Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    What was in Classic will be in Classic. Things that weren't, aren't going to be. Calm yo' trolling ass down and shush.
    They literally said it will be modern client + vanilla zones and quests. New animations, skills will work differently (ie Charge will work like it does now, not in Vanilla). lol
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    I think the nost folks had to have seen this, their first paragraph draws attention to it, but they don't spell it out (saying people lied on your survey isn't helpful even if expected).

curiously, blizzard ceased providing any wow-specific data from that time forward.
    Nothing curious about playing nice with your income source. Once the news isn't as cheery, don't report that news, do focus on the bright spots.

I can't imagine WoW was that popular as a "gift for kids" at the time, dunno what the heck those numbers would be other than lies or a different culture. So many teens and above buying them out, at the time.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

7+ Year Old Account

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    They literally said it will be modern client + vanilla zones and quests. New animations, skills will work differently (ie Charge will work like it does now, not in Vanilla). lol
    They didn't Bad troll, bad, go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    They have said that it is going on the modern client.......there has been nothing about animations, graphics, etc but there will be some differences on how some abilities interact with the world, example may be charge will not send you on a crazy path to get to places.
    I know what they said.

They called it client, but then they safely described only infrastructure, framework, organization, incidentally clarifying with this that "its content will be old". It can't be literally called client, it's just scrap from it. BD, drivers, data protocols may be type, but this doesn't directly apply to game itself.

But, yes, when I mockingly asked him to leave, I had in mind mention of animations and other things. And I don't think that their "code" part will be full new: bugs been corrected - yes, for sure, but in general content will be same old (charge or whatever you mentioned).

Ie stuff stored in client will have nothing to do with retail, but server and computer hardware will be able to communicate with this hybrid creation as well as with it. If you want we can call it like 2 buses (retail and classic "client") with identical hulls (size and shape) and contents of hood, but "live filling", interior trim (dashboard including) and design will be completely different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    Can you help us restore that look to our modern engine?"
    which means that for user's eyes and sensations it will be maximally idenetic to what was (code itself won't matter in this particular case, because if it will be identical to retail, then it won't look and feel like "that old one"). So, even if it won't be "old", it still won't be same as it's on retail.

If we return to our analogy, then: those traveling on the bus, including driver, won't notice difference between that favorite old bus and this "restored" one. GMs will be in this case in role of dispatchers, who will have their own universal interface and they won't care about bus type and brand.

ps. But again, application of search for workforce isn't official information source, it's just a fact that everyone are free to interpret in own way. It can mean a lot of different things. It seems to me that it's too early for loud statements
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2018-07-20 at 06:25 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    They have said that it is going on the modern client.......there has been nothing about animations, graphics, etc but there will be some differences on how some abilities interact with the world, example may be charge will not send you on a crazy path to get to places.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    I know what they said.

They called it client, but then they safely described only infrastructure, framework, organization, incidentally clarifying with this that "its content will be old". It can't be literally called client, it's just scrap from it. BD, drivers, data protocols may be type, but this doesn't directly apply to game itself.

But, yes, when I mockingly asked him to leave, I had in mind mention of animations and other things. And I don't think that their "code" part will be full new: bugs been corrected - yes, for sure, but in general content will be same old (charge or whatever you mentioned).
    SO you honestly think they are gonig to take the code from 15 years ago and modify it to work with the current client. Even look at the job posting has this quote " Can you help us restore that look to our modern engine? "

https://careers.blizzard.com/de-de/openings/oYEO7fwh

Quote Originally Posted by Warpten View Post
    Doubt rise

I'm sorry that your English is not up to the task. Either that, or you're being obtuse due to a lack of facts to back you up.
    The only way one could play the game without ever seeing the same people, is through disabling nameplates and never ever look away from the LFR/DF tab.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadpants View Post
    Should not be a problem since there will only be a single server anyway.

Also, #NoChanges. Fuck anyone who even questions the unbridled PERFECTION that is vanilla.
    Nice attempt at trolling. But #NoChanges doesn't imply in the slightest that Vanilla was unbridled perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    Jesus what a joke of a thread.
    I've never seen an OP actually derail their own thread, let alone it happen within an hour of posting it.

There is a REAL problem here that needs to be discussed, and I think this is a perfect microcosm of why Classic is going to fail miserably.

Serious discussion just can't take place on this topic, it seems. Everyone is far too interested in preaching about random unrelated things they REMEMBER being good in Classic to ever compare objective fact and consult on important topics like systems and development.

I hate to break it to you, but this product needs to be viable in the real world in 2018, not in your dreamy memories of 2004.
    We NEED to discuss what happens with divergent population splits. It happened on Live, it happens on private servers, and it will happen here.

If you think Cross realm is NOT the answer, then what is? The only thing I can think of that would make both sides happy is one huge realm, and I don't know if that's even possible.

Otherwise, we WILL end up with many utterly dead realms, and if there are also no paid realm transfers, then that means a lot of people quitting the game, likely.
    Hush. Your expectations of an actually working game are nothing compared to the OP's daydream of a perfect time where like 4-5 servers could be considered health and the rest had hours long queue times.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    That's why it didn't.

By the end of WoD, which is when they stopped reporting sub numbers, the amount of active subs was the same as it was at the end of Vanialla. So uh, yeah... stop being special.
    Wasn't the end when they stopped reporting numbers, it was after q1. WoD went far below the 7.5M player count.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gkai View Post
    Wasn't the end when they stopped reporting numbers, it was after q1. WoD went far below the 7.5M player count.
    they also concurrently altered financial reporting to no longer report wow in its own category. They went totally black on any sort of wow-exclusive information at that point besides what they voluntarily choose to reveal in bragging.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Nice attempt at trolling. But #NoChanges doesn't imply in the slightest that Vanilla was unbridled perfection.
    correct - Nochanges more or less tends to recognize the reality that once blizzard gets to changing things, they are gonna change it so much that only people who hate classic will like it.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by ababmer View Post
    It ruined server PVP identity and you are wrong for calling for it
    You can't say someone's opinion on an artistic decision is "wrong". This isn't 1+1=2 dude.

