Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A similar solution will be comparable to how Microsoft handled the internet explorer case.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Except you can solve contractual problems by using software to turn of problematic features. It's not that hard.
    So, Google wants to turn off the Play store for Europe? LOL

Your logic is so childlike...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    So, Google wants to turn off the Play store for Europe? LOL

Your logic is so childlike...
    You'll have to ask them for the specifics. They may turn off some parts of it for Europe.

You'll have to ask them for the specifics. They may turn off some parts of it for Europe.
    No, they won't. That's their cashcow for Android. Why do you think they're abusing their monopoly? That's the cool thing about antitrust cases. When you punish them, you can rely on one thing, they will not stop selling their product.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

7+ Year Old Account
    No, they won't. That's their cashcow for Android. Why do you think they're abusing their monopoly? That's the cool thing about antitrust cases. When you punish them, you can rely on one thing, they will not stop selling their product.
    If you want an extra $4 billion in revenue periodically then Google won't stop selling their product. As long as the EU spreads out their "punishment" over time then both sides will be fine.

If you want an extra $4 billion in revenue periodically then Google won't stop selling their product. As long as the EU spreads out their "punishment" over time then both sides will be fine.
    The EU doesn't live or die on those 4 billion. The 4 billion aren't even the point. The point is that this is a precursor to the 90 day limit and 5% revenue fine. That one, my friend, is indefinitely or until they decide to ramp it up. Little preview: We're already thinking of breaking Google up here.

All of this isn't meant to "generate Revenue", although I understand that your American viewpoint is rather limited in that regard. The actual goal here is to change the behaviour of Google. Permanently. Once they do that, we're good.

Just to drive this into your brain: The EU doesn't need the money. This isn't a response to tariffs. This has been years in the making. This is not about money. This isn't because we're poor and need to swindle money out of the US. If you understand nothing else, try to at least understand that this is a corrective measure because a company misbehaved and we're now asking them, rather nicely I might add, to change their behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    Google’s a business. The EU is entitled to pass any law they like. Google will remain a business option in the EU as long as it’s profitable to them. As soon as loss from taxes/fines becomes possible to negate profit, Google will leave the EU. Then the EU would be fucked. Short of copyright violation, there’s no way to create a European Google. The algorithm and research is proprietary.

Google blocks European IPs for a day, and watch the EU change its tune. Google is the real power here.
    First, Google wouldn't go nuclear on this. Second, there are alternatives. Once an entire continent jumps ship, because Google ceases to service the EU, search engines like Bing or Yelp wouldn't mind picking up the mantle and getting some serious business. At all.

Nope. Google won't pull out of the EU. They make too much money here. Way too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Android came with Chrome installed is the offense? Like people can't install Firefox or Opera in like 30 seconds time?
    That's literally what got MS in hot water re: Explorer. So it'd be hypocrisy not to hold Google to the same standard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    Google blocks European IPs for a day, and watch the EU change its tune. Google is the real power here.
    Won't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    That's literally what got MS in hot water re: Explorer. So it'd be hypocrisy not to hold Google to the same standard.
    While the EU rightly points out that this is about Google and not other companies, CNBC raised a valid question... what about Apple? Not as a whataboutism, but rather... are they next? Should they be next?

Let's fine Redhat next: how dare they pre-install Firefox without providing an alternative?

While the EU rightly points out that this is about Google and not other companies, CNBC raised a valid question... what about Apple? Not as a whataboutism, but rather... are they next? Should they be next?
    Because they bundle Safari?

Kind of prompts the question: is it a monopoly if nobody uses it? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post

You also keep thinking that the EU can't produce such a company or that said competitor can't be from the US also.
    I'm kind of waiting for the EU to catch up in the tech industry. What is taking you guys so long?

To borrow the title from a Carpenter's song, “We've only just begun.”

Just like the Microsoft case in 2006, Google will appeal.

Just like Microsoft in 2012, the case will be decided years later and the fine reduced.

Just like Microsoft, Google will pay the fine and life will go on.

To borrow another Carpenter's song, "Yesterday Once More."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I'm kind of waiting for the EU to catch up in the tech industry. What is taking you guys so long?
    Start ups here move to the US since the climate regards to taxes more friendly. The price you pay for caring about your worker class.

The other side is the big tech giants tend to buy out companies for such large sums many gladly let them do it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think apple is a big offender on a lot of fronts regards to consumer rights. Maybe a much larger case is in the making.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Not how this works but it would be a waste trying to explain it to you.
    What do you mean a non profit organization isn't the same as a billion dollar multinational!

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Let's fine Redhat next: how dare they pre-install Firefox without providing an alternative?
    If Red Hat had a major mobile phone platform I suppose it might be held to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Despite some of the usual juvenile US defensive corner coments in this thread, as others pointed out EU actually take consumer protection and antri-trust laws seriously.
    As others pointed out EU is equal to US in terms of market revenue so I guess the comments such as "Hah, let Google pull out of EU and see what happens" are as utter moronic as usual.

Another fun fact is that the entity behind bringing Googles practice up with EU agencies in the first place include Microsoft and Oracle.
    This will be appealed by Google as the last fine which is still not yet concluded so no reason to jump to conclusions yet.

Usually it ends up with the US tech giants bending down and doing changes. We saw the same brain dead comments by posters here in regards to Microsoft browser, Googles last EU fine, GDPR etc.
    The tech companies simply tend to comply in the end while EU might also alter their demands a bit.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Can't tell which part of the usual "businesses forced to play fairly will just move elsewhere" talking point is worse:

1) The fact that businesses can't play fairly to earn their revenue without threatening like a child throwing a tantrum to move elsewhere
    2) or that people cheer on the anti-trust practices while knowing the victims of said practices are them.

Maybe that's why many entities are unscrupulous, because they were invited by their customers to do so.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Because they bundle Safari?

Kind of prompts the question: is it a monopoly if nobody uses it? :P
    Nah, the question is if Apple is shady with their iTunes store. I don't have Apple, so I don't know.

Deleted
    Good, good...one step further from the Druuge and the Crimson Corporation