Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Monk Is Just Fun

Mained a Ret Pally from MoP up until Legion, randomly decided to main a WW Monk for Legion because I kinda like playing the least played stuff and it was definitely that at the time and fell in love with it. Took a break after clearing the Nighthold Raid and recently came back to start gearing up a bit for BFA, messed around and played some other classes like Pally, Shammy, Hunter. Then I hopped back on the Monk and the rest is history, picked up Mistweaver heals as well and damn that's a lot of fun too.

Anybody else make a switch to Monk and now can't bring yourself to enjoy anything else?

Doing LFRs to get some gear for MT attempts, definitely had more fun than I expected from WW monk. I tend to tank more, though, and need to try BrM a bit to see if I like it (I like DH, DK, and Pally tanks due to selfhealing and dps and hanging on the healer dies for a bit).

Boosted mine on Legion, never played, was a rogue

Came back, bored of rogue ( can only deeps ), switched over to monk, now better geared than rogue, maining deeps, but tanking and healing way more often than doing deeps

Tanking is a lot of fun

Healing is a pain when the group is stupid

Oh god, I am not glad I was a rogue before, should've played monk from the start

I started in TBC, I mained a Prot paladin with Mage, Rogue and Hunter as alts. When WOTLK came out, I added DK and dropped mage just to a pvp alt. When I got into the MoP beta, I immediately started a monk because of Chen from WC3. That was it.

Basically dropped every other character I had except my hunter, who became my new pvp character cause I preferred range at the time for pvp. Thanks to maining my monk for so long, I can no longer play any class who has a 1.5 sec GCD, they just feel so slow. When hunters got that, my rogue was brought up as my pvp character, but I continue to do everything else on my monk and prefer it over every other class.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Monk is a class, similar to Mages, that I keep trying to re-roll to only to have the eventual "Oh yea, now I remember..." moments, and thus give up.

Coming from a long time Paladin, whose quite fatigued with the class, I enjoy Monks mobility and WW has few cool utilities.
    I despise BrM tanking (although haven't touched it in Legion) and MW healing is just "ok".

Like Mages, I love the class fantasy but the ingame experience doesn't live up to the expectations.

I'm desperately trying to commit to a main in BFA, have narrowed it down to Paladin (again ), Druid or Monk. Got the BrM mage tower to do this week, and the shines already wearing off the Monk class for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Monk is a class, similar to Mages, that I keep trying to re-roll to only to have the eventual "Oh yea, now I remember..." moments, and thus give up.

Coming from a long time Paladin, whose quite fatigued with the class, I enjoy Monks mobility and WW has few cool utilities.
    I despise BrM tanking (although haven't touched it in Legion) and MW healing is just "ok".

Like Mages, I love the class fantasy but the ingame experience doesn't live up to the expectations.

I'm desperately trying to commit to a main in BFA, have narrowed it down to Paladin (again ), Druid or Monk. Got the BrM mage tower to do this week, and the shines already wearing off the Monk class for me.
    Weirldy I'm the same. I have a 110 of all other classes but I've just never been able to gel with Monks and Mages.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

I'm a big fan of all three Monk specs, the things that bother me are the class feeling (really, Monk is probably the most boring class lorewise & feeling-wise), and the fact that the martial artist of WoW is one of the worst classes at handling fall damage. I mean, what?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quickpaw View Post
    Anybody else make a switch to Monk and now can't bring yourself to enjoy anything else?
    Monk is that one class that I absolutely dislike and cannot even get it max level. Had one at level 90 in Pandaria but that's about it.
    No particular reason as to why I don't like it.
    It's also the only class that I'm missing for completing the order hall on all classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windwalker is super fun, the only problem is I like mist so much I tend to always be doing that and never get a chance to WW.

Decided to play a Rogue at the start of legion because i just loved the fantasy of outlaw rogue- swasbuckler with pistols & shit.
    while i loved the specc (and its rng) over the time i just didnt feel like i had as much fun when playing anymore. so i went back to my Hunter. wich i played from NH till now, last month i started lvling my monk and hoboy- The monk is without doubt the most fun class i've played - ever.
    the mobility self sustain and animations are all fantastic
    if i knew this i'd probs main a monk for all of legion. And as a huge bonus they have the best Class mount & Pet <3

9/10 best class for me.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Deleted
    Mained a Ret Pally from MoP up until Legion, randomly decided to main a WW Monk for Legion because I kinda like playing the least played stuff and it was definitely that at the time and fell in love with it. Took a break after clearing the Nighthold Raid and recently came back to start gearing up a bit for BFA, messed around and played some other classes like Pally, Shammy, Hunter. Then I hopped back on the Monk and the rest is history, picked up Mistweaver heals as well and damn that's a lot of fun too.

