Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I am far the best tank out there, having only played offspec blood for LFR and dungeons (up to about M+10). With 945 ilevel (and concordance 75) I managed to nail the challenge in about 2 hours. I had never even touched Vengeance DH and I nailed it last night with ilevel 940, and suboptimal legendaries. If I can do it, I have absolute faith that anyone with average tanking ability will manage. Just keep at it. It can be frustrating but you'll definitely improve the more you practice (and having done it on one class makes it easier with the second - I had to learn the spec and had worse gear on my DH and still manage in a similar amount of time).

To be fair, it does take a certain amount of tanking skills to nail this. Using damage reduction cds properly to survive the stacking debuff in P1 is how you're meant to up your dps. You need to interrupt stuff, you need to control a bunch of adds etc. In p2 it's all about the kiting + damage mitigation + add control + situational awareness. The "dps race" is more the way people with lower tanking skills handle it (like me :P)

It's actually what I ended up doing for Blood DK. Popped everything at the start and burned Variss down in 40 seconds using AMS and all my available interrupts to stop mind rend from killing me. Made P2 a lot more manageable because there were 0 infernals.
    When you don't tank, you tend to think that tanking only consists of soaking damage and having a healer spam you at 100%

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    I agree that DK skins are ugly but frost and unholy are so easy that if you have 920ilvl+ dk then I would just do it for fun, I found them to be the easiest of their respective scenarios out of all specs. Blood is pain the ass though.
    Make another lovely argus run to obtain tranmog that’s I will never use? How about no

Personally, I think frost and unholy default appearances are great and bdk balance of power as well.

I had never even touched Vengeance DH and I nailed it last night with ilevel 940, and suboptimal legendaries. If I can do it, I have absolute faith that anyone with average tanking ability will manage. Just keep at it. It can be frustrating but you'll definitely improve the more you practice (and having done it on one class makes it easier with the second - I had to learn the spec and had worse gear on my DH and still manage in a similar amount of time).
    Did yesterday with 920 dh w/o good legendaries, drums, enchants, food in 2(!) tries.
    It’s insultingly easy, espessialy right after the prot war.
    Last edited by Aesde; 2018-07-09 at 12:39 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Yea, the last year wasn't enough.

Got it, let's delay the prepatch and the expansion so you can catch up, seems fine. /s

Absurd.
    TBH I actually agree with the OP. The thing is it's not about the time it takes to do the mage tower so much as all the other stuff that is going on at the same time. This whole expansion felt like one continuous marathon with no real break between tiers to stop and breathe and get to all the non-raid content, which is in stark contrast to other expansions where there has been a dearth of content at the end of the expansion.

BfA just feels, to me at least, like it's arriving a month too soon and a number of people I know feel the same way. While I get that some people do blaze through content, I don't think you guys represent the majority of players....

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    I generally don't do much healing, but I think the concept of fistweaving sounds very interesting. If I ever do main a healer it might just be a fistweaving monk, assuming they legitimise it again in BFA
    There is also a spec called holy paladin. It's a melee healer as well and it works already.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Well - not really, for me I've only had even a minor chance in the last few weeks since the artefact upped my health. They decided to match the least movement able spec to the most movement heavy challenge. Way to go Blizzard.

Even then - still not going to happen, so pre patch for me just tells me when I stop getting +25 Lvl pet tokens
    Luckily, all the challenges are tuned to be doable at like 900 ilevel, so with current gear you can ignore a bunch of mechanics if you can't outplay them.

- - - Updated - - -

TBH I actually agree with the OP. The thing is it's not about the time it takes to do the mage tower so much as all the other stuff that is going on at the same time. This whole expansion felt like one continuous marathon with no real break between tiers to stop and breathe and get to all the non-raid content, which is in stark contrast to other expansions where there has been a dearth of content at the end of the expansion.

