Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sarkarin View Post
    Because everything dies in this game. Everything is too trivial so there's no sense of danger.

There is not a soul alive who did not run from the Butcher in the original Diablo. He was as scary as he was vicious. A room fool of corpses and appendages everywhere. The stuff of nightmares. If you managed to run from him you knew he was somewhere in the dungeon.

There is nothing like that in WoW. No monsters, no threat = no monster just loot pinatas.

Discuss.
    And then eventually you overgeared Butcher and he was just something you did for "lulz" and because you had a friend who needed the gear.

Replace gear with knowing what to do from reading guides and there's your answer. Which is decidedly less self important than yours.

- - - Updated - - -

And in the meantime WotLK was the epitome of existential moments in WoW, like tortuting someone or killing a person whom you only knew was forced into doing it after the fact. I felt so unheroic that I logged out and stopped playing when they happened.

Existential questions are scarier than simply horror, I can watch a movie for that.

Quote Originally Posted by TommiTMX View Post
    There's a giant mob walking around on Argus that will kick your ass if you get too close to him without a group.

You're meant to be a hero of Azeroth by that point though. Rares on Argus when you're there gearing will kick your ass too.

Thats kinda the problem though, its part of a larger issue: We simply steamroll everything in our path. We never lose, even the "defeat" on the Broken Shore gained the Legion what... an island for a couple months? wooooo massive loss there guys... Theres no genuine worry, no real hook to the story when you KNOW you are going to win. This is also why BFA is getting lacklustre reviews imo, we KNOW a faction wont win.. we KNOW "insert new bad guy here" is going to show up and make us all be bestest of buddies again to save the universe (again) so theres no real tension for a war that will have no real impact.

Discuss.
    I don't see monsters, I have Matrix vision when I play wow

I have sound alerts, weakauras, timers and progress bars to watch. I wouldn't even notice arms laying around, the world is invisible to me. I don't see nearby creatures I see nameplates and their color. My UI is constantly providing me information about what's going on, why do I need to look at a creature? Or myself, which is why I don't transmog Legion doesn't matter anymore because I know all the creatures in every area but prior to knowing a creatures capabilities I can judge it's damage potential by the amount of health it has, high HP creatures relative to those around it are always more dangerous except in unique situations like spell flingers in AK: The Old Kingdom dungeon in wrath since they hit for a percentage of max health and not a set number. Once I know what they do though they no longer pose a threat, I'll make a weakaura for "unit: spell flingers action: casting that 50% hp spell sound: uh oh" and it wouldn't be a threat anymore.

There are ways to circumvent everything, and as a Druid if I can't kill something before it can kill me I'll switch to Resto or Tank and outlast it.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Sounds like someone never got smushed by a Fel Reaver in HFP
    we don't talk about those times, some of us are still suffering from PTSD from these events.....

Because everything dies in this game. Everything is too trivial so there's no sense of danger.

There is not a soul alive who did not run from the Butcher in the original Diablo. He was as scary as he was vicious. A room fool of corpses and appendages everywhere. The stuff of nightmares. If you managed to run from him you knew he was somewhere in the dungeon.

There is nothing like that in WoW. No monsters, no threat = no monster just loot pinatas.

Discuss.
    Something's not quite right...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TommiTMX View Post
    There's a giant mob walking around on Argus that will kick your ass if you get too close to him without a group.

You're meant to be a hero of Azeroth by that point though. Rares on Argus when you're there gearing will kick your ass too.
    It isn't walking on Argus. He walks back and forth in a straight line and you can avoid him with little effort. On my main I even outran him after surviving two blows.

OT: I miss those too. These days, if I ever need to go to Vashj'Ir by breaking the water's surface, I first /tar whale shark and put a symbol on it, just to be sure it isn't directly below me. It scares me like nothing, even if I could probably oneshot it by now.
    Patches, Fel Reaver, Storm Giant, Whale Shark, Kolorath... stuff like this has been missing from the game for too long.

Not even counting Argus reaver for the reasons above.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Mist of Pandaria -> Timeless Isle Rare's => oneshotting fully raid geared tanks easily, it was basicly fighting Diablo3-GRrift-CHAMPIONS

Most MMO players did not like it, because even in groups/raids you had to avoid the oneshots, you could not outgear nor outRAID them, the reputation farming was painful for the majority of the playerbase.

Thats why I don't get the wow classic hype at all, it had more comon with MoP Timeless Isle difficulty for harder mobs and in both cases the community was complaing about it.
    They were all soloable, what are you even talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    They were all soloable, what are you even talking about?
    That was the best part of them. Most rares on the Timeless Isle were soloable if you consistently avoided their damage.

It made going there on lesser geared characters interesting because you could kill the mobs if you tried hard enough and were consistent. If you sucked and got hit, you'd probably die.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Mist of Pandaria -> Timeless Isle Rare's => oneshotting fully raid geared tanks easily, it was basicly fighting Diablo3-GRrift-CHAMPIONS

Most MMO players did not like it, because even in groups/raids you had to avoid the oneshots, you could not outgear nor outRAID them, the reputation farming was painful for the majority of the playerbase.

