decide to stay or go I guess.
    I like my gated community. We have our own golf course(I never play), tennis courts( this I do play), easy access to the bay and jogging trails. I didn’t purchase because of the gates though.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    except it is going to just that, stop lying, or don't. doesn't really matter to me what your reputation on here is.
    So you made a statement care to link something for us?

So you made a statement care to link something for us?
    you quoted me where I made the link, start there why don't ya?

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Just to point out that homelessness and poverty isnt a california problem and in disguise a democratic party problem as i am sure you would gladly be fast as hell to run towards
    Funny how I never, not once, mentioned politics and also posted this in Gen OT not the political forum. What agenda are you trying to push though?

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyXIV View Post
    Interesting, seems Alaska is going much greater than most other states.
    It doesn't, I'm from there and was back just last year. They're in a recession due to oil/gas at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Let's look at other states then, Texas for example. Austin has a similar homeless community off Seventh Street. Houston has several small pockets of such communities in its downtown area, off San Jacinto street for example.
    I would imagine practically all large metropolitans have similar issues my friend. Some worse than others.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Oooh you should DEFINITELY be careful who you say this to. For one, I work for nonprofits and have dedicated my career to helping people in need. Two, in my spare time I work with the local community of homeless in SE Portland and did a YouCaring campaign for two of them, raising $3700 for one for one campaign and a little over $5000 for another in conjunction with a local New Seasons. I'd give you receipts by linking to the fundraisers but my name is on them.

Watch before you post next time, you gave me a good laugh though.
    Excellent work, you practice what you preach. I'm glad you laughed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd imagine they haven't "given up". They never really tried, as there is no money to be made solving such a problem.

If someone managed to exploit it for personal profit, the streets would empty pretty fucking quickly.
    Last edited by Santti; 2018-07-02 at 05:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

7+ Year Old Account
    As if the OP and their ilk gave 2 shits about anyone else the the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    you quoted me where I made the link, start there why don't ya?
    I didn't see the hyperlink my apologies, seems like a good start. It also just got passed this month.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    As if the OP and their ilk have 2 shits about anyone else the the country?
    I honestly don't care about anyone else but myself and my family. I still toss bums a dollar here and there though. Doesn't mean I can make a thread on something I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Funny how the religious states seem to ignore that part in the Bible about Jesus' commandments to help the poor.

It's a question of where you want your money to go, to a bunch of alcoholics and dope fiends who'll never reform or to poor working families who are struggling to get by.

The reason Russia has so many homeless is because of alcoholism, you can say that of all the Western nations, homelessness is more a measure of alcoholism and drug dependency than lack of jobs or anything else.

And who do you think are feeding these alcoholics and dope fiends? It's the church 80% of the time.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2018-07-02 at 05:43 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by thrill View Post
    People really underestimate the difference in living costs across the US. Renting a tiny apartment in a decent part of a coastal state city or neighboring suburb can cost you several times what an entire house would elsewhere.
    For instance, wasn’t there an article just last week if you weren’t making $117k you were considered poverty level in the Bay Area in California?

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Funny how I never, not once, mentioned politics and also posted this in Gen OT not the political forum. What agenda are you trying to push though?
    Scoring points for their tribe it seems to me my friend.

Cheers