Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I ran WoW in SLI for many years and had my eyes on multi-gpu utilization bars on the other screen regularly. SLI in windowed and windowed fullscreen worked absolutely fine. Not sure what you are on about?

Quote Originally Posted by Daeveren View Post
    In theory, yes it should - but it needs software support, so that's what it seems we don't have yet from Nvidia. But in practice, it causes issues for a lot of people (presumably only those with nvidia cards) and loss of performance (quite the opposite what DX12 should do) and it now seems it was just not activated at all. Hopefuly by tuesday Nvidia releases their patch.
    I am going to be the pessimist and guess wow’s dx12 support for Nvidia will happen when they release the 11xx/20xx series and that there is no magic patch in sight. Finding ANY game where dx12 backporting has made a positive impact on current nvidia cards is a hard task.

Seems to me fps will be improved in dx11 mode as well. But would be interesting to see a vega64 vs 1080ti (or rx 580 v 1060) comparison come 8.0.
    Last edited by Wries; 2018-07-14 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    wow’s dx12 support for Nvidia will happen when they release the 11xx/20xx series and that there is no magic patch in sight
    You can have your own oppinion, ofcourse.
    DX12 does not need additional hardware, it's a set of software instructions/libraries/frameworks etc, so the software support for it has to be enabled in 3 places: in the OS (and Win10 added support for it), in a game engine (this is pretty obvious) and in the graphics drivers, if the graphics drivers have special support for a specific game (as it is the case with WoW, due to the Blizzard-Nvidia partnership). Nvidia IS going to release a BfA GameReady driver, just as they did for every expansion in the past and it makes sense that this is where the DX12 support should be officially/fully enabled. For Legion, the GeForce driver Game Ready to support Legion was released on 31 aug 2016.
    Last edited by Daeveren; 2018-07-14 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    GPUs won't effect your minimum frames. You won't drop to 7 FPS from ~100 suddenly.
    I have not really noticed any lower fps on the beta. Still run from 100 to 144 fps which is the cap i put (monitor refresh rate) But i do notice a lot of noticable lag that i do not have on live. It looks like fps drops even tho the fps aint dropping. Hopefully this is only a beta thing

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    I have not really noticed any lower fps on the beta. Still run from 100 to 144 fps which is the cap i put (monitor refresh rate) But i do notice a lot of noticable lag that i do not have on live. It looks like fps drops even tho the fps aint dropping. Hopefully this is only a beta thing
    Is this after setting the rendering engine to DX12?

for someone who is going to buy new computer with 1060 and perfer to installed win 7 instand of win10, does the dx12 compare to dx11 is going to be important that i need to get win 10? from what ppl wrote here dx12 runing rly bad atm.

Is this after setting the rendering engine to DX12?
    Yeah. Dx12

Quote Originally Posted by shinedowNn View Post
    for someone who is going to buy new computer with 1060 and perfer to installed win 7 instand of win10, does the dx12 compare to dx11 is going to be important that i need to get win 10? from what ppl wrote here dx12 runing rly bad atm.
    Some players have reported bad results switching to DX12 on beta currently (I'm on this boat too, GeForce 1060 and Win10) - but this is most likely due to the official/final Nvidia drivers for BfA not being released yet. It is expected that once the Nvidia releases the GeForce Game Ready version for BfA that it is going to run properly in DX12 mode. Under certain circumstances, DX12 should offer more fps than DX11, using the exact same hardware (ie: when there are crowds, when there are many of the same objects on the screen and so on). Eventually, as time passes, more development and optimization will go towards DX12 render engine from the Blizzard programmers (so things might get even better over time, while DX11 will most likely remain 'static').

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    15 years.

Billions of dollars.

Still utilizes 1 CPU core for PS3 level graphics. Can't maintain 60FPS maxed on $3000+ dollar hardware.
    You have got to be kidding. Unless you bought absolute garbage for $3000 and are complaining. Shit, i'd be pissed at whoever sold you that, or convinced you to.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    You have got to be kidding. Unless you bought absolute garbage for $3000 and are complaining. Shit, i'd be pissed at whoever sold you that, or convinced you to.
    I think he speaks about Classic WoW (that might be the only explanation).

WoW Legion and Spotify usage:

I think he speaks about Classic WoW (that might be the only explanation).

