View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    May says 70 "technical notices" for businesses and households will be published in Aug and Sept setting out how we can all prepare for a no-deal Brexit (should that be what happens). https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1019594403525136384

How the fuck will the electorate react when they get a note through the door saying 'dont book a trip abroad in summer 2019 incase there is no deal'.
    I imagine that most will not be best pleased. This last week or so is increasingly looking like a stroke of political genius by May... it's that or utter incompetence... I just can't make up my mind which.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Man it's going to suck having a crumbling country next door.
    The schadenfreude is strong in this one.

May says 70 "technical notices" for businesses and households will be published in Aug and Sept setting out how we can all prepare for a no-deal Brexit (should that be what happens). https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1019594403525136384

How the fuck will the electorate react when they get a note through the door saying 'dont book a trip abroad in summer 2019 incase there is no deal'.
    Ah, interesting. That'll be the first time the simple man can see part of the consequences he voted for (if he is a Brexiteer). And the other half (Remainers) can wave those leaflets in front of their friends and blame them properly for it. Good times, looking forward to the next 2 months.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Yes, well.. it's hard not to be. The alternative would be I-Told-You-Soism.

Oh heck, we can do both. Why be stingy...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post

I know, Slant - but we've already had this discussion...

It just pisses me off.

You know, fundamentally, we're probably all here because at some point or another we've played WoW.

For all I know, I may have been guilded with the schadenfreude-loving Belgian above. Now he / she's baying for our blood?

Yep - cheers.

Edit... it's not the way forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    [url]the white paper is trashbin IMHO, time to call Adele to perform her academy awarded song very soon™
    Adele?

Not nearly strong enough, I'd suggest The Doors:

This is the end
    Beautiful friend
    This is the end
    My only friend
    The end

skip to the [Bridge]

Come on baby, take a chance with us
    And meet me at the back of the blue bus
    Of the blue bus, on the blue bus, on the blue bus
    Come on yeah
    Fuck, fuck
    Fuck fuck, fuck, fuck
    Come on baby, fuck me baby yeah
    Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck
    Come on baby, fuck me baby
    Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck
    Come on
    Fuck fuck
    Alright
    Fuck fuck
    Kill, kill, kill, kill

I know, Slant - but we've already had this discussion...

It just pisses me off.

You know, fundamentally, we're probably all here because at some point or another we've played WoW.

For all I know, I may have been guilded with the schadenfreude-loving Belgian above. Now he / she's baying for our blood?

Yep - cheers.

Edit... it's not the way forward.
    Dude, did you actually think the UK going "Fuck you, we're out! And while we do that, we'll keep our dick in your gf, too!" would go down well with the rest of Europe? Seriously, what reaction do you expect?

Just the best of, I'm speaking from the supposed British viewpoint now:

1. We'll scratch anything that we don't like, reintroduce border controls and generally do away with any rules we don't like.
    2. We will reject European jurisdiction over the rules that we deem acceptable.
    3. We expect the EU to conform to our ideas and solve the problem of Northern Ireland for us.
    4. Preferably, that solution would involve the UK having free reign on the international trade market, while also having free access to the single market.
    5. EU complaints that we are now the sole entry point to the EU and can snatch up any profit on the way that we like have to cease immediately.

Please, tell me that any of those things haven't at some point demanded by the UK. No, I am on the continent, I don't give a shit who's Remainer or Brexiteer. That is what it looks like from our side. Absolut petulant and arrogant behaviour. But that is not enough, the UK again and again points the finger at the EU and blames us for it? They have blamed the EU for pretty much 40 years. The culmination being that we're somehow stealing their sovereignity and enrich ourselves on their cost.

Enough is enough. I'm done with righteous people telling me that the UK don't deserve the most ridicule that a German can bring. I just wish our papers would sink to your papers standards, you'd have fun reading them before the next football game. Talk about holding a grudge. Nah man, you can take it. You can take a lot more of this. You've had your fun for 70 years at our expense, it's time to turn the table now, methinks.

I'm not pissed off at British people. But if you're sitting there demanding from me that I behave myself and not in some dark corner of my brain chuckle at you lot and your country's Government, you're quite delusional. Admit it, the circus in Parliament has to be amusing even for you.

To make it clear, you deserve all of the ridicule and Schadenfreude. Or, as the proverb goes: The laugh is on the loser. Sounds odd to me, but is probably the closest translation for Wer den Schaden hat, braucht für den Spott nicht zu sorgen.
    Last edited by Slant; 2018-07-19 at 12:25 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Not sure Nigel feels the tickling of the funny-bone at the parliament antics. It is after all a lot like being tied to a bomb and watching the EOD team arguing over who gets to cut the red wire and whether or not choosing the red wire means they've embraced communism or symbolically severed it - all as the timer gets ever closer to zero.

