Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by rosso View Post
    This means little because having 100 or 1000 account on Classic Server vs "at least" 2 milions Live account isn't the same.

ESPECIALLY after all this "DURR YOU THINK YOU DO BUT YOU DONT DEERP" from "played last 3 months vanilla" fanbois that are assuming that there is a huge pop, like live one, that want to play Classic at all costs.

The real thing to look for a "classic success" it will be over the first 6 months, after the initial spike + drop, and it will be a "stable" # of account active.
    Did you even read the quote you're answering to ? Nothing in your rant is related to it.

I don't really get why people even tried to make the ''Wall of No'' in the first place. Did it somewhat make them feel comforting trying to convince themselves that another version of WoW will not happen? Did they seriously believe that Blizzard would even stick true to their words, even if in the past they continuously changed their minds anyway? Either way I'm glad that this Wall of Cringe is dead and buried where it belongs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I don't really get why people even tried to make the ''Wall of No'' in the first place. Did it somewhat make them feel comforting trying to convince themselves that another version of WoW will not happen? Did they seriously believe that Blizzard would even stick true to their words, even if in the past they continuously changed their minds anyway? Either way I'm glad that this Wall of Cringe is dead and buried where it belongs.
    yes. a small (but vocal) subset of players, both here and on official forums, took it very personally. The same is true on the opposite pole, but the opposite pole didn't have a 'wall of yes' to fall back on.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Classic servers should be vanilla. My ONLY concession would be AOE loot, because lets face it that's an awesome QoL change.
    So you think AoE loot is great.....But its totally okay to have fucked up specs that will never get into a group ( Like Elemental shaman ) PvP being ruled by 2 handed EnH shaman and arms warriors because in VWoW they are unstoppable gods. Yeah, lets not....How about we have most Qol changes such as transmog etc and have fixed class balance so everyone ( Apart from crying snowflakes ) can have fun.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    So you think AoE loot is great.....But its totally okay to have fucked up specs that will never get into a group ( Like Elemental shaman ) PvP being ruled by 2 handed EnH shaman and arms warriors because in VWoW they are unstoppable gods. Yeah, lets not....How about we have most Qol changes such as transmog etc and have fixed class balance so everyone ( Apart from crying snowflakes ) can have fun.
    my expectation of the actual product is something along these lines, but as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

most qol changes would include
    more flight paths
    more gy's
    instance quest givers in the instance entrance
    linear questing, with cohesive storylines per zone based on the originals
    queue bg anywhere
    no more trainers, new spells auto-learned
    multi-target abilities no longer break cc
    no more hard-to-learn hunter trapping - hunters can throw their traps!
    no hunter dead zone
    no more confusing talent choices - just awesome new abilities every x levels for more fun!
    buy a boost and skip right to the good stuff!
    need a helping hand on paying for your level 20 mount? buy a token in gameshop
    neutered threat as a gameplay mechanic -
    increased aoe abilities for all classes
    multiple raid/dungeon difficulties
    modern bg rules/maps/timers
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-07-13 at 08:22 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    my expectation of the actual product is something along these lines, but as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

most qol changes would include
    more flight paths
    more gy's
    instance quest givers in the instance entrance
    linear questing, with cohesive storylines per zone based on the originals
    queue bg anywhere
    no more trainers, new spells auto-learned
    multi-target abilities no longer break cc
    no more hard-to-learn hunter trapping - hunters can throw their traps!
    no hunter dead zone
    no more confusing talent choices - just awesome new abilities every x levels for more fun!
    buy a boost and skip right to the good stuff!
    need a helping hand on paying for your level 20 mount? buy a token in gameshop
    neutered threat as a gameplay mechanic -
    increased aoe abilities for all classes
    multiple raid/dungeon difficulties
    modern bg rules/maps/timers
    While this looks likely to me, it would definitely be a game that I wouldn't touch even with a 10ft pole. It would be horribly similar to retail, just capped at 60 and with the pre-Cata world.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Most people with a brain have come to the conclusion that Classic will be a success simply because, if you have a brain, you reallize just HOW FEW sub are needed to break even.
    Well, i speak for myself when i say we have NO IDEA at all of the costs involved in releasing classic, and with no confirmation of a payment model, any 'estimation' of classics costs and break even point is just a wild guess, and nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    While this looks likely to me, it would definitely be a game that I wouldn't touch even with a 10ft pole. It would be horribly similar to retail, just capped at 60 and with the pre-Cata world.
    speaking in general, I doubt I would either.

My interest is leveling bracket bg's. ultimately it would depend on implementation of that (4.1 wsg gy change is a no-go for me), and how the classes actually work. I don't have my hopes up.

