Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    But the core part of WC3 night elves is that they were the ancient guardians of Kalimdor. So no, you couldn't make them closer to their WC3 roots, you would just further alienate them from what they once were.

The Forsaken identity is also not rooted in Lordaeron, it's rooted in being in opposition to the Scourge. A chaotic neutral faction of undead versus a chaotic evil one. That theme wouldn't really change whether they were in Lordaeron or Northrend.
    Root was a bad word what I meant was portrayal. Which you absolutely can do, maybe not thier original purpose. But you can make them savage etc.

Yes the Forsaken are definitely partly routed in a Lorderon. The Deathguard use Lorderon equipment, they quite literally live in the ruins of their former lives and consider themselves Lorderonian. They are the true natives of Lorderon dead or not. It's an absolutely a flavour of their lore.

Both are races being nearly totally expelled from their homelands. (And I really don't mind ethier. Both races were stagnant in purpose ATM so maybe this will give them new opportunities to create new lore)
    Last edited by mmoc8d6f890807; 2018-07-05 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    Im thinking the near total loss of everything they've held for 10,000 years will probably be the catalyst. Let them become the Warcraft 3 night elves in exile.

Also the sheer blindness to faction balance in this thread is amazing. Horde are basically kicked off a continent as well!
    Why yes, yes they are.

But note that this is a thread about how to make something salvageable out of the Night elves, who have been watered down into weak, incompetent schmucks over the years, the Forsaken at least are true to their origins and far from as powerless as the Night elves have been made to look again and again...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Why yes, yes they are.

But note that this is a thread about how to make something salvageable out of the Night elves, who have been watered down into weak, incompetent schmucks over the years, the Forsaken at least are true to their origins and far from as powerless as the Night elves have been made to look again and again...
    My main point is some people seem to think that the loss of Kamildor is the final nail in the coffin for the 'weak' NE it's not, it's the exact opposite. It's the time for the NE to go home and rethink their entire life.

Something like:

-NE loss North Kamildor
    -Move to Duskwood
    -make dream portal around Duskwood like Warcraft 3 NE base.
    -have plot were malfurian recruits some members of their old nature friends
    - have tyrandre distance herself from humans since they couldn't help defend her home.
    - other shit to make them like thier older selves

I'm not a NE fan but this major sake up allows for the race to reinvent themselves. I want the same for the forsaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    It's just.. Night elves are portrayed as weak, paralized. nature loving fools.. they are super static and don't realy do anything.

I'd say blizzard is to late at saving them.. they had their chance at cataclysm and even Legion.. both failed and make them look even worse.

It sucks for all the Night elf fans out their hearing their badass druid character cry for some one to help him and on top of that, that being the only realy big thing for them throughout Legion.

Even their models had tons and tons of feedback to make them look stronger no derpy.. no f was given.

feelsbadforthefans I truly am.
    Reading this made me sad.

But it's true though, and that's what hurts the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    I can't believe people actually think that Maiev would be fit to lead. -_-" She is as bad as you could get for a leader of a race.
    No one is worse than Tyrande.

My main point is some people seem to think that the loss of Kamildor is the final nail in the coffin for the 'weak' NE it's not, it's the exact opposite. It's the time for the NE to go home and rethink their entire life.

[Cut to keep post length down]

I'm not a NE fan but this major sake up allows for the race to reinvent themselves. I want the same for the forsaken.
    I admire your optimism, but i just have trouble mustering the hope that Blizz will do anything constructive with the Night elves, maybe we'll have a few nameless angry NPCs here and there, but we're going to an island filled with yet more humans whose potential we get to bask in, so the Night elves will be stuck as pumpkin farmers and/or hobos (At least in-game, remember the Cataclysm "Reclaiming" of Ashenvale?) until the next expansion at least...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Hire decent writers.
    Pretty much this.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    I admire your optimism, but i just have trouble mustering the hope that Blizz will do anything constructive with the Night elves, maybe we'll have a few nameless angry NPCs here and there, but we're going to an island filled with yet more humans whose potential we get to bask in, so the Night elves will be stuck as pumpkin farmers and/or hobos (At least in-game, remember the Cataclysm "Reclaiming" of Ashenvale?) until the next expansion at least...
    I really do sympathize with the Allainces Human problem. The Horde had it with Orcs back in Cataclysm times but atleast now we're somewhat coming out of it with non-orc Warchiefs and focuses etc.

The best we can do it's hope I guess. With the legion class focus and BFA faction focus wr can only hope 9.0 will have a race focus. Give them each a thier own campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    And fire everyone who’s currently on the writing team.
    All they need to do is write the damn races to match their own description, failure to do so makes them look sloppy or incompetent and devalues our respect for the lore, not to mention makes us feel conned.

I didn't see DC or Marvel having to NERF heroes or just neglect half of their features when combining them to appear injustice League or Avengerd, like it's hard to write a good story where everyone is true to the power and features you wrote them with.f

But not blizzard, because lore is not a priority, they feel it is okay to write rubbish their own creation and expect me to respect their lore or stay in love with it.

