Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Officials admit they may have separated family who might be US citizens for a year

Officials admit they may have separated family – who might be US citizens – for up to a year

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/..._reddit_is_fun

The Department of Justice told a federal judge Tuesday that it may have mistakenly separated a father and toddler who could both be US citizens for as long as a year, in the process of enforcing the Trump administration zero-tolerance immigration policy.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) called the revelation “horrific” and blamed the administration’s poor execution of the practice of family separations.

“The fact that a citizen got caught up in this mess shows just how poor the government’s record-keeping was, and this is just the latest example,” said Lee Gelernt, the deputy director of the ACLU’s Immigrants’ Rights Project.

On 26 June, in a suit filed by the ACLU against the government over the separation of families at the southern border, federal judge Dana Sabraw granted a preliminary injunction requiring the reunification of children under the age of five by 10 July.

In a hearing on Tuesday, just before the deadline, the DoJ was asked to account for each failed reunification of the 102 younger children in its care. It noted 27 cases where it found reunification was not currently feasible, including one “because the parent’s location has been unknown for more than a year … and records show the parent and child might be US citizens.”

Previously the DoJ had only revealed that the child’s father could not be located. The ACLU and the court were only made aware that both father and child might be US citizens on Tuesday.

“It actually happens much more frequently than you would believe,” Gelernt said. “They [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] make mistakes.”

In total the DoJ said it expected to have 38 children under five reunified by Tuesday’s 10pm PT deadline, 16 “soon thereafter” and another 20 depending on a number of conditions including whether or not parents can be located, and “if those parents request reunification”.

In Tuesday’s hearing, Judge Sabraw said that the families were improperly separated and that he would not extend the deadline, meaning that the government is technically in violation of the court order as of Tuesday night. “These are firm deadlines. They’re not aspirational goals,” Sabraw said.

The complications the government has run into complying with Sabraw’s order foretell a troubled road ahead. Children under five represent just 5% of the 2,000 to 3,000 – the government has admitted it does not have an exact figure – who have been separated from their parents in recent months. Sabraw’s injunction requires the remaining 1,900 be reunified by 26 June.

The identity of the children and parents as provided to the judge by the government under court order are currently shielded by law.

The Legal Aid Society in New York said it is representing at least two of the separated children under five.

One boy, from El Salvador, was due to be released to his mother, according to Beth Krause, the supervising attorney of Legal Aid’s Immigrant Youth Project.

“I have no details about where, when, under what conditions,” she wrote in an email on Tuesday morning. The other boy, from Honduras, would remain with a foster family while the father remained in government custody, although it was not clear to her why.

“I know very, very little about this case,” she said. “It’s all very frustrating.”

The revelation comes on the same day that the Trump administration announced it would be implementing an ankle monitor system to track migrant families – a decision that was forced by Sabraw’s injunction and another federal court decision that came down on Monday.

After Trump signed an executive order ending his administration’s family separation policy in June, agencies had planned to detain families and children together until the parents’ immigration proceedings were complete, a process that can take months. That proposal ran afoul of the decades-old Flores v Reno settlement, which stipulates that migrant children cannot be held in detention for more than 20 days.

On Monday, another federal judge in California rejected a DoJ request to allow the long-term detention of migrant children, meaning that they could no longer separate families or hold them together in detention without running afoul of the federal courts.

Reuters contributed to this story

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like the government did the kid a favor considering the guy made no effort to get them back for an entire year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Sounds like the government did the kid a favor considering the guy made no effort to get them back for an entire year.
    And you know this how (links please)? If U.S immigration is anything like the U.K they aren't best known for having their fingers on the pulse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    And you know this how (links please)? If U.S immigration is anything like the U.K they aren't best known for having their fingers on the pulse.
    Well just from reading the article linked above:

The father:
    - Made no fuss to the media, literally one phone call to any mainstream media outlet and this would have been front page news (assuming he was actually a citizen) and resolved quite literally instantly.
    - Exited government custody and proceeded to disappear, leaving no contact/forwarding information, sounds a lot like something an illegal immigrant who doesn't want to be found and deported would do.
    - Has, for "as long as a year" made no effort to be reunited with "his" kid... As the article points out, this isn't a case of the government trying to keep the kid away from him, the government has tried/is trying to reunite them per court order and the guy has simply vanished from their radar and made no effort to get the kid back. I say "his" in quotes since it doesn't even seem like its his kid, his actions indicate, to me at least, that he couldn't care less about the kid.

