Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Dark humor is now illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroxis View Post
    It actually does matter.

James Gunn and Roseanne's scenarios are completely different outside of the fact that they both were employed by Disney and both were fired.
    If it actually mattered, wouldn't have Disney gone to bat for him instead of canning his ass since he did apologize?

Both said things their employer didn't care for and lost their jobs. Gunn gets a "Well, that sucks" over Roseanne. But I've got to shrug since they both lost their job to Twitter posts.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    God fucking dammit he was a great director this is so shitty.
    meh GotG 2 sucked. the soundtrack was trash and it pretty much ruined the whole movie

If it actually mattered, wouldn't have Disney gone to bat for him instead of canning his ass since he did apologize?
    Oh cut the shit you know exactly why Disney fired him. They did so to eliminate the drama without looking at if it was even legitimate or not.

Stop pretending you dont know exactly the difference because Gunn held political beliefs that a woke independent(tm) such as yourself don't.

Oh cut the shit you know exactly why Disney fired him. They did so to eliminate the drama.
    Okay. And?

That's still true. Where did the drama come from? Twitter posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    Mike Cernovich a well known right wing pundent did it..
    -SNIP-

The guy on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Ah, I saw it by some tool who drools on every Trump tweet, slobbering about how great 45 is.

Still though, I find it ironic that the Right, the party of the politically incorrect, the party of "fuck your feelings", is the party that caused this.
    Cernovich is a self admitted rapist. That makes the whole shit show and Disney caving even more ironic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The more you find out about Hollyweird the more repulsive it is.

Some of the stuff he said was an obvious attempt at humor but like my wife says, 'just because you thought of something funny to say, doesn't necessarily mean you should say it.'
    Are you getting politically correct on us Hubcap?

This is ridiculous. The tweets were a decade old, and he'd already apologised for them.

'Guardians of the Galaxy' Director James Gunn Apologizes for Controversial Jokes: 'I'm Sorry and Regret Making Them at All'

"A couple of years ago I wrote a blog that was meant to be satirical and funny. In rereading it over the past day I don't think it's funny. The attempted humor in the blog does not represent my actual feelings. However, I can see where statements were poorly worded and offensive to many. I'm sorry and regret making them at all," Gunn writes.

"People who are familiar with me as evidenced by my Facebook page and other mediums know that I'm an outspoken proponent for the rights of the gay and lesbian community, women and anyone who feels disenfranchised, and it kills me that some other outsider like myself, despite his or her gender or sexuality, might feel hurt or attacked by something I said," he continues. "We're all in the same camp, and I want to do my best to make this world a better place for all of us. I'm learning all the time. I promise to be more careful with my words in the future. And I will do my best to be funnier as well. Much love to all. -- James Gunn."
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...es-gunn-395796

Article from fucking 2012. I can see how if he were unrepentantly engaging in "2edgy3me" humour today, it'd be a problem. But this is just ridiculous, that mini-controversy was in the news 8 years ago, so it's not like this is some major discovery. He made some dumb tweets that look bad for a professional, years later when held to account he said sorry for them (which is an entirely appropriate and proportional level of chagrin), everyone moved on. Almost a decade later he's fired for them?

According to Fox News, they were posted because Gunn is an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump and the effort was to knock him down a few pegs.
    Wait, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Okay. And?

That's still true. Where did the drama come from? Twitter posts.
    That context actually matters, something you seem to just flatout ignore.

Eh screw it, I'm done with you. You're obviously not an honest actor in this conversation.

That context actually matters, something you seem to just flatout ignore.

Eh screw it, I'm done with you. You're definitely not an honest actor in this conversation.
    I'm not. Seeing as I keep noting when the posts were made and acknowledged them as jokes.

I just realize Disney isn't going to go for that kind of posting.

Edit: Okay, mad person. I leave you be.

