Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The bet part is browsing your char select screen and seeing every toon with an outrageously ridiculous weapon.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Honestly, best feature of legion and I hope they do it again! If with gear some challenges are still hard if you try to zerg it. My only complaint is that when they first came out some specs relied on a legendary while some other specs were much suited compared to others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    But then again, in the story, we're pretty brutal murder machines and not really "strategical assets". Just send us in and we'll murder everything in our way!
    So I guess the solution here is simple - we'll murder everyone.

Deleted
    So my thoughts on mage tower..

1) The uptime was a bit of an inconvenience; I'm not sure why a personal challenge should be gated in this way.
    2) Some of the mechanics weren't very reflective of other content in the game; I noticed this especially as a healer.
    3) In addition, I had some issues with the actual functionality of some of the mechanics. As a healer, the floating souls in the last phases would give me LOS errors, and wouldn't let me heal until they were significantly past the wall.
    4) Some form of actual checkpointing would be nice. Even if it only activates where you've failed 50 times or whatever. Again, particularly as a healer, re-doing those waves of enemies wasn't very fun if I got a bit of bad luck in the last phase. The idea is challenge, not attrition.

I think they could probably look at adding something to it for each tier, rather than a standalone. Right now, it's possible to pretty much just outgear it, and I don't think that fits the core idea of a challenge mode.

7+ Year Old Account
    The fact that you are terrible at the game and can not complete the Mage Tower is not Blizzards fault its your and no it is not a flop just people who can't do with a bit of a challenge!

Deleted
    Did it at 895 ilvl when it first came out and loved the fact it was difficult, had to use every ability and keep track of 4-5 things at the same time. and it felt super rewarding once i did it. not related to raid gating or anything and imo we need more stuff like this. Not related to being able to do new content but a challenge that is actually challenging.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashwing View Post
    The fact that you are terrible at the game and can not complete the Mage Tower is not Blizzards fault its your and no it is not a flop just people who can't do with a bit of a challenge!
    I think even without the 'challenge ' I have had a lot of fun doing them the past week or so (15 done this week).

I'm getting to play specs I don't normally and work out how to apply my limited knowledge and skill to a particular encounter.

Sure, it's not the same kind of challenge as doing them at more appropriate ilvl, but it's still a challenge, one that I have enjoyed a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    It is clear to me that the mage tower was considered a flop by Blizzard. I would guess that the only reason for this would be if only a tiny, TINY percentage of 110 characters have either unlocked, or, attempted to unlock the xmog. Obviously whenever there is a poll on mmo-c, 180% of players have completed every single challenge for every single spec on every single class, but i suspect the truth is quite different.

Why would Blizzard not continue the Mage Tower, with new challenges in the next expansion? It could have been with armor sets this time.
    Someones not good enough to do them I see.

Mage tower challenges was the best thing they ever done in legion. 1 thing i didnt like about it though is that you could overgear it. They shouldve made it like a premade set of ilvl 900 gear you wear when you get in, not scaling coz as we all know there is still minmaxing to be done with gear scaling to cheese it. I did it on 8 specs on release, I really wanna do it on more specs but i cbf bringing toons up to 900 ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Yeah it is, every character gets a legendary within hours of hitting 110, for nothing, literally for doing any content, including brain-afk content. Legendaries in legion play right into the wheelhouse of modern blizz, "rewards for everyone" motto. Literally the only requirement is that you waste your life doing WQs every day.
    Actually it isn't, especially if you don't get the right legendary. You seem to have completely forgotten all the pissing and moaning by many people who didn't get the best legendaries right away. None of those players thought it was instant gratification. The words "instant gratification" were basically never used to describe the legendary system.

I wish they would bring back challenge mode instead of mage tower for BFA. I rather enjoyed doing the challenges with friends and I wish they would would put more group content back into the game instead of all these solo scenarios we saw in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper2005 View Post
    I wish they would bring back challenge mode instead of mage tower for BFA. I rather enjoyed doing the challenges with friends and I wish they would would put more group content back into the game instead of all these solo scenarios we saw in Legion.
    We already have mythic+ for challenging dungeon content... Mage tower was amazing.

Mage Tower was a flop imo, as it should of scaled with each content patch, instead of being able to run in there 70 ilvls higher than those who completed when it was relevant. If there is another one, I hope they make it limited time only, or at least bring out new ones with content, giving those who complete them satisfaction, rather than making it a chore later on.

I for one loved the «easyfication» of the MT. I did it on my main with ilvl 885 when the MT was active for the first time in EU, and the challenge required every drop of class knowledge and skill to pull off, which was satisfying as all hell. Now I’ve also done it on classes/specs I have never played at a high level, and would never have been able to pull off what I did on the main character. I don’t need other players to know that my DH getting the MT look before ToS was released is hella more prestigious than my assassination rogue getting it just the other day, because I know that myself. Letting me grab those juicy mogs for specs I would normally never play is fine by me.

If the challenge hadn’t been timed and potentially scaled I would have a different view though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blysto View Post
    There will be coming something like the mage tower in BfA. Im nearly 100% certain
    They have said they have no plans at all of doing anything like mage tower in bfa.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Congrats on joining the ever growing "i linked the post, but i didnt read it!" club.

