Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Iam forgetful infact iam prolly the most forgetful person prolly on this planet but i would never NEVER EVER leave a child in a car Ever and i live in fucking Arizona!.

Its just common sense!

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    I'll take your straw manning as a concession that you have no argument but need to keep telling yourself it will never happen to you. By the way, there are devices on the market to prevent these tragedies, but only parents with the capacity to realize it could happen to them would take those kinds of steps.
    TBH I wasn't aware such devices existed, although I could think of a few ways that they could probably be implemented for a reasonable price. It's the sort of thing that should be part of a child car seat, and yeah, it's something I would have happily paid for when my kids were small enough for this to be a potential issue.

When my babies were small we got sensors that monitored their breathing while sleeping. It might sound paranoid, but SIDS is a real thing. Sadly, until it happens to you or someone you know, most people just assume it can never happen to them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orz View Post
    Iam forgetful infact iam prolly the most forgetful person prolly on this planet but i would never NEVER EVER leave a child in a car Ever and i live in fucking Arizona!.
    This is exactly what every person who this ever happened said. And then it happened to them. Sometimes our bodies or mind fail us.

Quote Originally Posted by Orz View Post
    Its just common sense!
    It has absolutely nothing to do with common sense. You have no more control over whether you remember that your child is in the backseat when you park your car, than you have over whether your heart is beating.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Sooooo, a babyseat just magically materialized in her car, and the baby just magically transported itself into said babyseat, and then it just magically died for absolutely no apparent reason?
    And this is why we don't take you seriously - making ridiculous statements like the above. I'll let you figure out the facts - or you could just read the article in the OP.

She was personally responsible for putting the child where it was, and was personally responsible for forgetting about said child which resulted in said child ending up dead. No matter what kind of pretzel you attempt to twist basic logic into, this directly results in her letting the child die. There is literally no way you can slice it where that is not the case.
    "Letting" the child die implies intent. I would argue that it was an accident, in that she thought she'd dropped the child off at daycare already, and therefore didn't know the child was still in the car seat. If you'd bothered to read any of this thread you'd realize that's how the facts seem to be playing out. She certainly holds responsibility for her actions, but you and others claimed she "let" her child die. Which is incorrect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I'm not going to justify what she did, nor am I going to say she doesn't deserve to be punished, but I am going to join the chorus of people who are lambasting the OP for calling this woman a "monster."

She made a horrible mistake, a tragic mistake. Now she's going to suffer from that the rest of her life, living with the guilt that her own negligence killed her daughter. I think there's room for a little empathy here.
    Sums it up perfectly. It's baffling to me that people immediately go for the pitchforks rather than take in the entire situation for what it appears to be. That woman will be in a living nightmare the rest of her life.

Don't you guys know? Women cannot be monsters, only men. We have to help this poor woman who was surely wrongly accused!

White knights to the rescue!

Besides, it was probably the patriarchy's fault, somehow.
    "That shit went down faster than a gold digger on a dying rich dude".

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was an accident and she already has a life sentence of knowing she killed her own kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Azmoden View Post
    Don't you guys know? Women cannot be monsters, only men. We have to help this poor woman who was surely wrongly accused!

There are cases of both men and women.... and both get bail because... it is usually something that isn't considered purposeful like an evil murder, stop trying to make this about gender.

At least her failed genes won't carry on this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Azmoden View Post

nothing to do with the topic just trying to spam some SJW bullshit in because it's cool to do so in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There are cases of both men and women.... and both get bail because... it is usually something that isn't considered purposeful like an evil murder, stop trying to make this about gender.
    But it totally is about gender...

You think a guy who would have done the same thing would have random people raise money to help him? Asking the question is answering it.

We, as a pussyfied society, tend to think women can do no wrong. Here, it's a bunch of people who are raising money for a woman that was such a bad mom that she "forgot" her kid, and it resulted in tragedy. Replace "mom" with "dad" in the last sentence, and no one would give a shit.
    "That shit went down faster than a gold digger on a dying rich dude".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    So you've never "forgotten" something in your life? (Not being reminded later but forgetting to the point that it seems the memory never existed)

This is the trouble with creating safety mechanisms to prevent these situations. They already exist but no one ever gets them because they're so fucking sure that "this will never happen to me, I'll never forget my child in the car, it's impossible!"
    Though this 'forgotten' killed someone. This is not 'I forgot to turn off the coffee machine' nor 'I forgot to turn of the water'.

This caused someones death, in this case her child.

If I have care of an elderly person, and forget them outside in the winter, shouldn't I be hold accountable for manslaughter then? Or is it okay cause I forgot?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    Nothing. Not a damn thing can be done to make that right.
    So then why should we show her one ounce of empathy?

When your mistakes end someone else's life, you should most definitely be in jail. Hope she rots with a conviction.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    But it is a momentary distraction, because she thought the child was at day care. She put the child in the car, a safe environment, just like a child in a yard. The "falling in the pool" was when she forgot she hadn't dropped the child off.

