Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    My old PC held it's ground for 7 years with wow updates, but just like you BfA was the straw that broke the camels back.

So I just went out and got a mid-range gaming laptop, and now I can play BfA on Ultra settings ^..^

It's not Blizzard's repoonsibility to make sure that people who could play Vanilla just fine, will be able to play BfA just fine - There is an expectation that players will also be able to keep up with the times.

Same will apply to Classic.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    True of course but the op mentions things like why they are not support dx 8 and "higher end hardware" which is bullocks
    I'm pretty sure WoW launched with DX9 because DX9 came out August 2004. And I imagine they would have had the tools to use DX9 even earlier or a beta version at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think I've ever had a laptop last more than 4 years. What are you playing on? lol
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    It's not misinformation, I've seen the same behavior, maybe it's only a problem in DX12? I'm too lazy to check on WoW now, but I'll try later.
    Had a look for you.

Option is there on DX12 to use Low shadows as well. Same as it is on DX11. The old Fair option where terrain shadows are still the same but instead of a blob like the old Low used to be it's a poorly pixelated character shadow.

So it most certainly is misinformation that the BFA client cannot use low shadows since it can on both DX11 and 12.

However I switched back to 11 solely because there are some performance issues for me on the DX12 client. But I can confirm all of the shadow options are there.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-07-21 at 12:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic have low polygon count. You don't need good hardware for it. I don't know what are you talking about CASC or DX12, but full screen does not concern me either, it's bad mode, you shouldn't use it. 512 RAM, of course no, my iPhone has more LoL. Just buy some decent gaming rig and forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    Classic have low polygon count. You don't need good hardware for it. I don't know what are you talking about CASC or DX12, but full screen does not concern me either, it's bad mode, you shouldn't use it. 512 RAM, of course no, my iPhone has more LoL. Just buy some decent gaming rig and forget about it.
    It's not just about the poly count. It's about how it's being designed. It's not old code slapped on and "hey presto". It's rewriting it to be compatible with their modern hardware. Is what some people don't seem to get.

It's not going to be designed to run on a 32 bit OS or DX9 mode when Blizzard just dropped support for it in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    One of reasons I left WoW was constant increase of system requirements. My disks also seem to hate the change from MPQ to CASC format. Basically BfA isn't playable to me right now as system requirements were doubled overnight. And no Fullscreen was like spitting all over the face to many players. I will probably make a huge revelation for some people, but Windows supports all DX, including DX5, DX 6, etc. Just need to install appropriate libraries/modules, but current devs seem to be too much focused on pissing off whatever little of their loyal veterans, who actually helped Blizzard to become as famous as it is now.

There was some blue post saying something along the lines that Classic will use the modern WoW Engine but with reconstructed models and content.

Since then I have worry that it will be a colossal disappointment to everyone expecting that WoW Classic will have mild system requirements (I mean, not everyone can constantly upgrade hardware just for a game). Especially if they will enforce DX12 bullsh!t.

I think that focus on CASC and DX12 must go DIAF and Classic should support all older DX and be based on MPQs. WoW Classic required like 512 RAM and 32 VRAM. But I am afraid that new Classic will have drastically different requirements.

Anyone else shares my concerns?
    dude sorry but your going to have to upgrade or be left behind. I can only shudder at the thought of what kind of machine your trying to play wow on when you complain about what your complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    dude sorry but your going to have to upgrade or be left behind. I can only shudder at the thought of what kind of machine your trying to play wow on when you complain about what your complaining about.
    I would genuinely like to request the OP post their system specs. Just for my curiosity.

@Ferocity. What system specs are you playing WoW on if I may ask?

I liked the one poster's quote that gamne works better with turned off shadows... But he forgot that you can't turn off shadows for quite a time, and in BfA you can't even put them at "low".

What is not serious about EQ II? That it runs better than WoW for me now? It can be also played without subscription, though sub definitely provides the optimal experience. Sure, EQ II required PC from the future on its launch and it was perhaps one of big reasons why it failed. However, sys requirements didn't change much (if at all) over time, so eventually EQ II became more playable for me than WoW.

I can't comprehend the logic of some posters, but that's ok. And there was a number of threads on CASC, how it causes big fragmentation of files (and excessive pressure on disks) with all the consequences.

Anyway, my rose glasses are off, I see that Classic won't be real Classic but some remastered version. Also if it is going to be based on BfA client, you will have to say bye-bye to wall-climbing, graphical modding (which is totally harmless), and most likely a lot of Classic addons won't work (like [auto-]decurse, good luck decursing people manually in 40-men raids which will definitely be lagfest for most people).

