"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so, a short series, but I watched Aho Girl. This show goes from very funny to incredibly stupid really quickly. And of course most of that is Yoshiko. She's special. And I don't mean that in a good way. The jokes are very hit and miss, and her constant loud voice is irritating. I did like how the opening had a little mini-story going each time, and every time it was different. But I think the show could have been better if they just dialed back Yoshiko's stupidity and did more with the whole cast.

I also watched a show literally called Stupid Girl and complained about it being about a stupid girl and not a philosophical journey of Nieztchian dread.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Currently watching Hyouka.

It's alright. The story isn't all that interesting; there are artsy shot compositions here and there, but it doesn't make up for the overall lack of engagement. Props to the dub team though; they took an otherwise boring anime and made it FUN to just listen to; they really sound like friends and you can hear the details in the VA's voices when they were recording. It's those moments like when you hear his lips "snap" because he hasn't spoken in a while and his lips were stuck together, or the inflection in their voices when their implying something else. Not to keen on the fanservice though; kind of hard to take the show seriously when it does that.

I don't buy Oreki as a lifeguard though. I don't know if pool culture is different in Japan, but being a lifeguard in America kind of sucks. The sheer ignorance exuded by pool goers is astounding. Doesn't matter whether or not you force the kids to read the rules before they enter the pool or how many times you tell them; they will run along the edge of the water, and then someone slips and cracks their head on the concrete and you get blamed for it. Then you have the kids who rush up to the slide or the diving board and injure themselves simply getting on it, or those who don't jump far enough away from the board and get nicked by it as they fall into the water. You have kids apparently shoving each other in the water and you don't know if that kid who hasn't surfaced yet simply has a lot of breath or if he's in trouble. If you intervene and he's fine, you look stupid and you're sweatier then ever having rushed out of your chair in the sun to check it out, or you've created a scene by ruining people's fun. Never enough water to drink while waiting, and it's hot. Oh, and if you upset the customers, you're easily replaceable...
    I rate this manga about being a lifeguard 2/10, the MC is way too whiny.

On an unrelated note Hyouka is actually pretty good.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2018-07-18 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    [IMG]https://78.media.tumblr.com/c58f0f04d154b55d226db1d30e2e629f/tumblr_n50nvsUjvW1qe3ciho1_500.gif[IMG]
    Sharo!

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Sharo!
    [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/TAp1FGW.gif[MG]

Hyouka is great.

Finished it last night. I thought it was "fine". The interactions of the four are entertaining on a surface level, and that's about it. Typical for a Kyoto show. The way Oreki solved the mystery during the school festival was a stretch (though it was obvious who it was simply by his nonchalant yet playful interaction).

I guess at this point I mind as well watch the other popular highschool shows: Toradora, Full Metal Panic, and Haruhi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

I guess at this point I mind as well watch the other popular highschool shows: Toradora, Full Metal Panic, and Haruhi.
    Haruhi is only gonna be good if you like total asshole MC's. Watched Full Metal panic a long time ago, so long I don't remember it enough to say anything about it, other than I remember it being really funny. Toradora is the one of the best shows...ever. There is a reason it's the quintessential romantic comedy.

If MAL Graph was working, this would be much easier, but more need-to-watch school-based shows: K-On!, The Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Interviews with Monster Girls (maybe more of a personal choice), Haganai (another surely personal choice), Gabriel Dropout, Yuru Yuri.

If you found Hyouka boring it's just an indicator that you should stick to shounenshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hyouka is a masterpiece

10+ Year Old Account
    Hyouka was prime KyoAni era. It's the second best show they made. Speaking of Toradora (that I mentioned last post), on a rewatch of it for the third time. Still absolutely the best. Just finished the Christmas episodes, which are easily the most bawl-inducing. Also finished Recovery of an MMO Junkie for the second time. Morioka is still an amazing character. Carries the shit out of the show.

10+ Year Old Account
    >Not loving Chitanda

10+ Year Old Account
    Valkyrie Drive - Mermaid

So, a virus that girls get sends them off to an island to be quarantined. That's a neat idea, right. Wait. Did I mention that the virus gives them Soul Eater type abilities that turns some of them into weapons, and the others control them, and they transform by having an orgasm? Because that's kind of important. Yes, this is the most hentai show that isn't a hentai that I've seen. And it goes beyond the transformations. The show makes a point to show the characters nude as much as possible. One scene involves two girls casually talking, yet they're completely naked on a bed and in a sixty-nine pose. So yeah. This is gratuitous, nude lesbian times.

Except there's actually a decent story behind all that. Interesting, unique characters, surprisingly decent action, and a mystery involving the island and why it's there. A corrupt leadership to fight, even a trap. Yes, some of the transformations and abilities are kind of convoluted with the whole concept of how it works, but it's all in good fun. No one really complains about Fairy Tail and how friendship wins there, so a similar thing here can't be bad. ... Oh wait, they DO complain about that? Oh well. 6/10, if you don't mind the massive amounts of basically hentai, it's a watchable show.

And now it seems I gotta watch Re;Zero to find out why everybody loves Rem.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2018-07-20 at 03:47 AM.

she's just a waifubait character

Ghost in the Shell 1995 - 5/10 (average)

Having just finished reading the original manga, I was disappointed in the film. Not disappointed in the way I was with the Stand Alone Complex anime I dropped three years ago, or the live action adaptation with Scarlet Johansson last year, but disappointed in how it missed the mark, disappointed in how dull it was. It's amazing to see how Ghost in the Shell appears in the popular conscious as some sort of deep, high art story about the nature of humanity and the soul, but in actuality the original manga is basically a black comedy about overzealous operatives who are having way too much fun with their jobs blowing hostiles up, being condescending towards civilians, and disrespecting authority, with a side plot about their silly robot slaves plotting to rise up and start the robot rights revolution. Yes folks, the Ghost in the Shell franchise is a victim of Warhammer 40k syndrome.

Watching the film was tedious. The character's souls had been sucked dry in the adaptation, having been transformed from delightfully entertaining characters to bland mouthpieces for exposition. The film spends more time expositing about the metaphysical ideas that were observed in the manga than actually demonstrating those ideas in action, and unlike the Fate series, it's not thought provoking or a form of story progression. I never realized until now how bland the protagonist, Matoko Kusanagi, was outside the manga: they're two completely different characters, and I need not explain which one has more depth. No, speaking in an unemotive and monotonous voice for ninety minutes doesn't make for a compelling character. There is also very little story here, with the bulk of the scenes having been cut. Ultimately feels like a very dry adaptation that missed the point. I'd give it a lower score if it wasn't for the art and the animation.

>watches dubs
    >complains about bad voice acting

>watches dubs
    That's plebs for ya :P

10+ Year Old Account
    >watches dubs
    Every Japanese voice actor is flawless and never has a bad performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    thanks for the agreement

fmp IV 12 sign me up for the Tessa fan club too!

apparently a teaser trailer for eva 4 was shown before Mirai no Mirai with a 2020 release date
    Last edited by bals; 2018-07-20 at 07:34 AM.