Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Permadeath and survival might be different but resources really are not rare. Plutonium is common where even if someone takes your node it won't be a big issue. Some planets have less but others do not. And it is easy enough to buy it. The update implies trading will be a thing so you can always trade for the plutonium. Despite all of the additions the game very much is the same.

If you didn't like it before you won't like it now. Exploring and building with others is a shared experience. That is how co-op/multiplayer improves the game. It doesn't need to be complicated. It doesn't need to be complex. Considering people were already doing this shows that the active players of NMS will make use of these new features. And that is enough of an improvement.
    You haven't actually explained how you think multiplayer will make the game better. Saying it's a shared experience is merely stating a fact. I'm not saying it won't improve the experience, I just don't see how farming for resources in a group and looking at other people's bases is going to make this game so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Can drop all the patches it wants. Ain't getting my money.

SNIP...
    Sadly, thats where I'm at as well.

They are a company and should be held acountable like any company making a product to certain standards. HG and sean came across more like a shady used car salesman than a small company trying to make an honest product.

I just can't spend my money on a company that did what sean and hg did. Not at this time anyway.
    Last edited by quras; 2018-07-18 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    They are really weird with hyping this up, the only thing highlighted in the trailer was 3rd person, graphics overhaul, and multiplayer, even though apparently there is tons of new content in the game.
    One of which should have been in the game at launch and wasn't I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Sadly, thats where I'm at as well.

They are a company and should be held acountable like any company making a product to certain standards. HG and sean came across more like a shady used car salesman than a small company trying to make an honest product.

I just can't spend my money on a company that did what sean and hg did. Not at this time anyway.
    NMS deserved the outrage at launch but plenty of bigger companies have done just as bad. The difference is NMS devs stuck it out and kept improving where others would have just abandoned it(mass effect andromeda).

Wow, this looks almost as good as the trailer for the original game! I wonder if this trailer was 99% bullshit just like that one was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    If you're on PC or PS4 you can already pick it up pretty cheap. I believe the PS4 version is already under 20 bucks ATM.
    It was on Steam Summer Sale also, I got it for like 25 EUR specifically for this patch, since I played it pirated before and I liked it.
    Now it's 55 EUR.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    You haven't actually explained how you think multiplayer will make the game better. Saying it's a shared experience is merely stating a fact. I'm not saying it won't improve the experience, I just don't see how farming for resources in a group and looking at other people's bases is going to make this game so much better.
    You aren't saying it won't improve the experience but ask me to say how it will improve the experience. If you know it improves it. I know it improves it. What more is there that needs to be said? Actual shared experiences will improve the game for all of those that are trying to create shared experiences. I see though that you are just looking for a way to hate the game with out being overtly aggressive.

If you don't see it that is fine. You asked how. I stated how. The goal isn't to improve the game for those who already don't see a point but to improve the game for those who do see a point.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    You can also shoot/hunt other players... and given your posting I'm assuming you're that kinda player. :P

And, yes, you can also dogfight in spaceships as well.

They're also apparently expanding the racing tracks you can create that they added in Pathfinder with the ground exocraft - so there's that to do as well.

Also, not sure if you saw the other notes - but the bases can be built anywhere now, and you can make/own multiple bases. You can do anything you want. build a farm specializing in item production, build a fun base.

Also Freighters are getting expanded, where apparently you can own a fleet of frigates and customize your own "Capital" ship that you can command/lead your frigate fleet to do.

Oh, and btw, that was a just teaser trailer - they haven't revealed everything yet, which they never do until patch day and reveal the patch video. So I'm fully expecting more than just the player models/multiplayer/base expansions/frigates. ^_^

One of which should have been in the game at launch and wasn't I might add.
    Of course, I don't really care though, I didn't buy this game so I wasn't scammed, NMS is a pretty decent game now from what I hear and if Next refines it and makes it great then I will totally buy it. They fucked up hard at launch but they clearly did a good job fixing their mess.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    NMS deserved the outrage at launch but plenty of bigger companies have done just as bad. The difference is NMS devs stuck it out and kept improving where others would have just abandoned it(mass effect andromeda).
    I really don't think they had much of a choice given sony stepping in and getting some of the heat from HG and sean's lies.

They had the cash. Sold their game on their own built up hype and lies but still had the cash.

Seems it took two additional years to just get it to a place that was even near their original hype pitch. However, them sticking around and continuing to patch the game doesn't win them any awards in my book.

You don't get a second chance at first impressions and I don't easily let video game companies off the hook for lying and selling a game on those lies even if they try to make things better years later. Who in their right mind would buy a game hoping that in two years it will be what they sold it to you as?

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Wow, this looks almost as good as the trailer for the original game! I wonder if this trailer was 99% bullshit just like that one was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M
    I doubt it, if you followed NMS at all after launch you would know they released a lot of free content updates that often had way more than they announced instead of way less, I guess they decided to completely switch that around then. Either way I can at least appreciate the effort that went into saving this game.
    Diablo Bore.

Of course, I don't really care though, I didn't buy this game so I wasn't scammed, NMS is a pretty decent game now from what I hear and if Next refines it and makes it great then I will totally buy it. They fucked up hard at launch but they clearly did a good job fixing their mess.
    Yeah nor did I.

