View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    perhaps some business will stay in the UK, perhaps some will move to the EU. Uk is an attractive place for some business, but being outside of the custom unions would be very damaging for some company.

Perhaps even more damaging for the UK economy is that foreign investment will dramatically slow down if the UK leave the custom unions. British government can offset that by offering some tax exemptions or similar deals, but that would hurt the UK income.
    The problem is they have nothing in place to offset losing access to the single market and being on WTO rules with the world, they have not enough staff to enforce customs at their ports and they have no solution to the irish border problem.

I mean, sure we all can entertain the thought that well it won't be that bad, but nothing, nothing that has been posted here would explain how it won't be bad because every scenario as far as I've seen includes at least some form of agreement with the EU.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    labour's plans for nationalisation are based on buying the industries at a value set by government rather than market value. you cannot do this while in the ECJ, they would not allow it.

labour also plan to change the rules surrounding land value and buying land for house building, currently a person is able to sell land for the market value it would be post-build of any site(s). under labour's proposal the government would be allowed to buy the land for the current value at the time, which would naturally be a fraction of the cost.

these are popular policies and they can only be achieved if we're out of the eu.
    Those aren't popular policies.

If you don't understand what's wrong about the government buying businesses and land, at set prices, that it itself sets, then there's no hope for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Those aren't popular policies.

If you don't understand what's wrong about the government buying businesses and land, at set prices, that it itself sets, then there's no hope for you.
    considering LAB got 40% of the vote share in 2017, and right now are polling 5 pts above the Conservatives (and their policies haven't changed re: nationalisation), yes, they are actually very popular.

considering LAB got 40% of the vote share in 2017, and right now are polling 5 pts above the Conservatives (and their policies haven't changed re: nationalisation), yes, they are actually very popular.
    I would say this is more indictment of how unpopular May and the Tories currently are than an endorsement of Labour's policies.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    When the Labour government needs Floopa's house to build a road and buys it for 10 quid, by their logic it's ok!
    That's totally fair and fine. And if they need his house because they want government officials to live there, then that's also fine.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

That's because this Tory government is basically more unpopular than Major's government in the mid 90s.

If the Labour leader was popular (Corbyn really isn't outside of his core) then Labour right now would be around 50% taking away from centrist Tories, Lib Dems and maybe even SNP.

Right now we have a Tory party imploding on intself with Reese-Mog side of the Tory party resigning from posts when things don't seem extreme enough. The other side having people resign when it is considered slightly too extreme. People may want renationalisation. But they're not going to support "Here's £10 for 100 miles of land now fuck off." that you're wanting. Labour supporters want Democratic Social policies not fucking Communism.

Deleted
    I'm not Dribbles, I don't buy the % support for a political party being a tacit support for a particularly policy of that party.

Try harder.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...l-brexit-fears

and so it begins....

“The white paper is not going to form the basis of the negotiations,” one senior EU diplomat told the Guardian. British government sources, in the wake of the latest talks, admitted growing despair over what they regard as the intransigence of their EU counterparts.

Et tu, Barnier ?
    Senior sources in Brussels said, however, that the reluctance to speak out was due to the clear indication from the UK negotiating team that a full-blooded rejection of the paper would likely prove an existential threat to Theresa May’s premiership, and hasten the collapse of the talks.

So not only mutiny among Tories but Barnier also is able to kill May's career now ? 48h until Barnier gives a verdict on friday and if it happens and happens bad, tomorrow already.

the white paper is trashbin IMHO, time to call Adele to perform her academy awarded song very soon™:

This is the end
    Hold your breath and count to ten
    Feel the earth move and then
    Hear my heart burst again
    For this is the end
    I’ve drowned and dreamt this moment
    So overdue I owe them
    Swept away, I’m stolen
    Let the sky fall
    When it crumbles
    We will stand tall
    Face it all together

Wow, JRM is a right old cock, isn't he? He could be a poster on this forum. I'm just watching him try to spin the whole Irish border problem as if the EU wanted to be obtuse and just ruin the fun for everyone. What the hell...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Head negotiator on EU said is telling EU governments to prepare for a hard brexit.

Man it's going to suck having a crumbling country next door.

