Poll: Would you play Classic if you unlocked unobtainable items?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Yeah. I was more thinking that you'd earn stealth achievements in Classic that only show up on your Retail accounts. So there's no Achievements button in Classic, but you can always check them on your Live character, and will get the notifications when they pop up.

Even that might be too much for you, though! Hard to say.
    It wouldn't be long until some smart amateur dev created an addon to link your retail account achievements to show in classic, or on some equivalent of raider.io at the very least. That would hugely damage Classic's environment.

Deleted
    this will break classic

people rolling on items they dont need for transmog on live servers

just sayin...

It would actually kill classic for me, since it would drive people that don't actually want to play classic into the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptych View Post
    I don't think this is a very good idea.

Throughout WoW's lifespan, there have always been complaints from players about "having to do something in PvP" just to progress a questline in PvE. Or vice versa. They moan about how much they hate a battleground, or they "go AFK" in a LFR group, and have no real desire to participate in the content. They just want some sort of reward, so they can get back to the activities that they actually enjoy.

I foresee the same thing happening here. Players who have no desire to play Classic for its own merits, because they think it's shitty / inconvenient / unbalanced, or any of the other many criticisms that are seen daily on the forums. But they come along as reluctant "tourists", to get some kind of prize for the real game. They'll claim that they're "forced" to do this.

I believe that overall it will sour the experience for many players - both the group that are only there to collect cosmetic sets, as well as the group that are playing because they enjoy/prefer the vanilla gameplay.
    bunch of supposition in my answer.

IF blizzard doesn't trivialize leveling content, leveling dungeons, time to level, etc., then I think it will filter out most of the people you worry about.

Think of bc, revered keys to run heroic. You in almost every case (unless you meticulously planned your grinding then questing for 2 factions, particularly CE) already had to have run the normal 70(s) for that faction many, many times. It was a great filter.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    bunch of supposition in my answer.

IF blizzard doesn't trivialize leveling content, leveling dungeons, time to level, etc., then I think it will filter out most of the people you worry about.

Think of bc, revered keys to run heroic. You in almost every case (unless you meticulously planned your grinding then questing for 2 factions, particularly CE) already had to have run the normal 70(s) for that faction many, many times. It was a great filter.
    I think this is right on point. Most of the players we are afraid of about influencing the direction of WoW Classic will probably not even get to max level. I saw a lot of complaining when they slowed down the leveling recently (was it in beta for BfA or a patch before BfA?) and it caused outrage in the part of playerbase that only see end-game content as the real game and the rest as a hurdle to get to it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    this will break classic

just sayin...
    Not to mention on how prices on the AH would skyrocket, especially if Blizz allows tokens. Which I'm (sadly) certain they will at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nheme View Post
    I think this is right on point. Most of the players we are afraid of about influencing the direction of WoW Classic will probably not even get to max level. I saw a lot of complaining when they slowed down the leveling recently (was it in beta for BfA or a patch before BfA?) and it caused outrage in the part of playerbase that only see end-game content as the real game and the rest as a hurdle to get to it.
    so something to worry about - some pre-purchase gimmick like the wod prepurchase that includes a retail 'boost' and a classic 'boost' in appropriate gear to jump right into MC.

in other words, what you and I see as a good filter mechanism blizzard may see as a problem.

how much was the intent in slowing down leveling to increase player demand for instantmaxtoon paid service? did it increase said paid service sales?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Not to mention on how prices on the AH would skyrocket, especially if Blizz allows tokens. Which I'm (sadly) certain they will at some point.
    well it is the modern engine, so the players may demand some kind of auto-pilot game thing like garrisons or whatever they are now where you get free stuff daily.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-07-13 at 06:08 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    It wouldn't be long until some smart amateur dev created an addon to link your retail account achievements to show in classic, or on some equivalent of raider.io at the very least. That would hugely damage Classic's environment.
    Only for people who download the add-on, which would be a voluntary and unneeded aspect of the game. You can't claim the environment will be damaged by add-on makers, because there were and always will be add-ons and mods.

5+ Year Old Account
    Only for people who download the add-on, which would be a voluntary and unneeded aspect of the game. You can't claim the environment will be damaged by add-on makers, because there were and always will be add-ons and mods.
    Yeah, sure... When an add-on is too useful, it becomes mandatory, like it or not; much like WA or DBM today (and their reaching effect is much lesser).