Thats why I don't get the wow classic hype at all, it had more comon with MoP Timeless Isle difficulty for harder mobs and in both cases the community was complaing about it.
    because the community would rather whine rather than git gud.

elites with avoidable damage, taking 50% hp, i could learn to avoid them, or i could gear up and still get 2 shot, go WTF blizz this is OP plz nerf.

i loved TI farming the higher up areas was great, hardly ever saw noobs up there, too scared, too poor gear etc, it was like an area for better geared players.

where is that in legion? argus is a joke and anything can be destroyed with a 10 minute cooldown. BORING if that was 1-2 months of content fine, but thats been around like 6 months now, 6 months of virtually no challenge zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

This thread is silly. Early when they were introduced Suramar and (to a lesser extent) Argus were dangerous places. Gear made us overcome them over time, but that's what gear is supposed to do. I killed Argus, I shouldn't have a problem with some random Nightborne pack or demon general anymore.

Similarly, yes, the first time Butcher was scary. On your third, min-maxed playthrough of Diablo you could just abuse his AI and firebolt his pitiful ass to death while rolling face on keyboard.

7+ Year Old Account

Discuss.
    You've clearly not played during Vanilla or TBC and wandered Into the wrong camp and explored too greedily only to be chased by Kazzakus when you got too curious... or stomped by a Fel Reaver, only 2 seconds after hearing a giant metalic roar and realizing he's 2 feet away from you.
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

Classic Stitches in Duskwood

Timeless isle kind of had that with both NPC mobs and players. Mobs could one shot you if you didn’t dodge certain mechanics and players could creep up any time they anger. I loved the entire dynamic of timeless isle. Hell the rewards were so good people pvped with the timeless isle thing to get bloody coins. Was pretty fun.

Another thing I loved was the Molten Front. I was a lot younger during cata but I would stay in there all day with 2 other hunter friends and we’d try to tame at least 1 of the rare spawns per day. Always fights going on between guildies and other hunters trying to tame the pets. The mobs also had specific ways to be tamed or you’d die. Was a ton of fun and got my adrenaline running moreso than the fel reaver in BC.

I was a lot younger during both of these expansions though so idk if I’d be interested now. I definitely would be interested in a timeless isle reboot. As for actual things out in the world that scared me, I loved it when I was younger but now it’d just be an annoyance.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2018-07-06 at 01:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vicious, scary monsters around in quantity just causes a different style of play that relies more on avoidance than confrontation. That's fine but I think players would generally rather fight something than constantly plot a path to avoid it. A little of that goes a long way.

Vicious, scary monsters that are very difficult to kill in dungeons and raids are more a factor of what difficulty level you're playing in than anything inherent in the monster itself. If they're too hard then they are probably not tuned properly. Avoidance in dungeons/raids is fine for trash but not for bosses.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2018-07-08 at 02:28 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

You want that but sooooo many ppl cried about mob density on argus and that "their class" (aka they) can't solo every elite...

Discuss.
    Comparing Diablo and WoW is weird. Raids are designed to be trialed over and over of course there isn't a real threat cause we eventually get it. It's like saying "Oh The Void Gods are that scary as a big bad cause in Silent Hill theres this Pyramid Head dude who is super spooky."

Quote Originally Posted by Mirie View Post
    Clearly you've not been paying attention in Legion.

https://i.imgur.com/P3jNA0Q.jpg
    jesus can you put a little warning before linking terrifying shit like that?

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a few npcs in Zuldazar that I generally avoid...

This however freaked me out.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

10+ Year Old Account

Discuss.
    You're comparing apples to oranges. What discussion is there to be had?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Vicious, scary monsters around in quantity just causes a different style of play that relies more on avoidance than confrontation. That's fine but I think players would generally rather fight something than constantly plot a path to avoid it. A little of that goes a long way.

Vicious, scary monsters that are very difficult to kill in dungeons and raids are more a factor of what difficulty level you're playing in than anything inherent in the monster itself. If they're too hard then they are probably not tuned properly. Avoidance in dungeons/raids is fine for trash but not for bosses.
    Exactly. If people want to play Dark Souls, then they should go play Dark Souls instead of whining that WoW isn't more like Dark Souls.

Ugh, the idea of ending up in a group where 3 people want to avoid, one person wants to kill, and another is AFK either way... that would just be a headache.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daan View Post
    Classic Stitches in Duskwood
    Hell, classic Mor'ladim for that matter. He killed my priest so many times.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

During vanilla, as a young Forsaken warlock in Silverpine Forest, I fondly remember almost shatting my pants when I first saw a Son of Arugal. No other wandering monster can compare to the sheer terror of one of these beasts sneaking up on you. You quickly learned to keep your head on a swivel while in that zone. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.