Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rend Blackhand View Post
    17m people in the UK are not racist. This is what remain supporters simply cannot get their heads around. The sneering middle classes thinking working people are a white trash hive mind.
    Well, you don't live in the UK, you wouldn't know.

Solve by experiment: get a cab driver or a plumber drunk and let them think you agree with them and observe. Instant racist!

Deleted
    Rend Blackhand wrote: "17m people in the UK are not racist. "

Yeah, they are. You don't live here you wouldn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    "my vote went to the winning team only to get reversed because the winning team lied continuously about what I was voting for, promised something completely impossible and then ran away shortly after they achieved the result that most of them did not actually want - oh, and repeatedly broke UK electoral law throughout the campaign"

depends how you phrase the "because..." I guess
    I’m still fuming about the fallout of that “I never said we’d give money to the NHS” even though that was the main focus of their campaign” If people voted because it would sort out immigration and send all the immigrants back to their countries at the drop of a hat then they’re just as delusional as the current PM

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    May's plan is idiocy. There is NO point to a soft Brexit, it is far better to reverse the decision altogether. If Brexit means Brexit, it would have to be hard. if they cannot stomache the consequences of a hard Brexit, they should not exit at all. Do a new referendum only make the options:
    a) Remain and maybe learn to vote for competent MEPs that actually show for work and vote against the things they protest about
    b) Hard Brexit, reignite the Troubles, no free movement of goods or services.
    The point of a soft brexit is to not commit policital suicde that the most sensible option would bring (you betrayed the "will" of the people!) without having to face the consequences from the idiotic option (our country just lost access to most of our trading partners!).
    It's trying to cheat your way out of that political stunt you pulled.

Which, I agree, looks sort of idiotic. But hey, I think she knew what she was getting into, when she took the job no one wanted.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by starplorth View Post

I lived there and they’re not, just because they voted out doesn’t mean that they’re all racist. Wishing to have tighter control on immigration doesn’t mean they’re racist, you have your facts scewered

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Boris is right, the current Brexit plan is bullshit.

If brexit is reversed or the UK still remains in some sort of Union with the EU, I’ll never vote again. It’s one thing to have your side lose an election or referendum, it’s another thing entirely for your side to win and then have your result completely betrayed.
    If you ask me, the whole concept of making a long term change of this magnitude based on a simple majority from a referendum (something susceptible to short term impulsivity) was very, very stupid. It should have required a 2/3 majority in parliament. So there's your first problem.

The second problem is that a lot of voters based their decision on what (if anything) to vote for on their belief that the "stay" vote victory was assured.

So what you got was a bunch of "exit" voters who didn't even want a brexit but instead thought they'd be clever and that a few more "exit" votes would be a good way to protest their dissatisfaction with government. And then there are the people who due to complacency just didn't even vote. (I bet they're kicking themselves now).

Even with all that, your "victory" was only by the slenderest margin. The brexit vote is no more the "will of the people" than an own goal by England in the semi-final would be.

The EU VAT rules prevent the UK from removing VAT from products such as tampons, makes things really expensive than they need to be for ladies
    VAT rules which are soon to be relaxed at an EU level based on pressure from the UK government and others - i'm not sure this is a good advertisement for the UK being "chained to foreign courts", more an example of the influence we "had" to change things that needed to be changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Denning View Post
    We got a barrier for free, it's called the Channel. And one of the best things that's ever been done was tunnelling under it.
    Boats exist. As long as there is an uninterrupted path between the UK and EU there will be temptation for people in UK to trade with the EU devil and enslave them to EU's tyrannical laws via the trading deal that's bound to arise in such a situation. If a wall is built, they will be prevented from trading with EU forever, free to live in their hard Brexit Utopia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starplorth View Post

Yes, I would know. I lived there from birth until age 22. I’m moving back in November
    Me not that kind of Orc!

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Well, EU could just wall UK off and make London pay for it. Problem solved.
    TBH, that "holy" hard Brexit on wich the Bexit votes voted is kinda exactly that already. They want to leave Europe fully, not 1 part of the connection between the UK and the EU should remain.
    Thing is, being outside the EU, and the European Economic Area is by default creating a wall around the UK. 50% of the UKs trade is afterall with the EU. That a drop in, or full halt of that trade will cause a huge economic downturn is something they do not seem to have any issue's with, or are to ignorant to understand.