I also now clearly see why retail WoW is so bad now, it is because white knights try to overyell any kind of concern about the direction of the game. It started from "innocent" things like nerfing sharpening stones, then later - removing weapon skills, removing keyring, and in the end we have something totally different and totally non-appealing to most of the people from preCata era. Now people are white-knighting absolutely horrible system requirements bump in BfA, which are also partly artificial (by removing true Fullscreen, because, according to some stupid people, Microsoft globally banned it).

The only sad thing is those white-knights will quickly realize that Classic gameplay isn't actually for their taste. All you white knights should just stick to BfA where you have your horrible CASC and other perks of bad optimization. Classic was based on MPQs, it had Classic water (hard to describe it), you also had to watch shallow waters as mounts didn't like it (I wonder how it will be realized with BfA mount behavior). There just so many small things come up which just don't seem they will be able to coexist right in the same engine as BfA.

It would also feel good to finally overpower this game in terms of hardware, but guess some people like constant hardware races or they don't mind having sub-20 fps while solo. Technical progress is made exactly so that you could launch older software more efficiently and get more difficult tasks, it isn't so that game from 2004 (it was released in 2004, if you say it is released in 2018+ that's you who have serious mental issues) would require PC from distant future to manage at least 20 fps in solo.
    I have concerns regarding your knowledge of CASC and MPQ if you think CASC causes lower disk performance, CASC is an evolution of MPQ.

Unlike MPQ, CASC is capable of patching the files without cloning them first, allowing for smaller patch downloads and faster patches, with a lot less disk usage involved, which also allows for the modern hotfixing they have as it can patch content without downloading large chunks and requiring a new patch to be made.

None of this relates to it causing higher disk speed requirements, if anything it's easier on disks. The only reason the modern version of WoW is harder on disks is solely down to increases in texture resolution, and an increase in the quantity of content.

15+ Year Old Account
    WoW Classic required like 512 RAM and 32 VRAM. But I am afraid that new Classic will have drastically different requirements.
    You are wrong in what you think was needed for the BARE MINIMUM to play vanilla WoW. Keep in mind this is just to run the game. That doesn't mean you wouldn't lag for days or get disconnected because you were on a shitty computer (which happened frequently if you had only the MINIMUM requirements).

Requirements at launch (4-Dec-2004):

Windows® System 98/ME/2000/XP OS

800 MHz or higher CPU
    256 MB or more of RAM
    32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware transform and lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better
    4 GB or more of available hard drive space
    DirectX® 9.0c or above
    A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection

Mac® System OS X 10.3.5 OS

933 MHz or higher G4 or G5 processor
    512 MB RAM or higher; DDR RAM recommended
    ATI or NVIDIA video hardware with 32 MB VRAM or more
    4 GB or more of available hard drive space
    MacOS X 10.3.5 or newer
    56k or higher modem with an Internet connection

Again this would only get the game to run but if you ran any raid or did AV or were in any other congested area (Org, IF, SW, etc) you would lag or disconnect frequently. The game has changed A LOT since then and it would be stupid to think Blizzard would not keep up with demands of better graphics to their players. As others have asked, what kind of crap are you trying to game on if you're worried that Classic will be too difficult for you to play on? If you haven't upgraded your PC in so long that you can't run the game, maybe you should find another game that is friendlier to your crap than WoW (like maybe Runescape) or upgrade your PC to something that can handle the bare minimum requirements for the game...

I liked the one poster's quote that gamne works better with turned off shadows... But he forgot that you can't turn off shadows for quite a time, and in BfA you can't even put them at "low".

What is not serious about EQ II? That it runs better than WoW for me now? It can be also played without subscription, though sub definitely provides the optimal experience. Sure, EQ II required PC from the future on its launch and it was perhaps one of big reasons why it failed. However, sys requirements didn't change much (if at all) over time, so eventually EQ II became more playable for me than WoW.

I can't comprehend the logic of some posters, but that's ok. And there was a number of threads on CASC, how it causes big fragmentation of files (and excessive pressure on disks) with all the consequences.

Anyway, my rose glasses are off, I see that Classic won't be real Classic but some remastered version. Also if it is going to be based on BfA client, you will have to say bye-bye to wall-climbing, graphical modding (which is totally harmless), and most likely a lot of Classic addons won't work (like [auto-]decurse, good luck decursing people manually in 40-men raids which will definitely be lagfest for most people).

I also now clearly see why retail WoW is so bad now, it is because white knights try to overyell any kind of concern about the direction of the game. It started from "innocent" things like nerfing sharpening stones, then later - removing weapon skills, removing keyring, and in the end we have something totally different and totally non-appealing to most of the people from preCata era. Now people are white-knighting absolutely horrible system requirements bump in BfA, which are also partly artificial (by removing true Fullscreen, because, according to some stupid people, Microsoft globally banned it).