Quote Originally Posted by Akari Theron View Post
    I can see why Disney wanted to distance themselves.
    I get that this is fairly juvenile, and if he were still like this today or if he doubled down on this stuff and refused to apologise, it'd look unprofessional and reflect poorly on Disney. But it's almost 10 years ago, and he's apologised numerous times for it already. And really, it's not like he's aiming this shit at anyone, it's just over-the-top humour. Looks bad now but it doesn't seem to be particularly mean spirited or intended to hurt anyone, it's just dumb.

I mean are we going to fire Trey Parker and Matt Stone for like, every second episode of South Park?

TIL ending a conversation with a dishonest participant = mad.

Stay woke, fellow independent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I get that this is fairly juvenile, and if he were still like this today or if he doubled down on this stuff and refused to apologise, it'd look unprofessional and reflect poorly on Disney. But it's almost 10 years ago, and he's apologised numerous times for it already. And really, it's not like he's aiming this shit at anyone, it's just over-the-top humour. Looks bad now but it doesn't seem to be particularly mean spirited or intended to hurt anyone, it's just dumb.

I mean are we going to fire Trey Parker and Matt Stone for like, every second episode of South Park?
    Trey Parker and Matt Stone don't work for Disney, NBC or any other employer that doesn't tolerate their edgy humor.

Outrage culture strikes again.

This is killing society. This is killing culture. This is killing creativity. Even if the jokes are in poor taste, that is up for each to decide. Censoring ideas for the sake of someone getting outraged will eventually lead to only universally accepted ideas to be allowed. No more offesnive thought. You know that kind of stuff that lead to advances in every field and area of human interaction since the first idea was grunted out by some proto human.
    I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky!

TIL ending a conversation with a dishonest participant = mad.

Stay woke, fellow independent.
    Sure thing, guy mad I'm not as mad as him Gunn lost his job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whelp, there goes the guardians of the galaxy franchise.

Sure could get someone else but their just be trying to emulate Gunn's mathod to keep the franchise to the same standard and it'll be obvious thats what it is.
    #boycottchina

When will celebrities get wise and dump twitter? There's only one outcome possible.

Wait, there was seriously an alt right campaign to get him fired?

Well done, you absolute fuckstains. Well fucking done. Couldn't you have gone after Michael Bay or somebody over at DC? Actually scratch that they'd probably target Patty Jenkins... sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post

Both said things their employer didn't care for and lost their jobs. Gunn gets a "Well, that sucks" over Roseanne. But I've got to shrug since they both lost their job to Twitter posts.
    I think it's completely different when you make the posts while employed by the show versus a decade prior, particularly when you'd already apologised for them.

And in Roseanne's case, the tweet was directed at a particular person and intended to belittle - unlike Gunn's which were just dumb edgy humour.

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    meh GotG 2 sucked. the soundtrack was trash and it pretty much ruined the whole movie
    I mean I can't stop you being wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by majesta View Post
    Outrage culture strikes again.

This is killing society. This is killing culture. This is killing creativity. Even if the jokes are in poor taste, that is up for each to decide. Censoring ideas for the sake of someone getting outraged will eventually lead to only universally accepted ideas to be allowed. No more offesnive thought. You know that kind of stuff that lead to advances in every field and area of human interaction since the first idea was grunted out by some proto human.
    You know that H. P. lovecraft, one of the most acclaimed surreal horror writers, was racist in his time, he even owed up to being so and that racism reflecting in his work. Yet his creations were still respected and feared today or used in other media (like wow).
    If lovecraft was around today creating stuff he'd be as much targeted as Gunn has been.
    #boycottchina

And in Roseanne's case, the tweet was directed at a particular person and intended to belittle - unlike Gunn's which were just dumb edgy humour.
    I think an important thing that's also being ignored is that Gunn stopped making jokes like that while Roseanne went back to exactly the same kind of 4chan nutso shitposting the same day she "apologized," to the point that you can pretty safely argue she's walked back the apology almost entirely by this point.