And hey, for better or worse, just as a country deserves the leaders it chooses, a country also deserves its choice in economic terms. Thats how democracy works.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    I lived there and they’re not, just because they voted out doesn’t mean that they’re all racist. Wishing to have tighter control on immigration doesn’t mean they’re racist, you have your facts scewered
    Yeah it does. No one who isn't a racist cares that much about immigration.

Britain is “truly headed for the status of colony,” he said, adding that the “dream” of Brexit “is dying.”
    Maybe you should've done less dreaming and more planning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggler View Post
    The thing is, the brexit that the leave campaign envisioned was never feasible to begin with, but people believed them. Now thatreality caught up with them the people that are responsible for this mess (Boris, Farage) are jumping ship. It's hilarios.
    Farage jumped ship the moment the leavers won. Kinda funny

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    Yeah it does. Very few people who aren't racist have any interest in immigration. Racists just like to hide behind that issue because calling yourself a racist isn't likely to be popular.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denning View Post
    The issue is simply that the public were not adequately informed on the topic. It should NEVER have gone to a referendum. At least 95% of the public don't know how the EU and it's institutions work, why it legislates, and that the European Court of Human Rights is not actually part of the EU. How the fuck can you put the question to the general public when the public are that poorly informed. That's before you consider the disinformation campaign by the two Leave campaigns. Instead of an informed decision, we had the public voting Leave in a backlash against the elites, rather ironically seeking an outcome that hurts the elites far less than the general public.

Don't get me started with the idea that you need a hard Brexit to respect the referendum. There is no mandate for a hard Brexit, and most of the Leave campaign's discourse before the referendum spoke of easily making a deal - doesn't sound like a hard Brexit that. The public voted for Brexit, not a hard Brexit or a soft Bexit, just Brexit in any form. It's like asking for any car and then getting pissy that you got a Citroen, not a Ferrari.
    Agreed.

One point though: Given how close the election was, they may as well have decided this on a coin toss...

Deleted
    Rend Blackhand wrote: "Yes, I would know. I lived there from birth until age 22. I’m moving back in November"

You aren't living here. You were commenting on current affairs.

10+ Year Old Account
    There can be trade that doesn’t chain countries down to foreign courts
    You do realise that even WTO allows for arbitrations, aka, "foreign courts", right?
    Only outside WTO can you realise trade that follows only what is stated in the trade agreement (for a speciffic instance of trade, a singular case of "I give you X and you give Y", not "EU now trades with UK under these conditions"). Any aditional blanket agreement, like, say, an agreement on trade conditions between the UK and the EU after Article 50 period runs out, would still contain provisions for the settlement of situations where conflicts arise, and those would have to be solved at a third party - in this case, again, most likely via WTO as a neutral third party.
    You can however bet that trade under such conditions would be VERY painful too, because refusing any third party (those "foreign courts") for arbitration purposes (or any other ones) will require any and all trade agreements to have extremely strict conditions written into them, to make up for any loses caused should the treaty conditions be broken.
    And keep in mind, UK is not an empire anymore. Not a world power either. UK will not be able to strongarm good trade position for itself the way it could have to until the 50s. The way Brexit happened also puts UK in a dubious light - first asking for preferential treatement from the EU, then asking for more, and then telling the EU to go shaft itself anyway is not exactly a good precedent for further agreements.

Deleted
    un_known wrote : "I lived there and they’re not, just because they voted out doesn’t mean that they’re all racist. Wishing to have tighter control on immigration doesn’t mean they’re racist, you have your facts scewered"

If you aren't racist, then you wouldn't be that much interested in immigration. It is like a foot pervert claiming not to be a foot pervert when you point out their large collection of "Foot Fetish Monthly" magazines.

It's almost as if the consequences of Brexit are disastrous for the UK.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Serenais wrote: "You do realise that even WTO allows for arbitrations, aka, "foreign courts", right?"

Can I just save you some time here? If he was capable of understanding your argument, he wouldn't be a Brexiteer in the first place.

Imagine speaking to a four-year old, the communication will go better.