They've sent out these messages for over a week now, I believe. Pretty much instantly after May introduced her paper. Funny commentary I read somewhere in a paper... Apparently Barnier's already got the mission to reject that paper (obvious to most of us why). What's interesting is that he's not made any public statement about it, because the EU is afraid that it would cost May her job and thus throw the UK into utter chaos, preventing any further sensible negotiation for the time being and thus cementing a hard Brexit.

#thankscameron
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    They've sent out these messages for over a week now, I believe. Pretty much instantly after May introduced her paper. Funny commentary I read somewhere in a paper... Apparently Barnier's already got the mission to reject that paper (obvious to most of us why). What's interesting is that he's not made any public statement about it, because the EU is afraid that it would cost May her job and thus throw the UK into utter chaos, preventing any further sensible negotiation for the time being and thus cementing a hard Brexit.

#thankscameron
    so UK will blame Barnier and EU and everybody else, as usual.
    but the meeting with the new Brexit minister is due now and Barnier cannot dance around the issue. And he will not, May is on fire within the next 2 days.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the current UK government falls apart there won't be time for any deal other than either remaining in the EU for the large part and complying or a hard brexit. Hurt the economy on both end.

What will set such bad blood that the UK rejoining is going to be political suicide on the EU side.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    so UK will blame Barnier and EU and everybody else, as usual.
    but the meeting with the new Brexit minister is due now and Barnier cannot dance around the issue. And he will not, May is on fire within the next 2 days.
    This week is certainly looking to be a decisive one in these negotiations. I'm curious how the EU actually reacts (a lot is just hearsay right now, so can't be trusted 100%) and how May will be able to handle the situation. So far, she's been quite the lion's tamer.

In my head, I like to think that at some point she's sitting alone in the house of commons with the Speaker, because everyone else resigned in protest. And then she has a vote and raises a hand for hard Brexit and the other one for a soft Brexit. Just to reflect how fucking divided the country is. :P

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    how fast can UK pull a new election out of thin air ? you cannot negotiate anything because it will be to late, but UK needs a working cabinet to lead the country into whatever sort of Brexit happens

- - - Updated - - -

This week is certainly looking to be a decisive one in these negotiations. I'm curious how the EU actually reacts (a lot is just hearsay right now, so can't be trusted 100%) and how May will be able to handle the situation. So far, she's been quite the lion's tamer.

In my head, I like to think that at some point she's sitting alone in the house of commons with the Speaker, because everyone else resigned in protest. And then she has a vote and raises a hand for hard Brexit and the other one for a soft Brexit. Just to reflect how fucking divided the country is. :P
    Commons will murder her before, but what IS she really gambling for ? May should know Barnier will decline most of the white paper, setting her back at square 1.
    so why this charade ?

Commons will murder her before, but what IS she really gambling for ? May should know Barnier will decline most of the white paper, setting her back at square 1.
    so why this charade ?
    Well, there are several things that came to my naive mind a long time ago: 1. Just... actionism. Do something, do a lot of something. When it fails, go "Oh well, I tried...", call the whole business off and tell the folks at home that it can't be done, or 2. Hope that the EU will somehow throw all its principles and core values under the bus just so a few hundred thousand in NI won't riot. Perhaps even 3. Hope that everything magically solves itself at the last second... that's what always happens to political drama, innit?

15+ Year Old Account
    so why this charade ?
    My best guess, because she still has to sell this clusterfuck to her citizens.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    My best guess, because she still has to sell this clusterfuck to her citizens.
    oh, she tried very hard so far. but her time runs short now, she will not survive the month IMHO.

Well, there are several things that came to my naive mind a long time ago: 1. Just... actionism. Do something, do a lot of something. When it fails, go "Oh well, I tried...", call the whole business off and tell the folks at home that it can't be done, or 2. Hope that the EU will somehow throw all its principles and core values under the bus just so a few hundred thousand in NI won't riot. Perhaps even 3. Hope that everything magically solves itself at the last second... that's what always happens to political drama, innit?
    She has been hoping that the horse will sing for the last year. And it hasn't.

Or would that be a unicorn?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Deleted
    May says 70 "technical notices" for businesses and households will be published in Aug and Sept setting out how we can all prepare for a no-deal Brexit (should that be what happens). https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1019594403525136384

How the fuck will the electorate react when they get a note through the door saying 'dont book a trip abroad in summer 2019 incase there is no deal'.