I really do sympathize with the Allainces Human problem. The Horde had it with Orcs back in Cataclysm times but atleast now we're somewhat coming out of it with non-orc Warchiefs and focuses etc.

The best we can do it's hope I guess. With the legion class focus and BFA faction focus wr can only hope 9.0 will have a race focus. Give them each a thier own campaigns.
    Let's be clear here, it is not the Alliance's human problem. It's Warcraft's human problem. It affects the Horde in pretty significant ways too. Like blood elves rarely having a showing of powerful mages because mage story is so dominated by humans. Or beating Sylvanas like a redheaded step child with the villain bat because heaven forbid Anduin ever do something mean.

It also affects the Horde in less direct ways. Like forcing draenei and night elf storylines into neutrality since there's little room for them in the Alliance narrative. Of course, the draenei story still needed a human as the leader, because reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Let's be clear here, it is not the Alliance's human problem. It's Warcraft's human problem. It affects the Horde in pretty significant ways too. Like blood elves rarely having a showing of powerful mages because mage story is so dominated by humans. Or beating Sylvanas like a redheaded step child with the villain bat because heaven forbid Anduin ever do something mean.

It also affects the Horde in less direct ways. Like forcing draenei and night elf storylines into neutrality since there's little room for them in the Alliance narrative. Of course, the draenei story still needed a human as the leader, because reasons.
    Honestly the best depiction of humans in Warcraft was ironically Lord of the Clans where they depicted in a more morally gray light.

Honestly the best depiction of humans in Warcraft was ironically Lord of the Clans where they depicted in a more morally gray light.
    They were fine in WC3 as well.

The problem is Blizzard keeps going back to that WC1 lawful good christian human shit. And the vomit inducing "unity" theme for the Alliance.

It’s too late.
    Just like making Forsaken fit the Horde.
    Or making warcraft humans make sense.
    Or making the power balance in magics be fair.
    Or making tauren badass again.

Night elves were sacrificed for the sake of humans. Because Blizzard still thinks that humans are the only race Warcraft players can identify with and considera everything else as just a side dish.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the next expansion list of demands now includes an individual leveling experience for each race ...?

You people.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted

We atleast get to kill them, not just ride thier dicks

We atleast get to kill them, not just ride thier dicks
    Yeah, but you're made out to be evil for doing it.

Also, you kind of missed and hit the night elves instead. Do that to Stormwind.

They were fine in WC3 as well.

The problem is Blizzard keeps going back to that WC1 lawful good christian human shit. And the vomit inducing "unity" theme for the Alliance.
    I honestly dislike the direction humans have taken in general. With Lord of the Clans and Blood and Honor you get the impression that the holier than thou lawful good visage wasn't entirely accurate and they were still a feudalistic society plagued by class struggles, poverty, sexism and very scary but realistic abuses of power.

I honestly dislike the direction humans have taken in general. With Lord of the Clans and Blood and Honor you get the impression that the holier than thou lawful good visage wasn't entirely accurate and they were still a feudalistic society plagued by class struggles, poverty, sexism and very scary but realistic abuses of power.
    Oh, I hate how often fantasy settings use feudalistic humans as a race and then show absolutely none of the drawbacks of feudalism. There's a reason countries had very, very violent revolutions to get away from feudalism.

No one is worse than Tyrande.
    Is this supposed to be a serious discussion? Maiev certainly is worse than anyone you can think of that's not flat out villian.

Night Elves should become the Forsaken of the Alliance and act swiftly and mercilessly, killing "invaders" and razing everything they don't like.

Saying that they don't need the Alliance is being silly though, without that both them (and the Draenei) would long be gone as Horde's quest mobs.
    As we saw in the various media and in game the Night Elves actually like being in the Alliance and share many values with the other races, they also shaped the faction alot on their own since they are one of the main reason Blood Elves and Nightborne are in the Horde.
    Night Elves players shouldn't be baited by (internet) trolls, it's good to have a laugh with "hUmAn PoTeNtIal" but that is far from the race problem.

However I do think that the Alliance is indeed weighting too much on the Eastern Kingdom "Human" core flavourwise: Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, Gilneans, Void Elves, Dark Irons and Kul Tirans are all races that are deeply rooted with the Alliance of old theme and Night Elves have very little to do with that.
    Draenei, due to the Exodar location, could have helped and should have been closer to the Night Elves however their culture and story wasn't a very good fit for that and they actually work better around the "Human" core aswell with Lightforged doubling down on that.
    Worgen were probably another try with their druidic origin and their "awesome" tree in Darnassus but it was soon pretty clear that Gilneans wanted nothing of that and took the first ship to Stormwind as soon as possible, with Genn on the lead.
    The Horde had something similar with the Forsaken but that got fixed mostly with the addition of the Blood Elves which were closer to their "core".

I really hope that Blizzard fixes this problem by adding some Allied races that weight more on the Kalimdor/Night Elves side of the spectrum; Furbolgs/Jalgar/Night Elven Worgen/Satyr/Whatever could probably work or maybe some other nature spirit/race we don't know much about.