Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is this Ghosting, Motion Blur or something else?

I've just bought a 144hz Acer Predator Z321QU monitor and I'm noticing some really horrible effects in movies and videos (but not in games) and I don't know how to define it. Objects moving quickly look like they are vibrating or shaking, and camera panning looks rough and choppy. I do also get after-images of my mouse pointer when moving it quickly.

I get this in Youtube videos as well as movies, but seemingly not in games.

I've tried the UFO tests and while the monitor does seem to have minor ghosting the motion itself is still smooth, not like the videos. The UFO test looks more like a faint smear while the videos look like duplicated images. I've also tried various Overdrive settings and there's no discernable difference whether it's on or off, though the Extreme setting actually seems to make it worse.

I don't have alot of experience with monitors so I can't identify "ghosting" or motion blur when I see it. Here is a video and some screenshots I took with my phone as an example - watch the spaceships as they go by, it's like they're flashing and in 3 places at once (watch in slow motion to see it better):

As you can see in the video and screenshots there are after-images and even sometimes 'before-images' as well. Is this ghosting? Motion Blur? Or just poor quality videos?

I've never noticed it in games, which are perfectly smooth to my eye. It's only apparent if I take a photo while quickly spinning the screen, but in that situation I'm not sure it's the same issue.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2018-07-12 at 11:43 AM.

Have you tried watching one of these videos on another monitor?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Have you tried watching one of these videos on another monitor?
    I only have my old monitor (an old 60hz TV) and it also has the same problem though quite not as severe, but that could be simply due to the quality of the new monitor making it more apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I only have my old monitor (an old 60hz TV) and it also has the same problem though quite not as severe, but that could be simply due to the quality of the new monitor making it more apparent.
    Post as video for us to watch. If it doesn't fuck up for someone else, the problem isn't your new monitor, it's something else in your computer (probably the graphics card).
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Post as video for us to watch. If it doesn't fuck up for someone else, the problem isn't your new monitor, it's something else in your computer (probably the graphics card).
    There is a video though.
    EDIT: have you tried turning off g-sync/free-sync?
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

I just tested the The Fermi Paradox — Where Are All The Aliens? (1/2) on my acer predator xb271hu and LG OLED55B7V and the space ships does the same thing on both my Acer and LG as it does on yours.

But i don't have any problems on any other videos. Have you tried getting some pre-made calibrations for the monitor?. As i don't know if its the TN or IPS version you have, i can't post links to you. But just google it.

And remember that most gaming monitors are shit to watch movies on
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2018-07-11 at 09:08 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    I've just bought a 144hz Acer Predator monitor and I'm noticing some really horrible effects in movies and videos (but not in games) and I don't know how to define it. Objects moving quickly look like they are vibrating or shaking, and camera panning looks rough and choppy. I do also get after-images of my mouse pointer when moving it quickly.

As you can see in the video and screenshots there are after-images and even sometimes 'before-images' as well. Is this ghosting? Motion Blur? Or just poor quality videos?

I've never noticed it in games, which are perfectly smooth to my eye. It's only apparent if I take a photo while quickly spinning the screen, but in that situation I'm not sure it's the same issue.
    This is ghosting+motion blur, you can test the blur with ufo test: https://www.testufo.com/framerates#c...d=none&pps=120
    ghosting test: https://www.testufo.com/ghosting#bac....png&pursuit=1

For games most likely there is a different setting on the monitor that gets enabled (LMB - Low Motion Blur), what is the EXACT model?
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    This is ghosting+motion blur, you can test the blur with ufo test: https://www.testufo.com/framerates#c...d=none&pps=120
    ghosting test: https://www.testufo.com/ghosting#bac....png&pursuit=1

For games most likely there is a different setting on the monitor that gets enabled (LMB - Low Motion Blur), what is the EXACT model?
    Acer Predator Z321QU

The blur test shows no visible problems at all, the ghosting test has a slight dark after-image, but it's nowhere near as bad as in the videos.

What exactly is the difference between ghosting and motion blur?
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2018-07-12 at 11:48 AM.

Deleted
    Well since you see this with still images (paused videos) it's clearly not monitor related - those artifacts were caused by the way the videos were generated (often the result of converting interlaced TV feeds to progressive videos on computers).

