Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    The only shocking thing in that article, is that Denmark’s prisons agency is not named Dankriminal.

But it is amazing how many people ITT support punishment at the cost of rehabilitation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Yeah by giving them internet so they can become extremists.
    Soo, you're a one sided kind of person. The internet was a gift to help them educate and get ready, it was a build of trust that have worked for quite a while until this..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Yeah by giving them internet so they can become extremists.
    Again; how do you explain the low rate of recidivism.

Because clearly despite extremist content being found, Denmark isn't producing a glut of extremists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Even if they are few, prisoners shouldnt have it better than those few. They are criminals and should face suffering or something, not luxury.
    Why should try face suffering? How is that gonna help them reform?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    care cup is empty. they made their choice now they live with it. america does it right. punish them.
    The reoffender rate doesn’t reflect “doing it right”

- - - Updated - - -

Should've thought of that before they committed crimes.
    Why not just give every criminal the death pentily then if you don’t care about them being rehabilitated and reintegrating into society?

You sure you're not from Murcia? Because you think alike.

What do known criminals do when they can't get a job? Come on, even toddlers would know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    It's supposed to be rehabilitation so people don't commit crimes again.
    Reality is that it's a punishment, and often enough a training ground for criminals.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Reality is that it's a punishment, and often enough a training ground for criminals.
    Strangely this seems to apply exclusively to the United States and countries that follow its penal model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Soo, you're a one sided kind of person. The internet was a gift to help them educate and get ready, it was a build of trust that have worked for quite a while until this..
    Yeah until their prisons started to become more diverse. U.S. would have a much lower crime rate too if it was mostly white. Black people make up 13% of the population compared to whites at 72% yet commit 6x as much crime. I'll probably get an infraction for saying that but stats back it up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race..._United_States
    "I have friends, many friends. I have friends in China, India, Russia." "I will make deals, lots of deals. I'm good at making deals. Deals, deals, deals."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    Yeah until their prisons started to become more diverse. U.S. would have a much lower crime rate too if it was mostly white. Black people make up 13% of the population compared to whites at 72% yet commit 6x as much crime. I'll probably get an infraction for saying that but stats back it up.

And? There no less American because they are black.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity91 View Post
    You sure you're not from Murcia? Because you think alike.

What do known criminals do when they can't get a job? Come on, even toddlers would know the answer.
    The sad reality is, some people don’t want to be gainfully employed.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    And? There no less American because they are black.
    never mind that blacks and other minorities are more harshly punished than whites are for the same crime. oh wait that part always shits on the "race realists" argument so they ignore it completely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post

Not accounting for socio-economic status makes those statistics effectively worthless.

Re-offending within 5 years in the US is around 70%, in Denmark it's 27%.

If the goal is to stop people committing crimes the Danish system is nearly 3 times as effective as the American one (obviously an incredibly basic analysis).

It isn't about them it's about us, they are supposed to function and not relapse when they go back out. Norway has good track record on this, a safer community is more important than making them suffer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    care cup is empty. they made their choice now they live with it. america does it right. punish them.
    yeah punish them. Put them in a Cage 23hours a Day for Years and release them Mentally fucked up so they go and commit the next Crime.

If America showed the World one thing. Its their System is the biggest pile of Shit and will never work

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post

Cheers
    The sad reality is that American doesn’t want to rehabilitate people in a lot of places so the private prisons can make money off people coming back in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    never mind that blacks and other minorities are more harshly punished than whites are for the same crime. oh wait that part always shits on the "race realists" argument so they ignore it completely.
    Well even if you wanted to ignore that they would also have to argue why people reoffend you can’t just say the negros are set in there ways as American had no problem changing there ways in the past.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2018-07-10 at 05:46 PM.

Deleted
    Well, it is one of those things that we unfortunately still have a great belief in, that we can deprive and "starve" people into obedience and self reflection to change their ways. Problem is it doesn't work particularly well, mostly because often times we're talking people whose lives were already miserable for a variation of reasons and adding onto that pile doesn't exactly change their perspective.

It is exceptionally hard to "beat" a human into a new way of life.

Deleted
    That's why I hate Nordic prisons. It's not even a punishment going there.

Criminals live better lives than poor people living on the street.
    Well, if the recidivism rates seem lower, why not go with it? If you treat people like animals, they'll behave like animals.
    The point of the punishment, provided that it isn't for life, is to produce a person who'll function in normal society.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post

Cheers
    Keyword being some.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    It isn't about them it's about us, they are supposed to function and not relapse when they go back out. Norway has good track record on this, a safer community is more important than making them suffer.
    If 'safer community' was the primary objective, all inmates who are foreign citizens/dual citizens would be immediately deported and stripped off their citizenship and added to the permanent persona-non-grata list.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    If 'safer community' was the primary objective, all inmates who are foreign citizens/dual citizens would be immediately deported and stripped off their citizenship and added to the permanent persona-non-grata list.
    In that case, you should strip all criminals of citizenship and deport them. Or are you saying that somehow "foreign citizens" (what a term, that) make communities less safe, but "domestic citizens" who broke the law do not?

Anyway, prison in general has several functions. One of them is protection of the public from dangerous elements (like violent criminals, for example). Another would be deterrence (don't commit crimes or you'll go to prison). In either case, the ultimate goal is rehabilitation where possible. And most studies so far show that this works better via positive reinforcement rather than negative. Of course, it takes a lot of effort (read: time and money) to rehabilitate someone, and it doesn't always work. Many European countries, especially in Northern Europe, have chosen to invest heavily in positive reinforcement and rehabilitation. The United States, on the other hand, has come to rely on both prison labor and prison management as a significant source of profit, and so has little incentive to reduce the prison population through increased rehabilitation efforts - which in and of themselves would cost money, too. Differing philosophies, I suppose. One side sees criminals as citizens in need of special assistance, the other side sees them as an exploitable resource.