Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Being an off-again/on-again player.

Anyone here an off-again/on-again player? I think I might just be.

I played very heavily during Wrath of the Lich King and early Cataclysm but I tapered off once I started college. Didn't really play much during Pandaria, missed most of that. Warlords of Draenor I gave up on due to not giving a shit. I thought I had the motivation to actually go somewhere with Legion, even leveled a new mage just for the expansion, did 1-100 in two months and got a good foothold- finished Val'sharah and got all my artifact weapons. But I lost my drive for some reason. Now I'm back and it's almost over. Again.

My account has scattered proof of "I was there when it was (almost) current". I have several of the old class quest weapons like the Whirlwind Axe, and a Sword of Omen. I've got a Bronze Drake from Heroic CoS. I have most of the 5-man DPS plate from the Dragon Soul 5-mans, which is one of my absolute favorite sets. My LFR Gaze of Arrogance is from a long-gone priest I burned a 90 boost on. And for WoD I guess I have my Iron Starlette, my Bronze Whelpling and "Of the Iron Vanguard" title. My Legion one is probably finishing all the pre-launch invasion sets and getting a few of the weapons, along with my new Demon Hunter having the warglaives from that for transmog.

I don't have any of the characters that did that stuff now, but I think BfA will be the first expansion in a while where I'll have the time/motivation to actually achieve anything. I am definitely going back through and trying out some of the older content at some point, though. I want to finish all 12 order hall campaigns and maybe see some of the older story stuff.

So is anyone else this kind of player? I think it was a simple matter of growing up for me- when I started I was a freshman in high school, now I'm an adult with a full-time job. I never really had the time to be a hardcore player and I still don't. And that's fine with me.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think I've played all expansions in 2x 3 month stints.

There is not enough content (and the repetition grows boring in a month or two) in WoW to stick around all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

No, I'm "Buy xpack when last patch is released" kind of player. Simply because x.2-x.3 - is actually the best time to start playing xpack, as all grind/RNG/time-gates and other brick walls are usually removed at that time. I usually casually play old content during all other time - transmog runs, mount runs, leveing alts, etc. Just because release of new xpack - is way too casual-unfriendly time. And I guess - it's intentional Blizzard's strategy to keep stable playerbase. Half of playerbase subs when new xpack is released, another half - when x.2 or even last patch of xpack is released.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2018-07-15 at 12:58 PM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Deleted
    Yeah, I commonly start with expansion release, play for 1-2 months then stop. Return mid-expansion for 1 month and then return again for last patch ~1-2 months. It kinda got less with all the grinding content to do, I just cared less and less. Previously I would at least grind a set or get max heroic tier-lvl-gear. But that stopped with WoD and the wf/tf system.

Also the Legion story kinda bored me... I liked Suramar but Legion theme and Argus were not my thing.

I quit the game for the first time in Wrath (argent tournament), was pretty hardcore before.

Yeah Wrath was the last expansion that I actually raided in and stuck around for. Ever since then I've stuck around for smaller and smaller amounts of time after launch. For Legion I pretty much hit max, got geared up to raid, and then decided I just wasn't feeling it. I did come back briefly during the Argus launch, but that lasted probably two weeks before I got bored again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    There is not enough content (and the repetition grows boring in a month or two) in WoW to stick around all the time.
    Pretty much how I feel these days.
    I was constantly active from early TBC till near the end of Legion, ever since then I hop in for a month, do all the non raid story content (LFR included) and then let the account lapse.

Deleted
    The repetativenes is what destroys it after a few months for me. Plus there's great games coming on ps4 as well (fallout, red dead redemption 2).

I was actually gonna cancel my preorder but can't cause I did the allied race quests. Fuckers.

Due to having a family I can’t play as much as I did before but I usually focus on the start of the expansion and then my time spent drops to just showing up for raids two days a week.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    I was actually gonna cancel my preorder but can't cause I did the allied race quests. Fuckers.
    I cancelled my preorder with max level allied races and a boosted char. All it happens was, until I purchased BfA again, those 3 chars were locked.

Deleted
    if youre not into any organized group content, then just buying 1 month of time every major patch is a pretty good bang for buck way to play the game. with modern catch up mechanisms you don't lose out on a lot at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki son of Kratos View Post
    I cancelled my preorder with max level allied races and a boosted char. All it happens was, until I purchased BfA again, those 3 chars were locked.
    Ticketed my refund. Let's see what happens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Ticketed my refund. Let's see what happens.
    No, just cancel through paypal (or whatever method you used to pay for it), Blizz will not refund it unless it is forced to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki son of Kratos View Post
    No, just cancel through paypal (or whatever method you used to pay for it), Blizz will not refund it unless it is forced to.
    Can't refund direct debits.

I think it's up to the what kind of person are you. There are people who get highly invested in what they are doing and put a lot of effort into being good at it. They achieve a lot and quickly, but they also get burned out quickly because of how much effort it costs them. And they make a break. Sometimes they come back, put a lot of effort again, get burned out again and so on.

And then there are people who are more casual on stuff like this, they don't put a lot of effort, but they don't expect much either. They don't burned out and may play without longer breaks.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by xindralol View Post
    Aren't we all!
    Nope. I have played continuously every day since I started in TBC.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    Interesting observation considering the fact Greg Street always talked about engaged players being the more loyal ones.
    But both types can be engaged and loyal. I think the "engagement" he talked about is something different than striving to achieve all in the game. You can be engaged in the game and still be a casual player - have friends in game, have the game itself being your hobby (not just another game to play), have some long-term goals, but not spend 10h / day working on them. And at the same time you can be a hardcore player spending all free time in the game, trying to achieve the top. And once you do you get bored of the game, quit, find some other game and never come back.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

I have turned into that kind of player with time, though I probably stick around more than not, I also take breaks now when I stop having things I want to pursue. It also came along with not being in a raiding guild anymore, so the time I spend now is entirely free which I have grown to like

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    Nope. I have played continuously every day since I started in TBC.
    =)

(if you’re being serious I’m impressed !)

Quote Originally Posted by xindralol View Post
    =)

(if you’re being serious I’m impressed !)
    Yes I'm serious. lol
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.