7+ Year Old Account
    They have said they have no plans at all of doing anything like mage tower in bfa.
    That's a shame. Hope it's incorrect or they'll change their mind.

I'm willing to accept Challenge Mode situations as "anything like the mage tower," though. I do hope there's a non-raid, limited source of challenging transmog.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollioswoop View Post
    So my thoughts on mage tower..

1) The uptime was a bit of an inconvenience; I'm not sure why a personal challenge should be gated in this way.
    2) Some of the mechanics weren't very reflective of other content in the game; I noticed this especially as a healer.
    3) In addition, I had some issues with the actual functionality of some of the mechanics. As a healer, the floating souls in the last phases would give me LOS errors, and wouldn't let me heal until they were significantly past the wall.
    4) Some form of actual checkpointing would be nice. Even if it only activates where you've failed 50 times or whatever. Again, particularly as a healer, re-doing those waves of enemies wasn't very fun if I got a bit of bad luck in the last phase. The idea is challenge, not attrition.

I think they could probably look at adding something to it for each tier, rather than a standalone. Right now, it's possible to pretty much just outgear it, and I don't think that fits the core idea of a challenge mode.
    I agree with some of these. The uptime was a strange design choice, for something that some people were happy to pour endless hours into, but due to life / work / whatever, only had certain timeslots to play, and often the tower was not up during those times. I had thought a BETTER system might have been a token system. So once the tower was up, you spoke to a vendor, and could purchase attempt tokens for shards, same cost. You could carry a certain max number, 50, 75, whatever, and they lasted until used. They could be account bound, so you are still somewhat limited, but yeah i thought personally for me, that would have been a better system.

I am against checkpointing, but i think it could have been alright if some of them where really tough, but shorter duration. But overall, i was ok with them. When progressing on them at earlier ilvls, around the 910s, i certainly got frustrated at times when you would get right into the second phase of Kruul, then make a stupid mistake. I get thats the point, but once you have say the first phase down, having to do it over and over again just to get to the 'tough' part of the fight can deff be annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post

I'm willing to accept Challenge Mode situations as "anything like the mage tower," though. I do hope there's a non-raid, limited source of challenging transmog.
    although many are getting blinded and full of rage and wound up, i genuinely hope they do something similar. I have stated many times i have really enjoyed the Mage tower, and although its far from perfect, am very surprised by them openly saying they have no plans to do anything similar during BfA. Hopefully they change their mind or are just bluffing, but i suspect they are trying to use island adventures to fill that part of the market.

I really dont see how it does though, 1P vs 3P, and overall its a VERY different type of content. But i just get the feeling thats BfA's small scale content.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    i strongly disagree with that - mage tower had 1 extemly limiting factor and flaw- uptime

for a lot of people it wasnt a problem to do them - it was to find enough time when they were up.

towers should have been 100 proc of time - you can see now how many people are doing them when they are up 100% time - if they were like this since last year the completion ratio would be completly different.

this is 1 thing blizzard absolutely fucked up and which makes them a flop in eyes of many people and which is why they dont make anything like this in future since it was seen as waste of resources and developement time due to to little participation ratio.

not everybody is living in mommy's basement and had time to do them whenever they were up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post
    they wont - most people simply ignored it so it was a waste of development time.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2018-07-08 at 10:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at all the idiotic posts bashing the OP. They read the title of the thread and proceed to respond without reading the OP. OP is asking why Blizzard thinks Mage Towers are a flop by Blizzard, not him, and people are bashing him. Shows how lazy the WoW community is today. Friggin' hilarious... hilarious and pathetic. It doesn't take that long to read a post guys and gals. Try reading before responding. Its not hard. It doesn't take much time.
    Last edited by The Iron Fist; 2018-07-08 at 10:52 PM.

I can't speak for others, but I've quite enjoyed it. In fact, if there were more things like this I would definitely keep my subscription active longer.

I agree with some of these. The uptime was a strange design choice, for something that some people were happy to pour endless hours into, but due to life / work / whatever, only had certain timeslots to play, and often the tower was not up during those times. I had thought a BETTER system might have been a token system. So once the tower was up, you spoke to a vendor, and could purchase attempt tokens for shards, same cost. You could carry a certain max number, 50, 75, whatever, and they lasted until used. They could be account bound, so you are still somewhat limited, but yeah i thought personally for me, that would have been a better system.

I am against checkpointing, but i think it could have been alright if some of them where really tough, but shorter duration. But overall, i was ok with them. When progressing on them at earlier ilvls, around the 910s, i certainly got frustrated at times when you would get right into the second phase of Kruul, then make a stupid mistake. I get thats the point, but once you have say the first phase down, having to do it over and over again just to get to the 'tough' part of the fight can deff be annoying.
    I admit, the relatively short timings on the tower uptime were a bit frustrating. There were definitely some of my skin unlocks that took longer due to having something on when the tower unlocked. Still I personally found the biggest time sinks were always levelling and gearing up alts, once that was done it was only a case of allocating a small portion of time to the challenge itself.