15+ Year Old Account
    A better option to crossrealm BGs is to instead have horde vs horde/ally vs ally be possible in BGs. That way, the server identity and community stays intact and queues don't get out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Don’t worry, 6 months after classic goes live there will only be one server anyway.
    This, I keep saying this in nearly every thread like this. After the initial rush and people realize they actually have to .... work... for stuff. There may be enough to have 1 good server worth of people.

Deleted
    Gotta love how you seem to belive there will ever be multiple Classic WoW servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    This, I keep saying this in nearly every thread like this. After the initial rush and people realize they actually have to .... work... for stuff. There may be enough to have 1 good server worth of people.
    It will easily maintain 100k + players for years, how do you plan to fit 100k players on a game/server designed for 2-3k people at a time? The private server community itself is strong enough that even Warmanes WOTLK server which has been stuck at endgame for years still hits a daily 12k concurrent player cap, that's a pirate server being run by donations, aka selling $100+ Shadowmournes.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    It will easily maintain 100k + players for years, how do you plan to fit 100k players on a game/server designed for 2-3k people at a time? The private server community itself is strong enough that even Warmanes WOTLK server which has been stuck at endgame for years still hits a daily 12k concurrent player cap, that's a pirate server being run by donations, aka selling $100+ Shadowmournes.
    Most of those players on private servers are there because they have either been banned or dont want to pay for wow.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Reported, please stay on topic to the discussion
    Reported for not staying on topic to the discussion and for personal insult
    Hey, I think it might be GennGreymane guys!

Here... you want to stay on target? Fine. I'll say what everyone else with the capacity for rational thought has said: If it was in classic, it will be in classic. Vanilla was classic. They will go with what made sense by the time 1.12 came around, and do you know WHY it made sense to have cross realm battlegrounds? Because no one, and I mean NO ONE, wanted to wait for hours on end for a PVP queue to pop just because we had to wait for people in our realm to queue. That was how Horde will piss all over Alliance on servers where they couldn't simply dominate. They wouldn't queue up so that people would basically just wait for their circle jerk to end so they could actually play. Some servers this took forever.

Cross realm BGs fixed this issue.

And of COURSE Vanilla numbers rose faster than at any other point in the game. Because the game was new and it's own breed of MMO. It was fresh and different than pre-existing MMOs and it built on an already existing franchise. But at some point those numbers reach saturation. Then you have to rely on popularity of an expansion to bring the numbers in. Which is what Wrath did. It already had an enormous population from Classic and TBC and just built on them.

You sure know how to look at a chart, but you have ZERO idea of how statistics actually work in this area.

Most of those players on private servers are there because they have either been banned or dont want to pay for wow.
    1. Banned - An entirely baseless assumption that has no merit

2. That's why they buy their gear?

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    This is incorrect. It WILL be the existing client... but it will look and feel exactly how the original game played. This means the animations and skills will behave exactly as they did no later than 1.12.

The client runs the code. It doesn't determine the animations and skills. The code does that. The code will be code from Classic modified to run in the new client.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post
    I'm beginning to sense that 90% of your posts are compensating something
    I have been preaching this for a long time. I think there are ALOT of people that came in during the tail end of vanilla as BC came out and during BC that claim "Oh yea I played vanilla". Its like when you round your age up or down. There are many , MANY real vanilla players that have ZERO interest in going back to that shit hole.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    1. Banned - An entirely baseless assumption that has no merit

2. That's why they buy their gear?
    Actually its not baseless, over the years there have been TONS of forum post from players on private servers talking about being banned from live. Owendcore had tons of post directing people to private servers and people looking for them that had been banned. Just becasue you have never seen them does not mean they dont exist.

and to your second question, the same reason people use paid bots. To get an advantage, just like many of them did to get bans, that led them to private servers to buy items ect. (ironically goes hand in hand with the first point I made) They players that are there because they weren't banned but dont want to pay were most likely not the ones buying said items.

I have been preaching this for a long time. I think there are ALOT of people that came in during the tail end of vanilla as BC came out and during BC that claim "Oh yea I played vanilla". Its like when you round your age up or down. There are many , MANY real vanilla players that have ZERO interest in going back to that shit hole.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually its not baseless, over the years there have been TONS of forum post from players on private servers talking about being banned from live. Owendcore had tons of post directing people to private servers and people looking for them that had been banned. Just becasue you have never seen them does not mean they dont exist.

and to your second question, the same reason people use paid bots. To get an advantage, just like many of them did to get bans, that led them to private servers to buy items ect. (ironically goes hand in hand with the first point I made) They players that are there because they weren't banned but dont want to pay were most likely not the ones buying said items.
    Where are these TONS of forum posts? As someone who has played private servers for years myself I've never met a single player who played private servers because they got banned, nor because it was free. You've made a baseless assumption as the basis of using a blanket reasoning where you have nothing to support your (quite honestly ridiculous) claim, of the hundreds of players I've met who play private servers most of them were playing retail alongside the private server, or bouncing between.

Many of my guildies on retail have played various private servers in recent years, for the basis of your argument to have any merit would require a huge amount of people who are randomly deciding to go play an old version of wow purely because they got banned? It's nonsense, of course some people will play because it's free but not the majority.

People play private servers because they provide a popular version of the game no longer available, and the numbers of people playing WoW private servers is enough to dwarf a lot of legit popular game titles by steam figures.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2018-08-01 at 07:39 PM.