Poll: What do you think about addons in classic?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pinelakias View Post
    Nothing you can do. As far as I'm aware, there are already addons that didn't exist in vanilla. If I remember correctly, there are addons group finder... And hey, if you dont like them, dont download them. Its not that hard...
    It is like saying "if you like vanilla, then don't pass level 60. not that hard...".

Quote Originally Posted by RadiationWoW View Post
    I'm starting to worry that addons will ruin some of the classic experience... maybe not at launch, but later when new addons are developed, such as weakauras or a better DBM addon. This sounds a bit purist, but I really hope they find a way to limit addons so we don't get any "unfair" advantages. Imho vanilla is best played without all those complex timers and indicators. Also there has been group finder addons for vanilla pservers already and I seriously don't want them to become the norm.

So I wanted to ask, what do you guys think?

EDIT : I have no problem with normal addons like actionbars etc etc. Just the new stuff I'm worried about.
    You do realize that Classic fights weren't even remotely hard and those addons won't really provide much.

Of course it will affect my gameplay. Think about it. Normally you see groups in chat looking for people and if you see a group you're interested in you send that grp a whisper to ask if you can join, that's already 1 interaction with an another player which in my opinion further helps with additional communication in the dungeon because you already had to say something even if it was very little.

Now if you join with an addon which just looks up chat messages (this actually exists) and tells you what dungeon they're about to do and what they need and all you need to do is to click a button which will then send the grp leader a whisper and voila! All done.

Ofc it's impossible for me to know if these addons would ever ruin the dungeon/raid communication, but I still fear for the worst. This basically happened on retail after LFD.
    It really, really sounds like you're making a mountain out of a mole-hill. The scenario you used in the quote is literally the smallest problem imaginable, and I can't quite imagine why something like that would bother a person. You're acting like an addon has the potential to ruin the game. I don't understand the need for the drama.

Just don't use addons if you don't like them.

Deleted
    Of course it will affect my gameplay. Think about it. Normally you see groups in chat looking for people and if you see a group you're interested in you send that grp a whisper to ask if you can join, that's already 1 interaction with an another player which in my opinion further helps with additional communication in the dungeon because you already had to say something even if it was very little.
    lol you are really hilarious by beliving people can be FORCED to talk to each other! reality here: you cant!

and then dont play classic cause addons will be thing, especially for groupfinding cause the original groupfinding in classsic was HORRIBLE.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    NO ONE SHOULD USE THINGS THAT I DON'T LIKE!

You sound like Garrosh.

Personal knowledge about the fight isn't a same thing as an addon telling you exactly when to dispell someone or when to move somewhere. Naxx has lots of tacs that could be way easier with a proper timer addon.

- - - Updated - - -

I know there were addons, but I mean addons like weakwauras which is really flexible to do almost anything. Also I've seen group finder addons being developed for vanilla(pservers).
    decursive didn't tell you when to dispel someone, you just spammed it and it dispelled people, it was more powerful than any addon allowed today and it's not close

you're not educated enough about vanilla wow to really comment on things like this, you're just talking out of your ass

Quote Originally Posted by wysimdnwyg View Post
    In a year running MC, I don't know that I ever once actually healed anyone. It was all about decursing.
    I have a friend whose only job it was to stay out of combat and rezz fallen adventurers. After the fix that put everyone in combat his job was to keep a 5 minute buff on everyone. I have no idea how he didn't die from boredom.

On topic: addons are good. Standard-UI is unbelievably bad in showing you buffs and debuffs. But I understand Blizzard, why pay for UI programming when your fanbase does it better anyway. Blizzard would have to provide a solution that almost everybody likes which is just impossible.
    Last edited by Twdft; 2018-09-18 at 04:42 PM.

Pretty sure knowing more than we did when it was new and far more resources like wowhead and YouTube guides being way more prevalent will have a far larger impact on things than addons will.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

One addon that seems to have a potential of COMPLETELY ruining Classic experience for BOTH players using and not using it is called pfQuest - and obviously any other addon that works the exact same way.