Really.......

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    It's disgusting that we're upset about not putting children into concentration camps with their parents on schedule. There shouldn't be any concentration camps period. Welcome to the USA, ladies and gentlemen.

Well just from reading the article linked above:

The father:
    - Made no fuss to the media, literally one phone call to any mainstream media outlet and this would have been front page news (assuming he was actually a citizen) and resolved quite literally instantly.
    - Exited government custody and proceeded to disappear, leaving no contact/forwarding information, sounds a lot like something an illegal immigrant who doesn't want to be found and deported would do.
    - Has, for "as long as a year" made no effort to be reunited with "his" kid... As the article points out, this isn't a case of the government trying to keep the kid away from him, the government has tried/is trying to reunite them per court order and the guy has simply vanished from their radar and made no effort to get the kid back. I say "his" in quotes since it doesn't even seem like its his kid, his actions indicate, to me at least, that he couldn't care less about the kid.
    Sounds like the conservative ideal. Bow to authority, do not question do not fight do not protest do not seek coverage.

You should be giving this guy a parade.

The question is where was he released from US custody. There appears to be some question if the father got "deported" even though he was a us citizen and if that happened is the parent still alive?

https://qz.com/1326207/us-immigratio...ce-since-2015/

Don't worry, guys. House Republicans take their oversight duties very seriously. Except for DHS, then they won't even hold hearings because oversight is apparently something that's selectively engaged in.

10+ Year Old Account
    They may have separated a family who might have been US citizens?

I can't even.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

I think you're reading it wrong, though the article is pretty sparse on the details. Zero tolerance is - I think - something that started less than a year ago. Though maybe there were pilot programs? I forget.

Point is, I'm pretty sure the article is saying that the father and child may have been citizens for a year, not that they've been separated for a year.
    A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

The Trump administration, constantly trying to get that D-, but still struggling to be even that good.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    It's disgusting that we're upset about not putting children into concentration camps with their parents on schedule. There shouldn't be any concentration camps period. Welcome to the USA, ladies and gentlemen.
    Yeah...I was saying the US is now 1936 Germany. Now it's more like 1938 Germany. Getting there!

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Yeah...I was saying the US is now 1936 Germany. Now it's more like 1938 Germany. Getting there!
    I wasn't referring to Germany so much as America during WW2. You know, with Japanese and German Americans being put into camps?

10+ Year Old Account
    You could be the guy who says the kids were better on in the camps...

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You could be the guy who says the kids were better on in the camps...
    Except I'm not? I think sending them there is a travesty. We're putting families in concentration camps. None of them should be there at all. The solution to 'They weren't in good conditions' before this was IMPROVE THE CONDITIONS, not ship them into the weird fenced in prisons their families were already in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    The Trump administration, constantly trying to get that D-, but still struggling to be even that good.
    He could have literally spent his 4 years on a golf course and earned C because got the Republicans some SCOTUS seats.

- - - Updated - - -

Except I'm not? I think sending them there is a travesty. We're putting families in concentration camps. None of them should be there at all. The solution to 'They weren't in good conditions' before this was IMPROVE THE CONDITIONS, not ship them into the weird fenced in prisons their families were already in.
    I didnt say you were..I was agreeing with you. Tone doesn't always translate well over the Internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    He could have literally spent his 4 years on a golf course and earned C because got the Republicans some SCOTUS seats.

- - - Updated - - -

I didnt say you were..I was agreeing with you. Tone doesn't always translate well over the Internet.
    My apologies. I guess I didn't quite pick it up. Even re-reading it I'm not sure, but I'll take your words for it!

Also, your Alex Jones avatar makes me laugh. He looks so serious... what goofball.

10+ Year Old Account
    My apologies. I guess I didn't quite pick it up. Even re-reading it I'm not sure, but I'll take your words for it!
    You have to read it with a heavy dose of sarcasm.
    But no worries, @cubby calls me a Trump supporter every other month.

One immigrant commits one crime, "ONE TOO MANY! NEVER WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF WE WEREN'T SO LAX ON IMMIGRATION! BUILD THE WALL! BAN THEM ALL!"

One American family ruined by the immigration policy, "Well you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, right? And hey, maybe that family deserved it. And if they didn't, maybe this is fake news."