BfA just feels, to me at least, like it's arriving a month too soon and a number of people I know feel the same way. While I get that some people do blaze through content, I don't think you guys represent the majority of players....
    See, this I can agree with. Legion's pacing was too fast, whereas previous expansions may have been a bit too slow. They need to hit some sort of middle ground, which I'd probably say they could easily do if they just merged world and raid content back into the same patch(and released those at the same pace as in Legion). That way we don't get Broken Shore while still in Nighthold or Argus while we're still in ToS. Sure, we'd get more content at once with each patch(like in the past), but there'd be more time with just that content, allowing us to pace ourselves a bit more instead of feeling rushed through it.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2018-07-09 at 04:38 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    See, this I can agree with. Legion's pacing was too fast, whereas previous expansions may have been a bit too slow. They need to hit some sort of middle ground, which I'd probably say they could easily do if they just merged world and raid content back into the same patch(and released those at the same pace as in Legion). That way we don't get Broken Shore while still in Nighthold or Argus while we're still in ToS. Sure, we'd get more content at once with each patch(like in the past), but there'd be more time with just that content, allowing us to pace ourselves a bit more instead of feeling rushed through it.
    Therein lies the problem. They can't design the pace of content around one type of player. No matter what pace Blizz puts out content, someone will complain that it's either too fast or too slow. There is no sweet spot. There is only a complete overlap of people's subjective opinions.

Personally, I thought the pacing was a bit fast for my playstyle, but that's ok. I'm sure if they slowed things down to my pace, then others would be crying....lol

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    thanks guys for the tips!
    shadow priest with Surrender to Madness is probably the easiest challenge to do. well that and the feral druid atm.
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    Therein lies the problem. They can't design the pace of content around one type of player. No matter what pace Blizz puts out content, someone will complain that it's either too fast or too slow. There is no sweet spot. There is only a complete overlap of people's subjective opinions.

Personally, I thought the pacing was a bit fast for my playstyle, but that's ok. I'm sure if they slowed things down to my pace, then others would be crying....lol
    Exactly. They're never going to please everyone and I imagine they gave up on trying long ago.

On topic, I also wish BFA wasn't so close. Not specifically for mage tower stuff (I have the vast majority of my desired appearances, @27 now) but just in general, I feel like we haven't really had a chance to just... stop and smell the roses. Its been kind of a roller coaster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    shadow priest with Surrender to Madness is probably the easiest challenge to do. well that and the feral druid atm.
    I've finished the Raest/Karam tower on all classes except SP. Mine isn't that geared and so I have a hard time getting the Hands down fast enough. By the time I've killed one, he's catching up to me and another has spawned.

It isn't a huge deal since I don't find the appearance especially interesting to begin with, but I'd still kind of like to have it.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Exactly. They're never going to please everyone and I imagine they gave up on trying long ago.

On topic, I also wish BFA wasn't so close. Not specifically for mage tower stuff (I have the vast majority of my desired appearances, @27 now) but just in general, I feel like we haven't really had a chance to just... stop and smell the roses. Its been kind of a roller coaster.

- - - Updated - - -

I've finished the Raest/Karam tower on all classes except SP. Mine isn't that geared and so I have a hard time getting the Hands down fast enough. By the time I've killed one, he's catching up to me and another has spawned.

It isn't a huge deal since I don't find the appearance especially interesting to begin with, but I'd still kind of like to have it.
    activate surrender to madeness when karem first attacks you so you can cast while moving and when he is around 70% go into void form and when raest is active burn him down fast. make a macro with target raest, cast drums of furry, prolonged power elixir and voila he dies. did it with 920 something gear and some shitty leggies.
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post

Just 1phase it?
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I know they made it easier, but I would've loved if they made the entry for each attempt free. It will save you a couple hours per character.

I raised 3 characters, a Paladin, DH and Monk from 850 to 910-ish ilvl in just 3 days and managed to complete the dps challenge for all of them with no legendaries except the ring from Antorus. It's severely annoying Argus world quests are gated for each character.

While attempting the Retribution one last night, a DDos attack happened, and I would swear the runes from the floor and the throw spear mechanics stopped happening and I finished it like it was nothing thanks to that lol.

I noticed the concordance level is going up by 1 each day, and they said the concordance cap is 100. If you calculate it 'till it reaches 100 it comes in July 24th. I have serious bets that this will be the pre-patch day.
    Last edited by javierdsv; 2018-07-09 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Fixing month.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    I only cared about ONE skin - prot pally. Couldn't agree with your gripe more; an actual /tank/ challenge it was not. Finally got it yesterday though.

Damn, is pre-patch the 17th? I was hoping for the 10th.

O.o

Mage Tower rarity is based on doing the challenge not frequency of the tower being up.

