Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    It's like you've never used anonymous voice chat online, before...

It wouldn't be a "Very Rare" occurrence as you're suggesting. It would be fairly pervasive as has been proven on literally every voice-chat service that exists in such a manner. From X-Box Live onward, there's a culture of guys between the ages of 10 and 30 doing their damnedest to be loud, obnoxious, racist, sexist, bigoted jerks in order to trash-talk their enemies or with a lack of enemies in the voice chat attempt to put themselves into a dominant position on their own teammates.

Maybe you've been incredibly lucky to avoid it, but it swirls around the internet like a massive fart that just won't dissipate, no matter how many windows are opened. The only protection is to leave the room and tell people not to open the door.

Hell. Even text-chat has got that problem, but at least you can put word-filters over text to turn someone's ignorant rant in Alterac Valley about the supposed ancestry, intellect, and inability to coordinate efforts -or- their own fingers of everyone who exists on the same losing team. The Devs didn't originally have a language divide between Horde and Alliance but had to institute one early on in the beta cycle when the vitriol hit a certain degree of "Oh my god, you can't just -say- that..."
    Yes, that's what mute and report would be for. I understand anonymity on the internet gives people more confidence than a platter of shots but it's not unavoidable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    Oyeah? How is this any different than a 11 year old kid playing on the computer of dad in the living room, with a broadcasting mic while mom and dad discuss personal stuff?

And for the record, The Division did not have Push-to-Talk as default, it was voice activated broadcasting.
    Mute button.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiphar View Post
    Yes, that's what mute and report would be for. I understand anonymity on the internet gives people more confidence than a platter of shots but it's not unavoidable.

- - - Updated - - -

Mute button.
    Easier solution, you just join whenever you want. The rest of the world isn't here to be your entertainment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Easier solution, you just join whenever you want. The rest of the world isn't here to be your entertainment.
    It's not about entertainment it's about creating an environment of teamwork and cooperation with fellow players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mute button.
    How is the mute button a solution to people that are unaware they are broadcasting to the internet?

It's not about entertainment it's about creating an environment of teamwork and cooperation with fellow players.
    Already explained to you why this does not really create the teamwork you THINK it will create. It's also a non-issue because playing together in a dungeon forces you to play together. Only in higher difficulty dungeons this would be a thing, to make sure interrupt rotations etc. are performed correctly. But the norm is to use discord or whatever already so it does not actually improve teamplay. It will just make people annoyed.
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutri View Post
    How is the mute button a solution to people that are unaware they are broadcasting to the internet?
    Why would they be unaware of their broadcasting to the internet? Why would they be broadcasting to the internet in the first place? Why would voice activation be default?

How have you made like 9 leaps in logic to arrive at the very specific outcome you don't like?

It would function exactly like Overwatch since that's where they got the tech from. Auto join, push to talk default and when you leave, you leave permanently until you rejoin voice.

This is not a difficult concept to understand. It's really simple.

You don't need to hear someone's voice to be able to communicate and have teamwork. MMO's that were a heck of a lot more social than WoW has ever been existed long before voice chat was a thing.

Hell no. I have a three year old son. I get enough of screaming on a daily basis so I don’t need it in game.

I mean, have you ever heard how game lobbys sound when you have an auto join voice chat? It’s a cesspool.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenthings View Post
    Already explained to you why this does not really create the teamwork you THINK it will create. It's also a non-issue because playing together in a dungeon forces you to play together. Only in higher difficulty dungeons this would be a thing, to make sure interrupt rotations etc. are performed correctly. But the norm is to use discord or whatever already so it does not actually improve teamplay. It will just make people annoyed.
    Pugs don't jump onto random discords for a generic 17 key.

Pugs don't jump onto random discords for a generic 17 key.
    Exactly! You got my point finally!
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenthings View Post
    Exactly! You got my point finally!
    That is very, very different to an ingame function ready to be used at one single touch of a button than having to copy paste a url (most people dont even know what prat is so theyd have to manually type it), join a random discord, find the right channel, then tab back in. All for a bunch of strangers.

Your point is not good. You're forgetting a very important factor called "effort."

Have you ever played a single other game in your life? Overwatch and plenty of other titles have auto join. It doesn't just automatically stream what you say. There is push to talk on by default.
    That's because it's there in such games from the beginning. You want to change an existing game that didn't have it to have it. This is crazy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    That's because it's there in such games from the beginning. You want to change an existing game that didn't have it to have it. This is crazy.
    How is it crazy? You're acting like the people who went absolutely mental over the original stat squish. It's not a big deal. They can opt out of it at any time permanently by unchecking a box. This is not apocalyptic.

Why would they be unaware of their broadcasting to the internet? Why would they be broadcasting to the internet in the first place? Why would voice activation be default?

How have you made like 9 leaps in logic to arrive at the very specific outcome you don't like?

It would function exactly like Overwatch since that's where they got the tech from. Auto join, push to talk default and when you leave, you leave permanently until you rejoin voice.

This is not a difficult concept to understand. It's really simple.
    What does seem to be a difficult concept though, is "if you want to voice chat with other people, join it. If you don't, don't. No need to force shit on people that is unnecessary."

How is it crazy? You're acting like the people who went absolutely mental over the original stat squish. It's not a big deal. They can opt out of it at any time permanently by unchecking a box. This is not apocalyptic.
    You are just stating that it's going to be OK. I explained why it's not going to be OK: people don't expect it and the change is a big deal, people have to be aware of such things beforehand and in WoW they won't be, that ship has already sailed. WoW didn't have this feature turned on since the beginning, so you cannot turn it on by default now. I don't know how to say it any clearer.

If you want to continue saying that it's going to be OK because you think so, feel free, whatever.
    Last edited by rda; 2018-07-20 at 11:37 AM.

That is very, very different to an ingame function ready to be used at one single touch of a button than having to copy paste a url (most people dont even know what prat is so theyd have to manually type it), join a random discord, find the right channel, then tab back in. All for a bunch of strangers.

Your point is not good. You're forgetting a very important factor called "effort."
    Seems you did not actually got my point but that's alright! I am happy to explain it to you in more detail:

High level mythics are/were done on Discord, before the ingame voice chat was introduced. Sure, it can swift to the ingame chat. A simple action to join the voice chat will be enough. Also you are acting like it's a huge effort to join a Discord server, even though this is really easy and for example I think even you can do it without any problems.

Tl;DR: it's a non-issue since almost all easy puggable content does not really need any kind of voicechat, and the stuff that actually needs teamwork already goes fine with available tooling.
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    What does seem to be a difficult concept though, is "if you want to voice chat with other people, join it. If you don't, don't. No need to force shit on people that is unnecessary."
    This is the exact same as "if you DON'T want to join voice chat with other people, leave."

So where do you pick the correct perspective from here? How are any of these statements different from one another conceptually other than a binary yes or no?

That's why you have to look at the pros and cons of either being the default and I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Lol nope.
    /10char

15+ Year Old Account
    I see what you're going for, but I don't think the wow community is ready for this.
    Here is something to believe in!

7+ Year Old Account
    I think when you join a group or instance or anything that has the ability to utilise voice chat, that should put every player in the group automatically into voice chat.

This makes teamwork and cooperation the default. Whoever doesn't want to, can leave. But the default should be autojoin.
    No it fucking shouldnt why dont you go do Alterac valley and listen to the 39 other idiots screaming and whining on voice chat and then come back here and delete this thread!