Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orz View Post
    Ive known and complained about these companions when i heard about them and seeing this teaser my complaints seem justified.

Where is the Scifi? Where is the outer space beyond time? To me this clip couldve been a trailer for the new Eastenders episode except they used some intern to paste some Scifi shitty CGI to make us care that whats going on could destroy the universe except they have done that storyline countless times!!!
    too funny. This is a sci-fi show?

Like you observe, they are trying to appeal to a non-sci-fi audience, more than ever I guess.

this is good i guess because they can pad each episode with interpersonal drama and other activities/scenes.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Ive known and complained about these companions when i heard about them and seeing this teaser my complaints seem justified.

Where is the Scifi? Where is the outer space beyond time? To me this clip couldve been a trailer for the new Eastenders episode except they used some intern to paste some Scifi shitty CGI to make us care that whats going on could destroy the universe except they have done that storyline countless times!!!
    i think you're exaggerating.

its not even a trailer, its a small teaser to show who the 3 new companions are since aside from photos they hadnt been revealed.

companions in doctor who are almost always modern age era brits so "wheres the scifi" isnt really a valid complaint.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    after the horrible seasons with peter capaldi i gave up on this. especially the last season that went too sjw for my taste. changing the gender of the character isnt something that would bring me back to watching it sadly. i miss david tennant.
    I liked Capaldi. I didn't like the writing of the episodes with Capaldi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syriane View Post
    Indeed. Capaldi did incredibly well, all things considered. Moffat was clearly phoning it in for the last season or two... No idea how he lasted as long as he did.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syriane View Post
    feel 100% the same way, the stories were just plain bad.
    always got the impression they had this actor who could play the role anyway they wanted
    but once he was selected they didnt know what direction to take him.

started off dour and really stern, that didnt work so next series Dad having a midlife crisis complete with shades
    and electric guitar.

the writing for Missy was perfect they knew the character they knew the direction
    Moffats obsession with Clara didn't help either. when a companion is getting better lines than
    the lead actor you know there's a serious issue

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You cared enough to post.

that teaser trailer tells me nothing.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    that teaser trailer tells me nothing.
    lol its not supposed to, its not even footage from the show.

its literally just the doctor "walking through" the new companions timelines.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

so its a pointless trailer.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    so its a pointless trailer.
    its not a trailer, its a teaser showing who the new companions are, the trailer will likely be released after/during comicon

10+ Year Old Account

So, fingers crossed they don't but this tends to happen with female leads: Their characters get written as "passive actors" in the lives of others, that is, even when they're the main character, the stories focus on what everyone else is doing with the main female only providing suggestion or a nudge in a certain direction, rather than taking the lead role. The fact that The Doctor is portrayed as "just a little flash of time sparkle stuff" in the lives of others makes me concerned for the potential direction of this upcoming season.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    "just a little flash of time sparkle stuff" in the lives of others makes me concerned for the potential direction of this upcoming season.
    isnt that kind of the history of the doctor? he shows up, does a thing and then leaves and everyone remembers him like that.

i also like the idea that apparently jodie is playing the doctor as a man who has just turned into a woman and not just simply "im a girl now lol"

10+ Year Old Account
    isnt that kind of the history of the doctor? he shows up, does a thing and then leaves and everyone remembers him like that.
    In a way, yes. It depends on the impact, which I suppose is my concern. The impact of The Doctor on companions "and friends" from back when they restarted the series has been pretty dramatic. A few of them are left "where they were" like Donna, and that was fucking heartbreaking and a few of them are left fundamentally altered, I mean fuck, Amy died (in an infinite Angel time-loop), Me became an immortal unable to age, Bill is a water-time-machine-thingy, and Clara is like, stuck out of time or something.

The visuals presented seem to indicate that The Doctor's impact will be fairly minor, leaving the companion's lives much as they were before.

i also like the idea that apparently jodie is playing the doctor as a man who has just turned into a woman and not just simply "im a girl now lol"
    I hope it's hilarious and slightly cringey. Because it should be. It plays off well from when The Master regenerated to be younger in envy of The Doctor, now The Doctor is going "Hey if The Master can be a woman, so can I!" but not really knowing what they're getting themselves into. Which speaks well of the writing, since half the fun is The Doctor doing something radical without knowing what they're getting themselves info.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    The visuals presented seem to indicate that The Doctor's impact will be fairly minor, leaving the companion's lives much as they were before.
    I think you're reaching a little dude. I mean, they're not exactly going to have the Doctor walk along, stopping at each companion and says "This one dies." next companion "This one is going to go insane. Its cool, I fix it, but they're still a little broken" next companion "I hook up with this one, then it gets strained, so they leave and we don't talk anymore" etcetc.

This is just a teaser, hell, the WRITERS probably don't even know what the end destination for these characters will be, so why would they hint at it in the teasers.

I mean, look at Donna's intro, or Amy's. Was there ANY hint as to their end when they started?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Comicon Teaser (This time, with actual footage from the show. ;P)

i think you're exaggerating.

its not even a trailer, its a small teaser to show who the 3 new companions are since aside from photos they hadnt been revealed.

companions in doctor who are almost always modern age era brits so "wheres the scifi" isnt really a valid complaint.
    Iam not exaggerating cause i have seen every episode of Dr Who (even the ones that dont exist)

To me this is cheap arse writing where they need to keep cost down by making sure the companions is from this day and is human!

Remember when the doctor used to have companions who wasnt from this day and age and wasnt human?

Its cheap and uncreative to have people in 2018 to be a companion just like its cheap to have a companion from 2013 etc

This show has so much unlimited potential but they decide to have more companions from the time we live in cause the BBC is so fucking cheap and the writers is so uncreative!

Amy was just sent back in time to her lover. She lived her life and then died of old age. OK, I guess she died, but not in the sense you think of.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Iam not exaggerating cause i have seen every episode of Dr Who (even the ones that dont exist)

To me this is cheap arse writing where they need to keep cost down by making sure the companions is from this day and is human!

Remember when the doctor used to have companions who wasnt from this day and age and wasnt human?

Its cheap and uncreative to have people in 2018 to be a companion just like its cheap to have a companion from 2013 etc

This show has so much unlimited potential but they decide to have more companions from the time we live in cause the BBC is so fucking cheap and the writers is so uncreative!
    theres not many. even in classic who they were mostly modern day brits. there are outliers like leela and romana but to act like they were the norm is kind of ridiculous. would i prefer a companion from the past or the future or an alien? sure, im not gonna expect that though.

- - - Updated - - -

also heres the actual trailer

theres not many. even in classic who they were mostly modern day brits. there are outliers like leela and romana but to act like they were the norm is kind of ridiculous. would i prefer a companion from the past or the future or an alien? sure, im not gonna expect that though.

- - - Updated - - -

also heres the actual trailer

I'm pretty excited. I'm a bit worried how the 3 companions at once are going to work out, but I'll give it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I'm pretty excited. I'm a bit worried how the 3 companions at once are going to work out, but I'll give it a chance.
    i really really like jodie so far which is strange for me because for a long time i was against a female doctor. i like having a big group in the tardis, i loved when 9 had jack and rose and when 10 had mickey, and i liked when 11 and the gang all ran about.

theres something nice about having a family unit, sure the doctor and his best, secret, super special bud is cool and all but we had that with clara and bill and a bit with amy too so im glad to see a group together and we havent had one this big since classic who