And this:
    As far as I recall, you need the tower up to do it, and now it is always up, meaning that it becomes more common.

Got my third - and final - skin yesterday. I specifically went only for the ones I really wanted across all of my max-level characters. The funny thing was that once I finally got my Affliction one done (more tries than I want to think about), the Assassination and Feral ones took 4 and 3 tries, respectively. (Almost got the feral one on the second try, but I misjudged a boulder with about 15% to go.)

As for the other skins, yeah, f that. No way do I do that Twins challenge again, and nothing else really appeals to me. I got the ones for the specs I play on three of my top four characters anyway. (My Shadow Priest has unkind words for Karam after what my Warlock went through.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Other than extreme completionism, I don't see why you'd need -all- the mage tower skins... If you'll never play x class or spec, what's the point? You won't actually be using the skin anyway...
    I get what you say but if you have all chars geared anyways might as try to get the challenge done.

And I'm mostly planning on playing paladin/warrior in bfa but with the guardian druid one being cool I geared a druid too and got the skin just in case ill ever end up playing druid!

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    As far as I recall, you need the tower up to do it, and now it is always up, meaning that it becomes more common.
    While technically true, it's not like the window of time it was up served as any serious boost to scarcity.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    35/36 and just missing Mistweaver (which I've heard is somewhat manageable with fistweaving), so I'd say I've had just enough time to get Mage Tower done. That said I'd love more time to get Chosen done for all armor types and I'd love to reach 2.4k rating on my shaman main, but it's my own fault that I've been postponing everything until the very end of Legion
    I thought Mistweaver was way easier than Holy Priest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by javierdsv View Post
    I noticed the concordance level is going up by 1 each day, and they said the concordance cap is 100. If you calculate it 'till it reaches 100 it comes in August 24th. I have serious bets that this will be the pre-patch day.
    Prepatch will come out after the expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    For me it was really hard... everytime i reached raest, the insanity bar fell to 0 like a meteor. I finally managed a way to sustain it until he went down.

Frost mage is the hardest one I've done so far. My attempts count already exceeds that of prot paladin. I'm getting really unlucky with procs so it's taking a lot to burn Karam down both times and I don't have any good legendaries for the encounter. People say it's easy with orb + adds, but those adds run out in P3 when Raest quits summoning them and you're essentially back to P1 with the addition of hands.

I wish I hadn't started with frost mage. I still need to do all the other class/specs, but after mage I don't want to do that encounter anymore. :\
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by InfectHerGadget View Post
    I get what you say but if you have all chars geared anyways might as try to get the challenge done.

And I'm mostly planning on playing paladin/warrior in bfa but with the guardian druid one being cool I geared a druid too and got the skin just in case ill ever end up playing druid!
    I file that under extreme completionism. I may ofc be wrong, but I really doubt that someone would have the time to play all classes and specs to a degreewhere a mage tower skin would matter... Ofc, you could just pay for level boosted alts I suppose, but same deal there, completionism beyond sensible...at least in my opinion.

But yeah, I get it, really, I took a gamble and really wanted to get the assassination rogue MT skin (love those things), and I ended up really liking the class too, buuut BfA right around the corner, hoping it doesn't change too much. xD I guess I should check... Only really kept track of DH and Hunter, and DH seems like it's a dud so far... Having my druid as backup, also with MT skin, and brown tint.

So yeah, not like I don't understand why one would go out of their way to get a few choice MT's done because of great design or because they plan to play the class, but like...all classes and all their specs seems overkill. xD

You do realise that a response like this simply tells me you haven't bothered to think about what I said....
    It's not like this is a new subject. I don't have to spend any more time than it took for me to write "Bull. Shit." because I've already thought about it plenty.

No, it's nothing like those things. .
    It is exactly like those things. It's content. Other content was also meant to challenge players. Your examples of cutting edge and such. Did Blizzard just decide to turn off those raids after a certain date? No. Then why not do the same for the challenges?

Perhaps change the color of the skins to show recognition of those who did it when it was current. I have no problem with that, in the same way I have no problem with people who obtain cutting edge achievements. But leave the content available.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I felt rather accomplished in having gotten the Marksman appearance before Antorus.
    Annnnnd....you just described the actual reward of doing the challenge when it's current (which incidentally reinforces my point about how content shouldn't be removed).