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Yeah, sure... When an add-on is too useful, it becomes mandatory, like it or not; much like WA or DBM today (and their reaching effect is much lesser).
    And how exactly is "having achievements" helpful?

this will break classic

just sayin...
    Aside from the few odd items, we are pretty much talking about items from Naxx, a lot of other skins from removed Vanilla content (such as ZG) has been implemented into the game again.
    Not every item, but i doubt people that are solely there for transmog suffer through Vanilla until Naxx and until they have the full set.

Every transmog from Vanilla instances (that are still in the game) are far easier to acquire on live.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Aside from the few odd items, we are pretty much talking about items from Naxx, a lot of other skins from removed Vanilla content (such as ZG) has been implemented into the game again.
    Not every item, but i doubt people that are solely there for transmog suffer through Vanilla until Naxx and until they have the full set.

Every transmog from Vanilla instances (that are still in the game) are far easier to acquire on live.
    There are some crazy people out there.
    It wouldnt surprise me if a "Hardcore Transmogger" (lol) would play classic just for the new/mega rare pieces no one can have.

The fact that they only exist in Naxx is even worse. Only makes them more rare...creating crazier people who would play classic just for them.

The problem is not in the transmogs.
    The problem is in giving incentive for people who "wouldn't play classic if it wasnt for "X" thing shared with live servers"

Its going to put people in Classic for the wrong reasons. Its going to be toxic.

No. Besides, allowing cross-game xmogs would be one of the dumbest things Blizz could do with Classic. Let people play Classic out of desire or out of curiosity, not as an additional [current xpac] grind.
    Too bad though, they will do it because if you want classic to last they will need reasons to entice all players to play it to keep populations up and this has 0 effect on game play.

- - - Updated - - -

There are some crazy people out there.
    It wouldnt surprise me if a "Hardcore Transmogger" (lol) would play classic just for the new/mega rare pieces no one can have.

The fact that they only exist in Naxx is even worse. Only makes them more rare...creating crazier people who would play classic just for them.

The problem is not in the transmogs.
    The problem is in giving incentive for people who "wouldn't play classic if it wasnt for "X" thing shared with live servers"

Its going to put people in Classic for the wrong reasons. Its going to be toxic.
    Vanilla was Toxic to begin with, it is not new believe me.

5+ Year Old Account
    And how exactly is "having achievements" helpful?
    "Link [x achievement] or no inv"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Vanilla was Toxic to begin with, it is not new believe me.
    Yes, it was toxic because the bad players were left out.
    And the good players were all social, having a private party doing content.

Bad players on the ignore list and such.

Difficulty in all content breeds this kind of stuff.

But in some games the pros help the newbs in every way they can. Dont know if it was the case in Vanilla.

One thing is for sure.
    I bet people invited noobs to raids because finding 40 people was a pain in the arse.

10+ Year Old Account
    No way the only items I'd want for mog are T3 and the unobtainable Naxx items and there's no way I'm investing that amount of time into Classic lol. I'll be a tourist and slowly level up to 60 and maybe do MC and stop there.

Yes, it was toxic because the bad players were left out.
    And the good players were all social, having a private party doing content.

Bad players on the ignore list and such.

Difficulty in all content breeds this kind of stuff.

But in some games the pros help the newbs in every way they can. Dont know if it was the case in Vanilla.

One thing is for sure.
    I bet people invited noobs to raids because finding 40 people was a pain in the arse.
    There are other levels of toxicity which was the "If you can heal you have to heal or you are not coming" that was the mentality of almost every guild back then.

Still less. BFA is my main game for me. Classic like OSRS is a side thing for me. Or will be in the case of Classic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    There are other levels of toxicity which was the "If you can heal you have to heal or you are not coming" that was the mentality of almost every guild back then.
    Ah yes i forgot about that.

They call them "snowflakes". Retri paladins, boomkins, enh shamans etc.
    The elitists call them snowflakes for some reason.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I care very little for outdated ugly transmorg anyway, they lool horrendous on updated models the same goes for mounts
    Scarlet Briar: Let's play "Giant club vs. Overripe Fruit." I'll be the club.

Scarlet Briar: Careful now. Death by cannonball would be funny, but killing you myself is actual fun.