The choppiness might occur due to frame rate adaptation, i.e if the display refresh rate is not a multiple of the video refresh rate you'll get to the situation where frame A is repeated twice while frame B is repeated three times, making smooth movements choppy.
    This can also occur during the conversion of the original feed to the video (e.g. converting a 24fps movie to 30fps by simply repeating every 4th frame once, causing any motion to briefly stop for a frame)
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2018-07-12 at 12:14 PM.

Had something very similar (dare I say, exactly the same) and it turned out to be the videocable from my monitor

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    Well since you see this with still images (paused videos) it's clearly not monitor related - those artifacts were caused by the way the videos were generated (often the result of converting interlaced TV feeds to progressive videos on computers).
    The images are all recorded from my phone. Pausing the videos doesn't reveal any artifacts.

The choppiness might occur due to frame rate adaptation, i.e if the display refresh rate is not a multiple of the video refresh rate you'll get to the situation where frame A is repeated twice while frame B is repeated three times, making smooth movements choppy.
    This can also occur during the conversion of the original feed to the video (e.g. converting a 24fps movie to 30fps by simply repeating every 4th frame once, causing any motion to briefly stop for a frame)
    I've tried every refresh rate available, it doesn't seem to many any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Had something very similar (dare I say, exactly the same) and it turned out to be the videocable from my monitor
    What did you do, just replace the cable with a shielded one?

10+ Year Old Account

He obviously took photos.

Acer Predator Z321QU

The blur test shows no visible problems at all, the ghosting test has a slight dark after-image, but it's nowhere near as bad as in the videos.

What exactly is the difference between ghosting and motion blur?
    You can read more here https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

Make sure your desktop is really running at 144Hz

It might be that you need to turn off ULMB and try watching videos then, can't find that monitors menu, so look for it yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

The images are all recorded from my phone. Pausing the videos doesn't reveal any artifacts.

I've tried every refresh rate available, it doesn't seem to many any difference.

Are you using display port? Trying different cable is a good idea.

He obviously took photos.

You can read more here https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

Make sure your desktop is really running at 144Hz

It might be that you need to turn off ULMB and try watching videos then, can't find that monitors menu, so look for it yourself.

Are you using display port? Trying different cable is a good idea.
    Yep definitely running at 144Hz, but there is no option for ULMB in the settings.

I'm using the DP cable that came with the monitor, it also has the same issues over HDMI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep definitely running at 144Hz, but there is no option for ULMB in the settings.

I'm using the DP cable that came with the monitor, it also has the same issues over HDMI.
    It might be called 'fast mode' or something, what are the options?

It might be called 'fast mode' or something, what are the options?
    It's got nothing like that at all. The entire Menu is:

PICTURE:
    Brightness
    Contrast
    Blue Light
    Dark Boost
    Adaptive Contrast

COLOR:
    Gamma
    Color Temp
    Saturation
    6-Axis Color

AUDIO:
    Volume

GAMING:
    Over Drive
    OverClock
    Apply & Reboot
    Aim Point

OSD:
    Language
    OSD Timeout
    Transparency
    Refresh Rate Counter

SYSTEM:
    Input
    Ambient Light
    Hot Key Assignment
    Wide Mode
    Deep Sleep
    Quick Stat Mode
    Power-Off USB Charge

10+ Year Old Account
    It's got nothing like that at all. The entire Menu is:

PICTURE:

Blue Light

GAMING:
    Over Drive
    OverClock
    These three, what they set to?

These three, what they set to?
    Blue Light - Off
    Overdrive - Normal
    Overclock - Off

Setting Overdrive to Extreme makes it noticably worse. On/Off doesn't seem to make any difference outside of the UFO tests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blue Light - Off
    Overdrive - Normal
    Overclock - Off

Setting Overdrive to Extreme makes it noticably worse. On/Off doesn't seem to make any difference outside of the UFO tests.
    Ugh, have no idea then, really, might be something with your PC rather than the monitor itself, tried different video players?

No the cable was old - seem to be broke in the cable itself. So I just got a new one. So it connected and showed images as you see them but not proper

Do you have 3d turned on? That is not ghosting or blur. 3d makes shit look weird without glasses most 144hz support that. I have apg278q asus 1440p 144hz 1ms and using to long of a cable messed things up