The UK as a whole pretty much planted themselves in the nettle-field, but individual Brits might have done all they can to avoid it and are just stuck with what the rest of the country made.

10+ Year Old Account
    You think I enjoy a political unstable nation nearby? Your political class has set a lot of bad blood over the years but I'm well aware this brexit debacle is a two edged blade.

So no I'm saying it's going to suck because it is really going no prediction has any positive under tone in this.

The only one I can think of is the unfair advantage the UK had in the EU is gone and gone for good. That and this wierd flip flops one time expanding the EU the other being completely irrational obstructionists.

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    why am i disgusting? i want this tory government out. Labour will leave the eu but align us with sm/cu membership, which is good. norway+, something like that. good sensible suggestions.
    Norway is basically the deal you had under the EU, only worse. Same restrictions, minus any ability to vote on EU policy.

I mean yeah, it's probably less awful than hard Brexit. But you know what's better than all of these options? Not leaving the EU in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

#thankscameron
    You misspelled "camoron".

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    You misspelled "camoron".
    Ah, so I did. I hope the British will forgive me butchering their language.

Not really.
    We do not like watching our fellow Europeans inflict self-harm upon themselves--even those who have another sense of humour and sometimes do not understand ours.

That post you quoted for example is unlikely to have been an expression of schadenfreude, more like resigned sympathy expressed in a away that acknowledges that we are better off and thus our commisseration only reflects your pain. It also takes into account that people do not like to accept help, therefore the offer itself is never explicitly stated, but it is made clear that one will be in reach. (See how complicated and wordy it is to explain this? That's why, usually, it is only implied.)

- - - Updated - - -

See, this is another example of it
    By overdoing it he expresses that he is there, too. (He probably won't explicitly admit to the implied meaning, though.)

His next post kind of proves it, he gets offended that you rejected (misunderstood) his sentiment.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2018-07-19 at 08:38 AM.

The best option is to cancel it and have brexiteers flogged publically. Alas, we are civilised now..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Heck perhaps the best option at this point IS Hard Brexit.

My question is, would a Hard Brexit mean that committments made for EU citizens already long in the UK or vice versa would not be kept since they were seen as part of the negotiations?
    hard brexit = no deal brexit. Literally there will be no deals. on everything.

hard brexit = no deal brexit. Literally there will be no deals. on everything.
    That is not completely true, there will be all those commitments made before Brexit negotiations started (such as paying for pensions etc.) Brexit only ends membership, not debt aquired during it.

Ah, so I did. I hope the British will forgive me butchering their language.
    As long as Germans forgive all the times I butchered their language while learning it at school. All these Der, Die and Das. How is a non speaker supposed to know which goes where. Then after that the er, e, en es.

- - - Updated - - -

The best option is to cancel it and have brexiteers flogged publically. Alas, we are civilised now..
    One is never too civilized for a good old fashioned public flogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    As long as Germans forgive all the times I butchered their language while learning it at school. All these Der, Die and Das. How is a non speaker supposed to know which goes where. Then after that the er, e, en es.

One is never too civilized for a good old fashioned public flogging.
    The truth is, we couldn't even explain it to you if we wanted. There is no pattern, no rules about gender. It's 99% historic. In Spanish and English the moon is female. In German it's male while our sun is female. We just live with it and hope nobody asks why... /shrug

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Indeed, the so-called divorce bill will have to be settled either way.
    The EU will be annoyed, but if there is no deal we don't owe any money so won't be paying them any.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    The EU will be annoyed, but if there is no deal we don't owe any money so won't be paying them any.
    https://www.ft.com/content/72252768-...9-4b5ddcca99b3

Sorry to say, but Britain will owe EU regardless. You don't just get to skip out on payments because you don't want to make them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.ft.com/content/72252768-...9-4b5ddcca99b3

Sorry to say, but Britain will owe EU regardless. You don't just get to skip out on payments because you don't want to make them.
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...an-latest-odds

Leaving without any deal would mean an immediate Brexit, without the 21-month transition period agreed upon with Brussels.

The House of Lords reported this will also mean forfeiting the £39 billion bill the UK will have to pay the EU.

The people who would have to write the cheque disagree, if they won't write it, what then?
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Yeah, that'll be a great foundation for your upcoming trade talks, having a history of not paying your dues and simply ignoring what you've signed up for.

Hey, how about we work together? - Wait, aren't you the one that left their last partner sitting on the bill? - Yeah, about that, how about we share pay? You in?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.