Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Parents set to lose right to veto sex education at age 15

I completely agree with this

The government plans to let 15-year-olds overrule their parents' wishes and opt in to sex education lessons they have previously been withdrawn from.

Education Secretary Damian Hinds says children should be able to request sex education in at least one of the three terms before their 16th birthday.

Until then, parents will retain the right to withdraw their children.

The plan was announced as part of new draft guidelines on the teaching of sex education in England's schools.

These new, wider guidelines have been developed following concerns the existing guidance, last updated 18 years ago, does not cover topics such as:

mental wellbeing
    consent
    keeping safe online
    physical health and fitness
    LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) issues
    The guidelines, to become compulsory from 2020, are now open to consultation.

What should sex education lessons cover?
    Age of consent
    In an oral statement to the Commons on Thursday, Mr Hinds said: "We've previously committed to parents having a right to withdraw their children from the sex education part of RSE [relationships and sex education], but not from relationships education, in either primary or secondary school.

"A right for parents to withdraw their child up to 18 years of age is no longer compatible with English case law nor with the European Convention on Human Rights.

"It's also clear that allowing parents to withdraw their child up to age 16 would not allow the child to opt into sex education before the legal age of consent.

"I therefore propose to give parents the right to request their child be withdrawn from sex education delivered as part of RSE.

"And the draft guidance sets out that - unless their are exceptional circumstances - the parents' request should be granted until three terms before the pupil reaches 16.

"At that point, if the child wishes to have sex education, the head teacher should ensure they receive it in one of those three terms.

"This preserves the parental right, in most cases, but also balances it with the child's right to opt into sex education once they are competent to do so."

Shadow education secretary Angela Rayner said she welcomed the move but suggested children should be allowed to opt in confidentially in such circumstances.

"I welcome the statement that children have the right to decide that they want to receive sex and relationship education," she said.

"All children should be empowered to make healthy, informed decisions, to know that it's not wrong to be LGBT and not acceptable to experience gendered harassment or violence.

"But can he assure the House that pupils will be able to opt in confidentially if this is their choice?"

Responding to her comments, Mr Hinds said: "We're not expecting large numbers of cases where this is true.

"The child would be able to access a term of sex education before reaching 16."

Mental health
    Mr Hinds also said health education would become a mandatory part of the curriculum for all primary and secondary schools from autumn 2020.

Under the plans, pupils will learn about mental health and developing skills such as confidence and resilience.

It comes amid growing concerns about mental health issues among young people.

Classes will also cover physical health, such as the importance of exercise and healthy eating and the benefits of a healthy lifestyle as well as preventing health problems.

Mr Hinds said: "I want to make sure that our children are able to grow up to become happy and well rounded individuals who know how to deal with the challenges of the modern world.

"Part of this is making sure they are informed about how to keep themselves safe and healthy and have good relationships with others."
    Parents that refuse sex education are irresponsible

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Kids are gonna do sexy times so you NEED to get them sex ed.

Good, I really don't see why this couldn't be universal in the Western World. Sex is arguably one of the most important areas to be educated in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Good, I really don't see why this couldn't be universal in the Western World. Sex is arguably one of the most important areas to be educated in.

Seriously people, it really isn't that hard to find the clit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

In before zealots who have no concerns over teenagers' health show up ripping their hair out in the name of religious freedom.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good. If you haven't talked about sex with your kids by age 15 you're a bad parent.

10+ Year Old Account
    News flash to those parents: Your kids are going to fuck no matter what you say so might as well let them get educated in safe sex if you're not going to bother because its too awkward and icky for you

another victory for science and common sense vs religious idiots.

Nothing but good news to me.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I completely agree with this

Parents that refuse sex education are irresponsible
    Agreed. And it should be much earlier - 10 would be better.

Ought to be lowered to 10-12 tbh.

Deleted
    Could always just make it obligatory as a part of biology, but this is certainly better than nothing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    We do have sex ed at 10 unless you meant the parent thing

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Agreed.

Lets be real here. By age 15, they already know what sex is. Any parent who doesn't want their 15 year old in sex ed is 1) an idiot thinking their child doesn't already know and 2) irresponsible if they think they shouldn't know.

They need to take this a step further and require it. There shouldn't be an opt out option. They need to know about stds and that no, the pull out method doesn't work and no, being on top doesn't mean gravity prevents pregnancy.

However, one of the biggest hurdles to overcome is that schools make it awkward and that teens are still embarrassed to buy condoms. If trying to practice safe sex at a young age wasn't met with such shock and horror, then there would be far fewer cases of teen pregnancy. I remember my sex ed class. I had it in highschool and gasp, I knew everything by then. Heck, even the teacher knew we all knew and basically just covered the misconceptions teens have about how to not get pregnant.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Yeah this is stupid AF, most kids at 15 have smart phones or comp access they've already seen things, plus most of them are already blowing each other anyways. This needs to be brought down to like 12

10+ Year Old Account
    Sex ed is pretty important, don't see why parents would'nt let em partake in it AT 15 years of age.
    What do they think? "If they don't have sex ed they won't know what sex is until they're 18 huhu" I mean that is like neanderthal thinking right there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Parents shouldn't have an "opt out" option for education in general. All this stuff should be handled at the curriculum level; if it's part of the mandated curriculum, your kids will learn it, and your prevention of that will be deemed to constitute child neglect, with legal consequences.

You want to home-school? Fine, but here's the curriculum standards. You'll meet them, or you'll be charged.

No, you don't get religious exceptions. You want your kid to not be taught evolution because you think God created the world 6000 years ago? Tough nuts. You don't want them reading a book because it contains "sinful" material? If the book was approved as part of the curriculum, tough nuts (books often aren't, but a pre-approved list of age-appropriate novels would be helpful in this respect, as a baseline).

A big reason for public education is to prevent parents from pushing abusive bullshit like this onto their kids.

Good. The ones I know who opted their kids out, did not teach their kids shit on their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Sex ed is pretty important, don't see why parents would'nt let em partake in it AT 15 years of age.
    What do they think? "If they don't have sex ed they won't know what sex is until they're 18 huhu" I mean that is like neanderthal thinking right there.
    Dont need to learn about sex, god'll show em the way on their wedding night.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Stupid that parents even have the right to veto such courses. Can they veto math and language arts as well?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah guess who’s preventing their kids from sex education. Religious people, and most commonly Muslims.