Poll: Who would you vote for if the Democratic primary was today?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Out of those, Bernie Sanders seems to be the only sensible choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    I just think that, in general, people are more likely to be more open to accepting someone they barely know (as Bernie may have proven) and I think that carries even more weight than usual in today's climate. But I can't say whether or not one factor comes out ahead versus the other.

I mostly mentioned the "all politicians are corrupt" argument because it's an extremely trendy politic for people to embrace. Bernie is a pretty divisive figure in the Democratic party by which he doesn't stand as a force for marrying the various wings and fortunately everyone has name recognition once you're a nominee, so there's not really much negative to say about fresh blood.

"Being fresh blood" isn't really my #1 factor in determining a good candidate for this election, however. I'm just participating in the thought experiment, lol.
    With Sanders, it wasn't so much of being someone they barely knew, that was something of a strike against him, it was a case of being someone that wasn't already known and hated for it. If Sanders had came in acting like another Clinton or half the Republicans out there, then he would have been seen as just another to be hated.

He was popular because his policies were popular and he had a track record of practicing what he preached. If he came in now, he would carry a lot of that. And Sanders isn't as divisive as many think outside of a vocal minority of voters. Many of Clintons voter base were even Sanders supporters and by the data, more Clinton supporters were willing to vote Sanders than vise-versa.

Trump didn't win because he was new blood either, he won because he was already a house hold name and even though he lied through his teeth repeatedly, he still at least mentioned problems for many areas and claimed he would help which others weren't offering.

As far as new blood Trumping the establishment, that goes without saying because those people have all that baggage of the stuff they pulled to use against them.

Understand about the thought experiment part, so none of this really matters.

But to me, it wasn't so much of the new blood being popular as it was with it being Trump already being known and actually paying lip service about problems versus Sanders who's unknown status with a massive strike against him and only became popular because his policies, passion, and his history with the issues.

Edit: If it wasn't for Trump's already huge name recognition combined with Clinton's Piped Piper Strategy to give him attention and treat him like a real option, he would have probably been treated like the candidate back in the day who promised ponies to everyone if he had won.
    Last edited by Fugus; 2018-07-20 at 02:48 AM.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'd vote for Mickey Mouse if he was on the Democratic ticket at this point.
    What happens when Mickey Mouse goes full-on big business and pushes for legislation that allows Disney-style "cease and desist" lawsuits to pop up at 100x the rate as before?

OT: Picked "Other". Job Trunicht. You may not know him well, but he is the Democratic Party incarnated as a living person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

10+ Year Old Account
    Harris, Sanders, or Warren. Sanders is too old, I'd like to see him VP. I think Trump would just bury Warren in memes, so I suppose Harris it is. I really hope we don't end up with some mainstream corporate shill again.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhard von Lohengramm View Post
    OT: Picked "Other". Job Trunicht. You may not know him well, but he is the Democratic Party incarnated as a living person.
    We’re all aware of your residency in fantasyland and affinity for imperial blonde Mary Sues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Bernie isn't going to run independent. Hell, if he didn't last time due to not wanting to split the vote due to Dumbass Dump, why the HELL would he do so now since anything is better than Fuckwit Frump in office!? :P
    My post was not actually to suggest that he would- more just to point out that if he were to run again, it would be best for everyone if he ran as a Dem, despite his current affiliation
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Why not Andrew Yang?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Bernie will not get the nomination for Democrats because he would have to stop being an Independent, recognize himself as the democrat candidate, and affiliate and vote as a democrat. He has never done this, nor do I doubt he ever will.
    He would stay as a Democrat were he to win the primaries- because a) to avoid the aforementioned vote splitting, and b) because as the nominee he would be the de facto head of the party
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    He would stay as a Democrat were he to win the primaries- because a) to avoid the aforementioned vote splitting, and b) because as the nominee he would be the de facto head of the party
    Not to mention that the Democrats were trying to use him while he stayed in afterward which I am betting is a large reason why he left again.

They tried giving him a made up position with no power and trod him out to try and get votes and donations for them while making sure he had no real power on the platform committee and asking him for access to his donor lists. They literally were trying to ignore him at every opportunity while mooching off him for votes and money.

Why would they expect him, or anyone else, to stay while being used like that?
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Why not Andrew Yang?
    He looks cool- the poll was from a CNN writer's list of most likely candidates, and I think he's too far off the radar to make many of those lists.
    -Louis Brandeis

Imagine looking at that list and thinking the democratic party are left wing omegalul

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The US would consider most European centrists as downright communists, and most of our center right as left.
    they're insane, i agree.

Surprised how well Biden is doing, seems like a total block of cardboard to me.

If I lived in the US, I wouldn't vote. Except with my feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Kamala Harris
    Bernie Sanders
    Joe Biden
    Hmmm...
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

As a Canadian, I'm glad I don't have to make this choice. Voting for various corrupt or extreme members of a leaderless mess of a party that has shown blatant disregard for what the public actually wants just because the alternative is a treasonous political dumpster fire made of equal parts evil and incompetence would make my skin crawl.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Old and Crazy looking, I agree with. Honestly don't want him to run due to his age as I said. Last thing I want is for him to get office and either his health or his mind fail and he get replaced or played because of it. Honestly would like to start seeing age limits on stuff like congress, senate and president so those running are more inline with the people and mental decline shouldn't be as much as a risk. We have 80 year olds running nations when we wouldn't trust them with many other, less dangerous positions due to possible problems due to age.

But the already ran part, honestly don't see that as a disqualifier, especially with how that primary went and how far he came from an unknown to where he is now.
    I agree. Age limits might be a good idea. I just don't want anyone associated with the Hillary fiasco out in front - no references at all. Don't get me wrong, I think she's great, but she's also poison for the election now and forever.

I'm also open to being wrong about him, running that is, because as you just said, he did come so far so fast - and did very well.

Harris would be my top choice, but at this point as others have already said it doesn't really matter as long as it get corrupt Trump out of office.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of that list? Sanders. He really is too old though imo.

Deleted
    Bernie sanders is #5 because he's a "white male" and the Democrats don't want a "white male" this time around. Joe Biden apparently isn't a "white male", being that he's #1.

Also, I'm guessing Joe Biden is so much younger than Bernie Sanders. I mean, who would want the "dinosaur" Bernie Sanders to run. Joe Biden is so much younger. Bernie was born September 8, 1941. Biden was born November 20, 1942. Damn, yo. Biden is a year younger! What a youngling!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    None of the above.

I don't know enough about the character of all of them, and that may be a good thing.
    its not hard to find out about them by looking up their voting records and prior statements. i hear google exists.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    its not hard to find out about them by looking up their voting records and prior statements. i hear google exists.
    Some of the are relative unknowns, but it's not just about their voting record. It's about what kind of person they happen to be. I'm not a fan of voting for shitty humans, regardless of their political leanings.