WoW Legion and Spotify usage:
    Such graphs are useless... WoW still rarely uses more than 1 thread actively.

For instance, here's export into PNG in PS:

Here's WoW in orgri next to tens of people making love to target dummies:

In all honesty, the only time when it uses more threads is when the client has to load a lot of stuff, e.g., during loading screens. But other than that, when it comes to CPU utilisation WoW is shite, which is sad...
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-07-14 at 01:07 PM. Reason: ocd was killing me...

I am noticing a trend in most of the negative responses so far.. they are all using 1060s, which is a card that is known for having performance issues. Hell even NVIDIA "broke" the card with a fairly recent driver update because the architecture is dated. Want to use D12? Get a better card. I have a pair of 1080Tis in SLI and on beta my graphics are better than live.
    Last edited by Evolutious; 2018-07-14 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolutious View Post
    they are all using 1060s
    Where have you seen this, actually? I don't reckon seeing someone else say about 1060 other than me - the other poster mentioning 1060 said he's planning to buy one. Some would also say even 1060 is overkill for wow, you definatelly chosed to pay 1000$ for 2x 1080 Ti actually - obviously you won't see any kind of performance related stuff in any foreseable future with this kind of power.
    DX12 has nothing to do with the card, even a 970 will do the same things as a 1080 Ti in terms of DX12 instructions, because even the 9xx generation is fully compatible with DX12. The GeForce 6xx and 7xx series also support DX12, but only lack the asynchronous compute.

Is RX 580 a good card to get for DX12?

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    Such graphs are useless... WoW still rarely uses more than 1 thread actively.
    Do you believe anyone cares if it's 1 or 117 threads of execution? Most folks here have CPUs with 2, 4 or 6 physical cores and the endless discussion over the years is about how many cores would the WoW client actually use/benefit from. This is why a lot of people complain, that they just bought a 4/6/8core high end cpu and that wow can't make use of it, because it can't do/doesn't support multi-core, they say. Can you show your client in a busy Legion zone (a class hall in Broken Isles should do the trick) using just 1 core and leaving the other cores unused? (as it used to do way back in the past actually and as it should do if it's just one execution thread).

Do you believe anyone cares if it's 1 or 117 threads of execution? Most folks here have CPUs with 2, 4 or 6 physical cores and the endless discussion over the years is about how many cores would the WoW client actually use/benefit from. This is why a lot of people complain, that they just bought a 4/6/8core high end cpu and that wow can't make use of it, because it can't do/doesn't support multi-core, they say. Can you show your client in a busy Legion zone (a class hall in Broken Isles should do the trick) using just 1 core and leaving the other cores unused? (as it used to do way back in the past actually and as it should do if it's just one execution thread).
    Why does it matter what other people care about? You're the one who says that your client + spotify utilises all 8 cores to ~50% by posting a graph w/ no proper info whatsoever.

I showed you how actual 8.0 client's thread utilisation looks like. I made in orgri w/ tens of people next to me casting all the time, in BfA that place is much busier than any CH during Legion. In busy CHs WoW idles at 7-15% cpu usage, so that wouldn't do the trick anyway.
    Last edited by ls-; 2018-07-14 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    At least someone understands how beta works. Thanks for saving my time for posting this before me.
    I know it is refreshing right.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

The fact is that wow doesn't use one core, it makes use of as many as you have (in various percentages). This is what matters and was a reply to the dude saying (as do many others) that wow only uses one cpu core.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Is the CPU over clocked or stock speed?
    stock did not touch it yet.
    12 year rogue player!

The fact is that wow doesn't use one core, it makes use of as many as you have (in various percentages). This is what matters and was a reply to the dude saying (as do many others) that wow only uses one cpu core.
    Except Windows is lying to you (or well, making it hard to properly interpret). You can have one thread using as much power as possible, and the Windows Task Manager would somehow show it spread over all your cores, despite it being logically limited to using only one CPU core at the same time.

So sure, you could say that WoW uses all your cores because Windows shuffles programs around between cores, so it happens to run on all of them partially. But WoW is not really using multiple cores at the same time.

Look at the GPU usage in addition to CPU usage. If you don't see the GPU usage at full 100%, then your CPU is limiting the performance.

My only question is how does using DX12 benefit anyone that is not using Win10?