Blizzard could surprise us (and itself, maybe) and manage to do whatever is needed to release a less accessible, more authentic game. There certainly could be a market for it that NO ONE is serving now with a major property in this genre. I just keep getting divide by zero errors when I try to imagine it getting green-lighted.

smart roll-out would hold as much of this stuff back as is practical (especially features that can presumably be disabled), then start dripping it out because the players demand it. putting it all in up-front would just piss off the vocal classic folks in a way detrimental to launch buzz.

better (for me at any rate) would be the above, but have realms it is never rolled out on. call them something catchy (hardcore, pristine, whatever) but in reality make them as close to authentic classic but tuned to last as is practical. this could allow even MORE achievements in retail for doing something on pristine classic realms.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Well, i speak for myself when i say we have NO IDEA at all of the costs involved in releasing classic, and with no confirmation of a payment model, any 'estimation' of classics costs and break even point is just a wild guess, and nothing more.
    500k net new paying subs for 1 year (this would include aggregated gains from less unsubs during the scheduled content droughts) is about 90 million without token surcharges, without value-added services.

even the NO people working on a mock-up budget guesstimate on this topic in the megathread were way below those numbers in trying to show how it wasn't likely to be profitable.

I do remember it, although I can only remember seeing it referenced.

I also remember how it used to be that Classic was "the pinnacle of game design!!!!1", a wall that's been eroded quickly by the fanbase' behaviour since it became official that these servers are happening.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    I do remember it, although I can only remember seeing it referenced.

I also remember how it used to be that Classic was "the pinnacle of game design!!!!1", a wall that's been eroded quickly by the fanbase' behaviour since it became official that these servers are happening.
    Only a few idiots claimed that Vanilla was the pinnacle of anything. It did have (has?) its flaws of course, that's why the pro-Vanilla crowd said that they wanted "pure Vanilla, warts and all". The "pinnacle" is nothing but a huge (and moronic) strawman.

Only a few idiots claimed that Vanilla was the pinnacle of anything. It did have (has?) its flaws of course, that's why the pro-Vanilla crowd said that they wanted "pure Vanilla, warts and all". The "pinnacle" is nothing but a huge (and moronic) strawman.
    Sorry, but your words don't change facts. More than "a few idiots" sang that song loud and clear up and down any forum that was open (since they'd usually be banned from the wow forums) for years and years, with increased intensity once a certain private server shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by digichi View Post
    "3. The original game code does not exist in that form anymore. All the old data has been replaced, with the newer data which was not saved (archived) for later reuse. It was over-written and destroyed. “There is no switch to flip on the realms to roll back years of patches and changes…” In keeping with the sentiment in expressed in #2, above, it’s gone, never to return. Even if it were “recoverable” by other means it would still require lengthy and expensive rewrite."

Well this still applies, and its a good thing to keep in mind when waiting for more info on Classic. I'm interested to see what it takes to restore the game to its original style.
    Chances are they worked out a deal to get said code back from some of the private servers. They can reverse engineer most of that stuff.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    Sorry, but your words don't change facts. More than "a few idiots" sang that song loud and clear up and down any forum that was open (since they'd usually be banned from the wow forums) for years and years, with increased intensity once a certain private server shut down.
    Take your own advice and stop lying blatantly

EDIT: I can also handpick two or three dumbasses from these very boards who claim that WoD was the best xpac ever, and then try to sell that as the unanimous opinion of MMOC. But that's not how actual debate works, is it?
    Last edited by Soon-TM; 2018-07-14 at 02:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take your own advice and stop lying blatantly

EDIT: I can also handpick two or three dumbasses from these very boards who claim that WoD was the best xpac ever, and then try to sell that as the unanimous opinion of MMOC. But that's not how actual debate works, is it?
    wrong! what you describe is called 'winning' on an anonymous online forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    so hurt that you quote a week old post? Goal reached! thanks
    You failed to understand the post ;-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Fair enough..what it has to do with white-knighting to quote a company policy...I don't know. Because at that point it was literally their stance on Classic servers. Whoop de whoop. They changed their opinion...and guess what....now that is a shitty move?

But that apart are we / you happier now?

Now that you will get Classic, not even the people WHO LOBBIED FOR IT are in agreement WHAT Classic is / was / should be.

Poor things :/
    The only poor things are the sad sack of shit retailers that troll these forums every day until they get banned and start trolling on alt accounts.

90% of all posts that ask for extra stupid changes if you look at the posting history you see idiots who flamed against vanilla servers in the past.
    Just go on with your sad lives go and farm pokemons, do something better with your time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    somebody got triggered fast, but you know, atleast on live i get new shit while classic will be classic forever and ever

who cares about cash shop, oh look you bought a fancy helm better go mental and big lol at your claim that they owned susaneexpress
    Nobody cares about your special needs loot pinata. Why are you posting here?

Another case of mentally deficient retailer who can't help himself but post crap about something that does not concern him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    The only poor things are the sad sack of shit retailers that troll these forums every day until they get banned and start trolling on alt accounts.

90% of all posts that ask for extra stupid changes if you look at the posting history you see idiots who flamed against vanilla servers in the past.
    Just go on with your sad lives go and farm pokemons, do something better with your time.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody cares about your special needs loot pinata. Why are you posting here?

Another case of mentally deficient retailer who can't help himself but post crap about something that does not concern him.
    he said after literally just insultin people, so much about posting crap
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Chances are they worked out a deal to get said code back from some of the private servers. They can reverse engineer most of that stuff.
    Code from private servers is not what they will use as it is not even close to using the correct database. They said they had it but it was not archived in a very manageable way. This would likely be part of the reason they are going with 1.12 as a static version.