I certainly can't think there is a chance to play anything else in BFA

Would like to see RSK number adjust for ww though, i don't think it's right that a filler spell with no cd does more damage than something that costs more and is on a 10 sec cd.

I think MW will be much more fun than the resto druid i healed with in legion.

Brewmaster will probably be interesting too for 5mans though probably will require more skill than the bear.

All in all, at least until 8.1 hits and i see what they did with shadow priest, i will be monking around in BFA

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    (really, Monk is probably the most boring class lorewise & feeling-wise)
    Dunno, being a resistance fighter in an evil empire and developing a fighting technique that isn't reliant on weapons to help slaves rebel seems more interesting than warriors picking up sticks and hitting something really hard. Or realizing that if you're skinny and can't lift a 2hander you should not be seen until you backstab someone with a knife.

If you're saying there aren't enough stories involving monks, then i agree. Have i told you the story of the hozen and the buttercream pie?

lucky you, I tried to force myself playing ww many times, I just can't. That mastery and gameplay around is so awful for me - hitting other ability every time, in essence having as many abilities as possible... jesus.
    I do however absolutely love MW... but I can't force myself play healer only, and have no likable spec to do outdoor content.
    so rolled paladin

Quote Originally Posted by zahlanzi View Post
    Dunno, being a resistance fighter in an evil empire and developing a fighting technique that isn't reliant on weapons to help slaves rebel seems more interesting than warriors picking up sticks and hitting something really hard. Or realizing that if you're skinny and can't lift a 2hander you should not be seen until you backstab someone with a knife.

If you're saying there aren't enough stories involving monks, then i agree. Have i told you the story of the hozen and the buttercream pie?
    I mean yeah, that's what lore is. Not sure what you're talking about, but being some dude who drinks a lot and is too weak to pick up weapons isn't that interesting either? Not the view I have on Monks, but with your silly rendition of Warriors and Rogues, what else can I respond with?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm having this problem when trying to play other melee dps. The times I've stopped playing Monk were due to healer burnout (still experiencing it) and/or sick of melee dps. But then when I get a hankering to play melee again, Ret feels boring and Arms and Fury feel button mashy (fun for a bit but get sick of them in a hurry). Seriously, Combo Strikes has to be one of best masteries in the game (if not the best). I am anxious to try out the Arms and Fury BfA changes but I'll probably still favor WW in the end. It's just good times and I love the visuals and lore behind the class.

Its fun, but day after day of WW doing better than BrM in the self sustain dept gets ridiculous. BrM is the epitome of needing a healbot at your side 24/7.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Weirldy I'm the same. I have a 110 of all other classes but I've just never been able to gel with Monks and Mages.
    Dont know what you talking about, but that avatar...

Quote Originally Posted by kran1um View Post
    Its fun, but day after day of WW doing better than BrM in the self sustain dept gets ridiculous. BrM is the epitome of needing a healbot at your side 24/7.

- - - Updated - - -

Dont know what you talking about, but that avatar...
    in bfa every tank will need a healer babysitting him. Soloing dungeons with blood/vengeance even at higher m+ levels are over.

WW is still a great spec. Used to be better though.

I love my Brewmaster/Mistweaver, but I just can't get warm with Windwalker.
    Good thing is, I don't like playing dps anyway. But boy, doing my daily farming really isn't fun on ww :/ I enjoy nearly every other dps more..

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    in bfa every tank will need a healer babysitting him. Soloing dungeons with blood/vengeance even at higher m+ levels are over.
    do you believe this yourself? after a certain point with high ilvl it will be the same as now ...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I mean yeah, that's what lore is. Not sure what you're talking about, but being some dude who drinks a lot and is too weak to pick up weapons isn't that interesting either? Not the view I have on Monks, but with your silly rendition of Warriors and Rogues, what else can I respond with?
    lore can be also general stories how something came to be, in this case a class. The stories about Varian Wrynn, a famous warrior, are more about Varian Wrynn who happens to be a warrior, isn't lore about warriors themselves.

Not too weak to pick up weapons, but had to learn how to fight without them out of necessity, there is a difference. Once the mogu were overthrown, they started hitting things with weapons, channeling mistweaving with staves, etc.