Deleted

Spell school lock discussion

As we all know currently interrupting a spell will lock the caster out of that school for x seconds. Naturally this is a strong anti caster mechanic due to originally all casters had no almost no cds on spells and instead only had mana pools.

The game has changed over the years and blizz adjusted this system slightly introducing double schools for some spells allowing you leeway with it like mindspike being shadowfrost so it did not silence shadow school, but on the other hand big dmg like chaos bolts were locked out of everything (confirmation needed).

Again as time has gone on classes have saw more changes where you are now almost entirely 1 spell school, a fire mage toolkit is 99% fire, shadow is 99% shadow etc etc

Here is where the problem comes in, these interrupts now act as effective silences on 10-15 second cd's, imagine as a melee if casters had 10-15 sec cd disarm.
    Now normally i would advicate evening the field a bit with giving disarms to range etc but why not reevaluate the actual problem instead? So here is my suggestion:

Rather than an interrupt locking you out of the ENTIRE school, it puts the interrupted spell on a lockout of its own.

With this you actually make interrupting spells a decision, do i interrupt their heal and let them dmg or vice versa, because right now it's just il try to interrupt anything on cd because it makes them completely useless for the duration.

Discuss

You can juke/fake-cast an interrupt, or bait interrupts in one spell school so you can freecast in another. You can't juke a disarm (outside of things like Evasion).

There are no problems, there is no uneven playing field. A Fire mage can bait cs with Poly and then unload his full rotation with no interrupts to stop it, likewise Balance can bait cs with clone for Fullmoon->SS combo inside incarn. Not to mention that some casters have access to pvp talents that reduce CS duration.
    Last edited by Glyphtics; 2018-07-12 at 01:48 PM.
    Druid | UI | Youtube
    R1 & 14x Glad PvPer
    Honestly US 2nd / Ally World 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Glyphtics View Post
    You can juke/fake-cast an interrupt, or bait interrupts in one spell school so you can freecast in another. You can't juke a disarm.

There are no problems, there is no uneven playing field.
    Legion has been fairly melee dominated, so that's not really true. Dunno if it's because of what OP proposes, but the playing field is uneven.

It's good that caster is punished for getting interupted. What you want? All castera with 3-4 schools so interupts will play very small role in pvp?

Don't even try to compare melees with casters. Casters are harder to play (with some exceptions) than melees since ages.

Every some time i see on wow forums or mmo-champion someone saying "casters are unplayble, casters are bad and melees are op" Melees are just easier. After reading all that crying i can still see caster cleaves pressing 1 2 3 mid arena with rshaman spam healing at 40yd that you an't even reach because your healer will eat spamable CCs.

Actually multiple spell schools should me limited to just 2! I am talking about ele shaman here that not only have 3 spell schools but with amout of instant lava burst it's just too easy caster.

Yes there are casters that are punished on interupts but rly most casters have multiple spell schools. Like if you got interupted as SP you can still Shield yourself/ally or mass dispell to clear some buffs from enemy team. You got interupted as fire mage? Spam poly.

It's been always this way that casters are punished when interupted and melees are punished for overextending because it's normal that casters bait them into open-field to zug zug 1 2 3 pve rotation on them.

And no i am not playing melees I am always players healers in MCH compositons and i find caster teams more retarded than melee teams. And about casual pvp on bgs casters are more than awesome and i am playing bgs as casters only, never malees that are exposed on 1 2 3 combos.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Legion has been fairly melee dominated, so that's not really true. Dunno if it's because of what OP proposes, but the playing field is uneven.
    Dominated in what regard? Arenamate shows its pretty balanced, if anything there are more ranged dominating arenas than melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyphtics View Post
    You can juke/fake-cast an interrupt, or bait interrupts in one spell school so you can freecast in another. You can't juke a disarm (outside of things like Evasion).

There are no problems, there is no uneven playing field. A Fire mage can bait cs with Poly and then unload his full rotation with no interrupts to stop it, likewise Balance can bait cs with clone for Fullmoon->SS combo inside incarn. Not to mention that some casters have access to pvp talents that reduce CS duration.
    Is it balanced tho?

Melee
    Stuns = No damage for duration
    Roots = less damage for duration (due to every melee seemingly being a ranged now), can be dispelled / mitigated most of the time
    Disarms = lower damage for duration

Casters
    Stuns = No casting
    Silences = no casting (tho i guess you could wand or melee? does healers no good tho)
    Interrupts = no casting (fine you can juke these if you have a situation where you don't have to cast and have few attackers)

Edit: Seemed not worth mentioning slows - melee mobility seems to be balanced around chasing a hyper active monk, which is fine for monks sucks for all other casters.

Mobility creep is the issue, not silence or spell lock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Mobility creep is the issue, not silence or spell lock.
    I only partly agree with this. The mobility creep is a issue for sure, and it definitely compounds the issue of spell locks for sure but it's not "the issue". I see the problem being is spell lock out is a mechanic made and balanced around the facts of times past and just never been updated to the many changes that has happened since than (everyone having them now, spell pruning, etc).

The idea in the OP is one I heard a lot and isn't a bad idea and has room for other changes that might need to be done (lock out duration for example). Though I think the most simplest solution though is to just have it DR with silences and make other adjustments to things from that point as needed.
    Pokemon Shield
    FC: SW-6999-1982-1088
    Name: Awesome
    Always ready to battle!

ชัดเจนมาก:d