But still a hard pass for me. This is a game that intentionally lied about features planned for launch.

Can drop all the patches it wants. Ain't getting my money.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not really hard or something worthwhile saying it's better than SC. That's like saying Duke Nukem Forever was better than Daikatana. I mean yeah but barely.

I mean yes SC is bad but that doesn't excuse the 2 years of a mess it took to make this somewhat decent. Which is still subjective.
    It's just a game dude. Nothing wrong with giving it a chance, just because the game was bad at launch doesn't mean it can't be better. You can be petty and refuse to try it out if you want but you've got to at least appreciate that they're trying to right their wrongs. SC has been promising people the world for years and have delivered only a small fraction of that content, NMS gave people a false idea of what the game was going to be but have been trying to add in what people have been asking for since launch, with little to no real benefit to themselves other than to repair their reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    It's just a game dude. Nothing wrong with giving it a chance, just because the game was bad at launch doesn't mean it can't be better. You can be petty and refuse to try it out if you want but you've got to at least appreciate that they're trying to right their wrongs. SC has been promising people the world for years and have delivered only a small fraction of that content, NMS gave people a false idea of what the game was going to be but have been trying to add in what people have been asking for since launch, with little to no real benefit to themselves other than to repair their reputation.
    It's also nice that every update to NMS has been free I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah nor did I.

But still a hard pass for me. This is a game that intentionally lied about features planned for launch.
    If Next makes NMS a good space adventure game, I will 100% play it with my friends, regardless of HG history.
    Diablo Bore.

I do give them credit for trying to mend the damage they caused. However the damage would not have existed if they hadn't caused it in the first place.

It's also nice that every update to NMS has been free I believe.
    Yeah I believe so which is pretty cool, they'd have crashed and burned even harder than they did if they tried to charge people anything but still good on them for not even trying. I really think NMS could have the potential to be as good as Subnautica was, which usually isn't my type of game but is one that I enjoyed immensely.

- - - Updated - - -

I do give them credit for trying to mend the damage they caused. However the damage would not have existed if they hadn't caused it in the first place.
    To be fair, I doubt HG was the big bad that lied to their players. I'd guess that they had some marketing reps with really bad ideas as well as having Sony pressuring them to finish the game so they could deliver their product to the people sooner. Every time I've seen Murray talk he's seemed to genuinely care about the game, but for every person in a company that truly cares about what they do there's two others that only care about the profits.

Yeah I believe so which is pretty cool, they'd have crashed and burned even harder than they did if they tried to charge people anything but still good on them for not even trying. I really think NMS could have the potential to be as good as Subnautica was, which usually isn't my type of game but is one that I enjoyed immensely.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, I doubt HG was the big bad that lied to their players. I'd guess that they had some marketing reps with really bad ideas as well as having Sony pressuring them to finish the game so they could deliver their product to the people sooner. Every time I've seen Murray talk he's seemed to genuinely care about the game, but for every person in a company that truly cares about what they do there's two others that only care about the profits.
    It was Sean Murray who said there would be multiplayer at the start......

They did lie. You can spin it how you want. Sean Murray and HG lied about multiple features that were planned for launch that are either in the game later on or just coming now.

I'm not buying it out of pettiness. I'm not buying it because I don't want another game for that collection I currently play at the moment. The whole debacle of it's initial release is a minor point.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-07-19 at 02:00 AM.

Personally I find it incredibly childish to refuse to buy/play a game out of principle. Nobody is going to give you a medal because you've stood by your moral stance against Hello Games. If you think the game is worth your money, buy it. If you don't, don't. But the actual, tangible product should be the only factor in your decision.

If a company makes a shit game, they'll be punished for it. And Hello Games was punished for it. The game has since improved, but if you don't think it's worth the money (or think it's just not for you), that's cool. Continuing to refuse to buy it purely because of years old marketing/video game politics, in spite of the fact you may actually like the game, is absurd. You're not proving anything, you're only screwing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Caaethil View Post
    Personally I find it incredibly childish to refuse to buy/play a game out of principle. Nobody is going to give you a medal because you've stood by your moral stance against Hello Games. If you think the game is worth your money, buy it. If you don't, don't. But the actual, tangible product should be the only factor in your decision.

If a company makes a shit game, they'll be punished for it. And Hello Games was punished for it. The game has since improved, but if you don't think it's worth the money (or think it's just not for you), that's cool. Continuing to refuse to buy it purely because of years old marketing/video game politics, in spite of the fact you may actually like the game, is absurd. You're not proving anything, you're only screwing yourself.
    Again it's a minor point. Two major points for me right now would be that I still don't think it's worth my money personally and that I have too many games like it on a pile that need to be played.

I already have Subnautica and a bunch of others piling up that I need to get started with. If this game does genuinely get good then maybe when it's in a discount bin at my local shop I'll consider it. And by discount I'm talking £5-10 at most.

It was Sean Murray who said there would be multiplayer at the start......

They did lie. You can spin it how you want. Sean Murray and HG lied about multiple features that were planned for launch that are either in the game later on or just coming now.

I'm not buying it out of pettiness. I'm not buying it because I don't want another game for that collection I currently play at the moment. The whole debacle of it's initial release is a minor point.
    I suppose we just have differing opinions. I'm willing to give them a chance, there's some real potential for NMS right now imo.