Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Well I will agree with you on that point, but then again I wasn't privy to Senate Intelligence either. So whatever was sold to the Public I am guessing was harder on those casting the vote.

Hahaha yeah you know who else was being arrested and beaten and threatened with death Democrats who have served in the house and senate since then, and have actually done something with their positions to help the very communities you are giving Bernie Credit for.

But Bernie is an Independent! Who spent 30 year doing what?

Give me bills he's championed or better yet Authored.

Give me some Causes pre 16 that he has campaigned and risked his Career and Life for?
    I have to respond to this because the disingenuity required to post something like this stems from pure dogma.

Bernie as an independent couldn't sponsor or author bills because our two party system makes it nearly impossible.

Both parties are very entrenched in their "political victories" so Bernie could have authored a bill that would somehow usher in Utopia and the ruling party would have someone post an identical bill and go with that.

Independents have NEVER been able to author bills, so asking that question is just ignorant of how the Congress works.

What Bernie did successfully was to file amendments to existing bills and NO ONE was more successful at getting amendments passed than Bernie Sanders, both in the House and Senate.

For anyone to put out stuff like "Bernie did nothing in his 30+ years" means they are purposefully ignorant to such an extent that they are too lazy or stubborn to type "Bernie Sanders accomplishments" into Google.

I mean, damn.

As for "Give me bills he's championed..." again...Google.

You want others to do the work only so that you can put forth a canned response. That's bullshit. Do your own homework.

If you try to answer and literally can't find the answer after diligent searching, THEN ask. Otherwise, you're relying on lazy dogma and any pretense of thoughtfulness is exposed as disingenuousness.

Time to abandon the bumper sticker bulllshit and bring something besides twitter takes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Biden and Warren are the two that seem to excite the base.
    And Biden likely won't run again for 2nd fiddle this time around.
    I mean he is old... he would be 80 at inauguration. Biden would be 79...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Which is why I am glad the rules changed that to run on the Democratic Ticket you have to be a Democrat.
    When you think about it, this is really weird.

Not because it doesn't make sense for a party nomination to only be open to party members- that does make sense- but that it was even necessary to change this in the first place. It's basically a tacit admission that the party isn't doing a good enough job representing its voters. If it was, an independent candidate wouldn't be able to 'co-opt' the party. If a party is worried about outsiders being more popular with its voters than their own candidates, maybe that's a good sign that the party needs to make some changes.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    All he's said so far is that he hasn't ruled it out.
    Honestly, the Democrats need better candidates for president. My ideal would be someone in their thirties or forties as a good contrast against Trump. There, on one side of the debate stage, is a young man or woman in their prime, looking presidential, while across them is a sweaty orange manchild who has two assholes but no mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    The Democrats need a candidate who represents sanity and bipartisanship.
    I would like sanity and consensus-building, but 2016 was a strong signal that people in this country want fundamental change- that a return to the status quo (outside of decorum and temperament...perhaps) is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    My guess is their cause will be immigration, but who knows.
    I hope not. It's not really a good issue for the Dems right now. Much of what you're seeing is in essence a reaction to the right wing's inhumane treatment of immigrants, especially undocumented, but I think that if Dems shut up about immigration and spend more time on corruption, healthcare, economy, and campaign and governmental reform, they better off they'll be with a broader swath of the voting public.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

I don't buy the obvious Republican smear campaign that convinced people (through the age-old repeat the lie enough times method) that she's the worst candidate ever. As far as I can tell, she's your average moderate right wing politician.

In fact that's probably her worst trait - being unremarkable. There's nothing especially good or bad about her. She's perfectly qualified but not very charismatic.

But the Democrats would be insane to run her again. That's not a good tactic at the best of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

If she is, she's certainly going to get kicked out of the primaries early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    When you think about it, this is really weird.

Not because it doesn't make sense for a party nomination to only be open to party members- that does make sense- but that it was even necessary to change this in the first place. It's basically a tacit admission that the party isn't doing a good enough job representing its voters. If it was, an independent candidate wouldn't be able to 'co-opt' the party. If a party is worried about outsiders being more popular with its voters than their own candidates, maybe that's a good sign that the party needs to make some changes.
    If only the GOP acted like they were as an exclusive club as the DNC, maybe Trump would've never been a thing.

I also wonder how bothered the DNC would have been by Bernie if their premier candidate was someone other than Hillary.

