Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you wanted to get rich in Classic (legitimately) you took Herbalism and spent a few hours a week doing loops around Winterspring.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

And how much will the boost go? based on classic wow economy a boost in a dungeon for lets say onyxia attune will cost what? 20g? noone will get rich by selling boosts,people will get rich by selling items and material on AH though different knowledge right now on what to sell what to keep !

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    No because your average lowbie will have 1-10g. They're not gonna want to give you 5g to run Deadmines.
    You'd be surprised what people will pay on alts though. Take Deadmines for example, a level 15 Rogue will get everything they need until level 30 and it will keep killing mobs at a good pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    You'd be surprised what people will pay on alts though. Take Deadmines for example, a level 15 Rogue will get everything they need until level 30 and it will keep killing mobs at a good pace.
    Any rogue worth their salt wants The Butcher at 26 and Zealot Blade at 29

Quote Originally Posted by Arthor89 View Post
    Has anyone ever gotten rich by selling boosts to lowbies in classic?
    Only for gold not for real money.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthor89 View Post
    Has anyone ever gotten rich by selling boosts to lowbies in classic?
    I was actively raiding in early vanilla and never saw any sort of "boosts" or runs sold. We certainly never did. We would often take a friend of a raider for little things, for ex. taking Prot warriors to Onyxia for their Quel'Serrar quest... but never charged.

The first time I was ever aware of people paying gold for services was when the High Warlord grind started and people began paying for pocket healers in BGs.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    We sold boosts through MC, BWL, AQ40 and those who needed to finish Atiesh in Naxx and earned a nice amount of gold. I can’t recall anyone selling boosts to lowbies. Gold was very scarce in vanilla and lowbies couldn’t really afford to offer enough of gold to make it worthwhile for a lvl 60 to boost someone. There were a lot of free boosting though.

Yup i remember buying MC raidspot on my fresh dinged 60 warrior (got bracer of might!), spot cost me 100g and i was able to roll for loots with everyone else.

The only thing I could see work, that worked on our server, was tanks selling their services for UBRS/LBRS and BRM runs (for onyxia). Usually took 5-15 G per run, if lower gold they usually wanted all disenchants. Was a good income for a friend I had, he gained like 150 g on a day he just wanted to help people + a lot of enchanting materials worth a lot as well.

This only works if you're a full blue BiS / maybe some epics tank that really can spank and tank these dungeons.

Our guild also used to have 2 days per week helping people with onyxia attuenement by having warlocks teleport them in BRD, we gained a lot of gold to our guild this way and it took someone like a minute to finish that part of the quest.
    Last edited by Askyl; 2018-07-12 at 12:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only boosts we sold were MC\AQ20\BWL

By the time we were selling boosts, we could fit sometimes 10 or so essentially dead bodies (some fights they were definitely dead bodies by demand). MC we would take someone and if they were the only one of the class we would funnel all the tier gear to them. I remember many of times fully gearing out a random druid or shaman because we had no use for it. We would sell Ony kills as well, get your helmets.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

clearly op hasnt played vanilla

15g sm run?

plz letting someone press enchant (your maths) for an exclusive enchant like crusader was already 200g
    same for tailoring raid recipes

best way i earnt money during vanilla was the warlock mount quest where i could re-use my jar over and over for someone else his mount
    mind you this was a 500g a person service

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by osmo View Post
    clearly op hasnt played vanilla

15g sm run?

plz letting someone press enchant (your maths) for an exclusive enchant like crusader was already 200g
    same for tailoring raid recipes

best way i earnt money during vanilla was the warlock mount quest where i could re-use my jar over and over for someone else his mount
    mind you this was a 500g a person service
    I actually have started in 27.5.2005 as a warrior was pretty much a noob through whole vanilla never progressed past 5 mans, crusader was 120g with enchanters own mats in our server mazrigos EU. + played various classic private servers over the years feenix/emerald dream/nostalrius/kronos.
    Last edited by mmocc2c6d2cfbf; 2018-07-12 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by osmo View Post
    Woooow 200g crusaders with your own mats?? We have lived different gaming experience lol
    Even the 120g from the fellow over me is insane. I have never paid more than 10g for crusaders. I gave 5g for the gesture to the guy who crafted me the Lion's Heart helm and the Titanic legplates because he was doing it for free (with my mats).
    I really don't how it works nowadays on retail, or even on private servers, but honestly I remember having AN enchanter and A blacksmith for my needs. Getting to know them and bounding with them (like you do with your butcher). So it may have helped lowering the prices, even though I don't remember hearing about such rates for crafts in Vanilla on my server.

On the subject, there was boosts for MC/BWL and to a lesser extent, for ZG/AQ20. Top guilds could afford taking with them several guys and still steamroll through it. It provided good income in prevision for TBC. But I do think it's in TBC that boosts really became a thing. There were far more boosts in TBC than in Vanilla.
    Last edited by Healasouhait; 2018-07-12 at 07:19 PM.

There was a prot paladin named Hobbs (Human) who swears he made good money doing boost runs.

Check him out - His stuff is still on YouTube - "WoW Hobbs"

Sold a geared field marshal warlock with 8/8 T1 and T2 account just over 5k USD.

Majority of most powerful twink items - or items in general - in Vanilla was BoE. If you wanted these items for gold - you just went to AH. No need for boosts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

I made money by being a decent healer (holy priest) and selling unlocks for UBRS runs as I had the key. So i'd see a group / people looking to pay someone for an unlock.. .get in and often get asked to stay and heal and they would pay more. Of course this doesn't last long term as more people get the key. Tip roll dwarf priest if alliance ..only way they get fearward

Then there was a mage i charged for heals.... since he wanted to charge for mage water >.>
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

In Deus Vox we would either sell runs through AQ40 for other guilds who wanted to complete the Atiesh qusetline for 1k gold to guilds. This would also include the quest item from killing C'thun. After the run we frequently recruited the staff holder if they were a good player. It was tough to recruit players at times in Vanilla and this was an easy one.

I advise you to view this service mmonster.eu

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrifid View Post
    And how much will the boost go? based on classic wow economy a boost in a dungeon for lets say onyxia attune will cost what? 20g? noone will get rich by selling boosts,people will get rich by selling items and material on AH though different knowledge right now on what to sell what to keep !
    I advise you to view this service mmonster.eu

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlack View Post
    I remember buying a run to MC with the top guild on my server when I was a fresh dinged 60 (had a lot of gold from playing AH). Raiding wasn't yet commonplace and I was afraid of messing up, so I paid my way to some rogue gear.

I ended up joining that guild and raiding with them funnily enough. But yes, I remember quite a few guild running boosts for money in raids where people would pay a base amount to enter and then bid on items if the other being boosted wanted the item as well (obviously the guild would not really need anything from these raids by that point except for bindings etc-).
    Gah, this makes me think (not what you're talking about, something different) of the monstrosity of GDKP runs. Pay in gold from every person joining the raid and bid to get items. It makes me shudder even today.

Here's a 2010 article on it: https://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/...un-and-profit/

Having played several toons to 60 in vanilla I can say that all of my gold went to riding skill and buying various mats/consumables.

There was no gold for boosting a low level. It was pretty pointless to do that. A level 60 can still die in deadmines.