- - - Updated - - -

The going to get coffee and not seeing the child in the car is a little troublesome. With backwards facing seats nowadays it's very possible. Especially if she thought the child was already at day care. She wouldn't even be thinking about the kid at that point.
    Possibly, but we still can't know if the barista knew her or if she saw the child in the backseat. I'm lead to believe the barista saw the child and that is when they "discovered" she left the baby. I've had 2 kids, we had rear facing car seats, you can see their feet sticking out still.
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    When your mistakes end someone else's life, you should most definitely be in jail. Hope she rots with a conviction.
    why would you hope that?

Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    Possibly, but we still can't know if the barista knew her or if she saw the child in the backseat. I'm lead to believe the barista saw the child and that is when they "discovered" she left the baby. I've had 2 kids, we had rear facing car seats, you can see their feet sticking out still.
    The woman got coffee at noon; she didn't discover the baby until after 4 when she got out of work. The logical inference is that she gets coffee there often enough that the baristas know she has a daughter and asked about her. Otherwise it must have been incredibly confusing to the barista who "saw" the baby and asked about her to hear the woman say her daughter was having another happy day at daycare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    TBH I wasn't aware such devices existed, although I could think of a few ways that they could probably be implemented for a reasonable price. It's the sort of thing that should be part of a child car seat, and yeah, it's something I would have happily paid for when my kids were small enough for this to be a potential issue.

When my babies were small we got sensors that monitored their breathing while sleeping. It might sound paranoid, but SIDS is a real thing. Sadly, until it happens to you or someone you know, most people just assume it can never happen to them.

- - - Updated - - -

This is exactly what every person who this ever happened said. And then it happened to them. Sometimes our bodies or mind fail us.

It has absolutely nothing to do with common sense. You have no more control over whether you remember that your child is in the backseat when you park your car, than you have over whether your heart is beating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I'm astounded by how many people in this thread are completely unaware of how often this happens to everyone. The most common occurrence is when people are driving on a route they take almost daily. If they claim they have memories of every single second of every single trip (even right after they completed it) then they're a liar. Your brain just doesn't work that way. It sees you're doing the exact same thing you've done a thousand times and decides there's no reason to record memories of it. If something different happens during that process then usually it would record that memory but it's not uncommon that it doesn't. This is when things happen like someone misplacing their phone or keys or not remember if you locked the door on your way out.

It just usually doesn't have such severe consequences and most kids are going to be whining in the backseat so you'll probably notice them.

Which is the real problem with those devices being successful. Too many people are too arrogant to think they'll ever need one.
    Agreed on all counts. There have been enough times where I intended to go one place and found myself on my "regular" route instead that there's no way I'll fuck around with something like that.

I see why people are upset and how you would think this wouldn't happen, but it's very possible.

As people have mentioned when your following a routine sometimes you do perform without thinking and sometimes you think you did something when you didn't. She thought she dropped off her child at day care since that was part of her routine when she really didn't.

Haven't you ever left the house, and swore that you grabbed item X, Y or Z but when you check you realize that your mistaken?

My wife annoys me with this all the time: She swears up and down that she left something in the house, blames me for moving it and then I find it in her bag or drawer...
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2018-07-03 at 02:46 PM.

Deleted
    People can express whatever they want. The evidence points to the woman making a tragic mistake. Most people, as seen in this thread, don't realize that modern car seats for infants are backwards facing, making it difficult to casually see into the seat.
    In my country it would be illegal to have an infant car seat in the back of the car.
    It must be in the front. Would have made this case impossible. Perks of living in a civilized modern society I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    In my country it would be illegal to have an infant car seat in the back of the car.
    It must be in the front. Would have made this case impossible. Perks of living in a civilized modern society I guess.
    Car seats are safer in the back especially since you have the air bags in the front...

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    And that's exactly why we can't jump to judgement here, and assume innocence until demonstrated otherwise. I'm also mildly concerned that you didn't read the article - it clearly states when the child was found. Be that as it may . . . .

Another small item as well to consider - how long ago did you have kids in backwards facing seats?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Lol, I guess your cars don't have airbags then.

I love it when people just out and out lie for whatever reason - idiotic basement jockeys. Unless you think the United States requiring car seats in the back is just random?

Also, just to point out how stupid your lie is - do ALL of the car seats go in the front? What if there are more than one? Note: if you're going to lie, at least make it a believable one. But thanks for the lulz.
    Last edited by cubby; 2018-07-03 at 03:50 PM.

And that's exactly why we can't jump to judgement here, and assume innocence until demonstrated otherwise. I'm also mildly concerned that you didn't read the article - it clearly states when the child was found. Be that as it may . . . .

Another small item as well to consider - how long ago did you have kids in backwards facing seats?
    2 years ago.
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.