Right now this addon contains a COMPLETE database of ALL objects in Vanilla. Objects = anything that can be interacted with, including monsters, quest items, herbs etc. It shows the exact spawn locations of EVERYTHING, together with spawn timers, droprates, monster level ranges etc. It is vastly superior to questing support that modern version of wow provides. A single player with this addon can completely take over any farming area while competing with people without this addon - simply moving from spawn point to spawn point instantly tagging any spawned mob because he has exact data about locations and times of spawns. In the same way he can gather any quest items on the ground by simply moving from dot to dot - and with significant amount of such players it is guaranteed that no player without addon will EVER get a single of such quest items - he won't be able to find even a single of them, as they all will be picked up immediately after spawning. I could go on and on, but I think you get my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Then don't use them. WTF.
    If everyone is using a group finder add on and OP wants the good ‘ol LFM in chat experiance they aren’t goig to get it. An add on can still potentially have an impact on someone’s experiance even if they don’t use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    lol you are really hilarious by beliving people can be FORCED to talk to each other! reality here: you cant!

and then dont play classic cause addons will be thing, especially for groupfinding cause the original groupfinding in classsic was HORRIBLE.
    Such addons depend on everybody having such addon.

While you and your friends might install it, you are going to be trapped on small server between casuals who won't even know such addon exists and purists who won't use it just because. You won't be able to fill any group in reasonable time. You will have to use world channels regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I had a friend whose only job it was to stay out of combat and rezz fallen adventurers. After the fix that put everyone in combat his job was to keep a 5 minute buff on everyone. I have no idea how he didn't die from boredom.

On topic: addons are good. Standard-UI is unbelievably bad in showing you buffs and debuffs. But I understand Blizzard, why pay for UI programming when your fanbase does it better anyway. Blizzard would have to provide a solution that almost everybody likes which is just impossible.
    Just read that and realized I didn't specify that I didn't heal on Lucifron. Of course I healed during the rest of the raid.

It amazes me that people don't know / don't remember there was a group finder addon in Vanilla.

It was called "Call to Arms".

Where do you think they got the name for the bonus loot from the group finder that is in game today? (other than the WoW music, obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by wysimdnwyg View Post
    The thing with Decursive is not only did it cleanse whoever was afflicted with a debuff, it let you know when there was someone you could cleanse. So on my Priest, it told me when someone had a magic or disease debuff, but ignored it when it was a curse or poison. And yeah, standing around for an entire boss fight spamming one button was boring as hell, but that was the game we played. In a year running MC, I don't know that I ever once actually healed anyone. It was all about decursing.

Edit:
    Oi!!! Yeah, I never healed - on Lucifron. Of course I healed during the rest of the raid.
    Plenty of raid frames today show debuffs for you to dispel. They do not need Classic's OP functionality.

Addons were a part of vanilla, the current game, and likely will be in classic. We can sit around and talk about how addons have gotten better but so has knowledge. So has communication. So has the ability to get informed. Not to mention just YOU know things. So the game will never go back to how it was for a LOT of reasons. All you can do is this and it works for everyone. If you don't want to use certain addons then don't install them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    Plenty of raid frames today show debuffs for you to dispel. They do not need Classic's OP functionality.
    No doubt. But you have to admit, no matter how good add-ons are today, there will never be anything as OP as the original Decursive. That took all of the decision making out of it. All you had to do was hit a button when it lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    If everyone is using a group finder add on and OP wants the good ‘ol LFM in chat experiance they aren’t goig to get it. An add on can still potentially have an impact on someone’s experiance even if they don’t use it.
    Yes exactly!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sopeonaroap View Post
    decursive didn't tell you when to dispel someone, you just spammed it and it dispelled people, it was more powerful than any addon allowed today and it's not close

you're not educated enough about vanilla wow to really comment on things like this, you're just talking out of your ass
    You're right I do lack the experience, but that still doesn't mean I can't be worried about stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Sure, but as I said, if the addon is not allowed, people can use third party websites if they consider that method to be better than asking for a tank for 2 hours in some city while doing nothing. So no allowing such addons is absolutely useless.

So obviously the solution is to make friends that have the same preferences like yourself and group with those people, and let the other people do their thing...

I don't think you realize/remember how not locked down the API was during vanilla. The addons in vanilla, if you had them, were vastly superior to anything that is allowed in the current version of the game. Healbot and Decursive were insanely powerful addons just to name a few. The real concern should be if the API is going to be locked down to today's standards or not.
    Last edited by Leishmania; 2018-07-13 at 03:45 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Addons are bad. Any functionality should be included in the basic UI (wow's frankly blows, btw), and the rest should be outright banned, if you really want to provide an even playfield.