Thought exercises aside, our two party system really needs to change, but changing it will be a Herculean task that seems unlikely to happen since most people only seem to care about it around election time, which is too late. In the meantime, it seems weird to me have a problem with someone jumping on the band-wagon to try to win, unless you identify yourself as part of one of these two exclusive "clubs".

Could be smoke and mirrors.

Cheers

10+ Year Old Account
    She's not. This is just Republicans hate jerking it over the prospect of something they perceive would give them an advantage in the next Presidential election.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Could be smoke and mirrors.

Cheers
    This is Fox News asking about it, which means they are more like gassing bees to get them riled up for no reason because the word Hillary was said.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Fox news needed to light a fire under their drooling readerbase.... lol... viewers, somehow.

I hope so, I love good comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    All he's said so far is that he hasn't ruled it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Better choose a good VP...
    He better not pull the age card, cause a 92 year old man (about to be 93) in South-East Asia just won an election that was rigged against him. That said, he has chosen a younger successor to be Deputy Prime Minister, provided he can win a constituency, since he wants to retire (again) when he is 95 years old.

And true to his word, he has already arrested and begun court proceedings against the former leader of that country. Looks like 90 is the new 70 I guess. Which means Bernie has got no excuse, other than intra-party backstabbing, to not run for President.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Obama administration had scandals as well along with the Bush administration. I do not expect perfection but you outlined something that is clear. You need voters to connect with the person running or else it doesn't matter.

For those wondering...Hillary actually was very charismatic as the First Lady for both of Bill Clinton's terms. What has happened to her charisma is that she has toned it down during her political runs. While she has enjoyed early success politically she has hit the ceiling in that you need to have charisma to be President of the United States. Even Bush who is Dumb and Dumber 2.0 could connect with people even if Rumsfield and Cheney were running the show in the background,.
    Classifying people who would otherwise vote for you as sub par human beings just because they didn't go to law school at an Ivy League university isn't exactly a vote puller either.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    If only the GOP acted like they were as an exclusive club as the DNC, maybe Trump would've never been a thing.
    Also a sign to the GoP that they aren't representing their voters particularly well (which is damn scary given who they voted for). He was able to split the 'traditional' or 'establishment' GoP vote enough to get a plurality out of the gate- but I think part of it was an extension of the Tea Party insanity, which was only really a force in the House because Obama was president.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    I also wonder how bothered the DNC would have been by Bernie if their premier candidate was someone other than Hillary.
    They would probably still be bothered, because the moneybags for the DNC don't like Bernie, and the DNC doesn't want to lose those big and corporate donors.
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Also a sign to the GoP that they aren't representing their voters particularly well (which is damn scary given who they voted for). He was able to split the 'traditional' or 'establishment' GoP vote enough to get a plurality out of the gate- but I think part of it was an extension of the Tea Party insanity, which was only really a force in the House because Obama was president.

They would probably still be bothered, because the moneybags for the DNC don't like Bernie, and the DNC doesn't want to lose those big and corporate donors.
    Aye, on both counts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    This hostility towards independent candidates has convinced me to walk away. But, first. Let me tell you a story about a family I saw in remote off broadway show.

We are in this gorgeous theater, as the music settles and the lights dimm. First comes out a tall stalky men, who I later find out is the father. He turns to the audience, puts hands on his hips, thrusts forwards and starts yelling “smells of sulfur”. At this point an elderly woman hobels out, later find out that regardless of age, this was the mother in the family. As the man is screaming repeatedly. The woman drops on her knees in front of the man and just starts screaming “uranium one! Uranium one!”. As this is beginning to settle in, two kids appear on the stage. Each on the edge of the stage and neither more than 10 years old. You can distinctly see each holding a long beaded object. As they stands behind the man, they too drops on their knees, to joins the quire. The girl does so by screaming repeatedly “Benghazi! She knows!” and the boy screaming “Open borders!”. Now, this goes on for about 15 min and as we are about to leave, they in unison start screaming “but, her emails”. Shocked by the turn we wait it out... after that lasts another 30 min... silance falls over the crowd... the family walks to the front of the stage... takes a bow... and just as the curtains close, the man sighs in relief... we are... the aristocrats...
    Last edited by Felya; 2018-07-10 at 09:46 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    This is about Hillary, not Trump....wait, Trump is a disaster comedy like late Adam Sandler movies (so bad that you can only laugh at how bad it is) while Hillary is more like early Adam Sandler movies (which are still bad, but at least funny in some way)

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean I know the answer already but I'm just going to rhetorically ask...why can't conservatives stop talking about Hillary Clinton?
    Because she is the boogeyman right now they gets the right voters active.