The only sad thing is those white-knights will quickly realize that Classic gameplay isn't actually for their taste. All you white knights should just stick to BfA where you have your horrible CASC and other perks of bad optimization. Classic was based on MPQs, it had Classic water (hard to describe it), you also had to watch shallow waters as mounts didn't like it (I wonder how it will be realized with BfA mount behavior). There just so many small things come up which just don't seem they will be able to coexist right in the same engine as BfA.

It would also feel good to finally overpower this game in terms of hardware, but guess some people like constant hardware races or they don't mind having sub-20 fps while solo. Technical progress is made exactly so that you could launch older software more efficiently and get more difficult tasks, it isn't so that game from 2004 (it was released in 2004, if you say it is released in 2018+ that's you who have serious mental issues) would require PC from distant future to manage at least 20 fps in solo.
    Put it this way, for them to be able to release the old client at blizzard quality it would have taken a significantly larger effort to make it properly compatible with modern hardware, make it comply with modern security best practices(this is huge) and lastly make it able to read new databases. You would be recreating the old game and at that point using old API calls in many cases are a security risk on its own. And because of all this they have decided to make the game using the new client and engine thus making updating security, bug fixes and disabling bots possible. This all means yes this is a game that is being released in 2018+ as a 2018 title as it is WoW Classic that is based off of WoW 1.12 and not WoW 1.X the game that was released in 2004. Why is CASC horrible because it is designed as a self repairing, streaming updates, 64 bit arcitecture, highly accessible, more efficient and no longer takes up huge space for those updates and it also contains builtin SHA-1/MD5 hashing. MPQ's are sloppy old tech that eat harddrive space(I remember having 300+ gigs used up by wow alone after all the patches). As for Classic water....it looked like crap.....new water is best water.

As for your comment I am running a 4 year old video card that I can pick up for under a $100 CAD used now(970), I5 4570, 16gb ram and a cheap SSD and get 50FPS in raids on live and 75 FPS while soloing or running dungeons in beta......... I just saw someone selling a similar build to me for 350 dollars used in my area.

You have a 7 year old account with 4k+ posts on MMO-Champion. If you actually worked for 1/4th of the time you spent on this website, maybe you wouldn't have such ridiculous problems as expecting a 2019+ rerelease to work on hardware from mid 2000s.

Deleted
    The game should support hardware that only existed before 2006. Windows 2000/XP support only.
    Only that way you could get remotely close to true classic experience.

Wow, so much salt.
    Beta Club Brosquad

my computer is from I think 2013? and it runs wow fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    I got an medium powerful calculator that prolly could run wow on very low if interested.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Huge concern that Classic will require higher end hardware

Anyone else shares my concerns?
    Hell no.

I hope that Blizzard restores the old Classic look which I still find attractive and give people the ability to choose classic graphics if they want, but I also hope that they will improve on the graphics and finally give my GTX 1080 a workout.

I own a 2000 euro PC, and AFAIK the PC"s of all my guildmates Private Server side are similarly quite advanced.

Blizzard should NOT be afraid to make extreme upgrades to Vanilla graphics. People on 64 Mb GPUs (I played WoW on an 64 MB Nvidia GeForce 4 460 Go in 2005) like the OP should be able to play the game too but Blizzard should also take into consideration that many (if not all) from the Nostalrius Raiding community come from affluent nations (75% of my Guildies are Scandinavian) and are in their late twenties or thirties and own very modern and powerful PC's.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Think it will be fine, considering it will use the normal engine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Think the thread name should be "Huge concern that Classic will require standard hardware"
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Hell no.

I hope that Blizzard restores the old Classic look which I still find attractive and give people the ability to choose classic graphics if they want, but I also hope that they will improve on the graphics and finally give my GTX 1080 a workout.

I own a 2000 euro PC, and AFAIK the PC"s of all my guildmates Private Server side are similarly quite advanced.

Blizzard should NOT be afraid to make extreme upgrades to Vanilla graphics. People on 64 Mb GPUs (I played WoW on an 64 MB Nvidia GeForce 4 460 Go in 2005) like the OP should be able to play the game too but Blizzard should also take into consideration that many (if not all) from the Nostalrius Raiding community come from affluent nations (75% of my Guildies are Scandinavian) and are in their late twenties or thirties and own very modern and powerful PC's.
    Your desires of classic WoW giving a GTX 1080 a "workout" are almost as laughably farsighted as the OP's desire to run the game on a fucking ham sandwich.