Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    What a ridiculous thing to whine. Also, it's funny how you bend reality to match your, ekhm "theory".

You can easily switch
    - MoP is: "You'll enjoy your time in Pandaland." (?)
    - BfA is: "The Horde & Alliance are fighting each other!"

with

- MoP is: "The Horde & Alliance are fighting each other!"
    - BfA is: "You'll enjoy your time in Zandalar and Kul Tiras."

Because these expansions are very similar - they are "storm before calm", in MoP we were warned about Burning Legion threat, now game screams "Old Gods are coming!" from every corner. And if having "big bad" is somehow measure of quality of launch content, BfA have Zul and Azshara, MoP had, well, Sha.

But of course it isn't, MoP was waaaaay better than Cata and WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh come on, if people missed out on BFA, they wouldn't be whining about missing it, they would be whining about having to work for Allied races.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    The problem I have with ‘big bads’ is that we know we’re going to beat them. From the second we hear their name the only thing about them that matters is what loot they drop. They then cease to be relevant forever. At least the faction conflict provides us with things that are still talked about years after they happened.
    Faction war isn’t any better, we know we’ll break some of each other’s toys, kill some of each other’s people, it will all be inconclusive and unsatisfying for both sides due to gameplay reasons, and then the big bad crops up anyway and we kill him/her/it, oh yeah, so much better...

The only place people still care about faction-related stuff like the Cata-revamp is in threads about Horde/Alliance bias, so all in all the “lasting legacy” there isn’t much to write home about either.

It's just a glorified big patch essentially, which takes more away from us than it gives. FO Blizzard.

You guys are putting way too much money on what info they've given us so far. Despite how this expansion starts, you know it will end with a huge fight against the Old Gods or whatever. Mists was exactly the same way. The only reason we ended up on Pandaria is because we were busy killing each other.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thottstation View Post
    This is the problem I have with Battle For Azeroth: the theme.

Strip away everything from every expansion, and what is it?

And now, we come to BfA:

Telling people they can't miss out on BfA is like telling people they can't miss out on Patch 5.2.

5.2. LANDFALL
    The conflict between the Horde and the Alliance has ignited a new series of daily quests.
    Players can visit their faction strongholds to begin the quest to summon their war fleets.
    Players will both valiantly defend their faction's outpost and assault the opposing faction's headquarters.
    Two new Reputations have been added: Alliance players can earn reputation with Operation: Shieldwall, while Horde players will curry favor with the Dominance Offensive.

I'm sure people will say "But in BFA we get to fight and kill Azshara!" or something like that. But I'm talking about the core theme of the whole expansion. Legion was about the demon's final invasion of Azeroth. Yes, we fought Xavius, but that wasn't the core theme that was advertised in the trailer, just like fighting and killing Ragnaros and Cho'Gall wasn't the core theme of Cataclysm. They were just big name lore characters we fought for a tier. I'm sure there will be many quests that explain why Azshara is a big deal, and the boss fight will be tough... but that's not the core theme of BfA.

The core theme of BfA is "The Alliance and The Horde are going to war!"

And I'm like... so?

We were fighting before BfA.
    We will be fighting during BfA.
    And we will be fighting after BfA.
    We will be fighting 3 expansions after BFA.

The core theme just doesn't give us a sense of importance or purpose. Every expansion either presented us with an all-powerful villain and demonstrates how lethal and grand he and his forces are, which implied we will grow in strength and power throughout the adventure, and eventually we WILL fight him head on and defeat him. Or, in he case of MoP, the theme was explore a whole new world and here's a new race; we're going to spend the next few years immersed in their land and culture, with both sides getting to play them.

But BfA? The core theme is war between the Horde and Alliance. That's it. That's the theme. But there's no world-changing assumption that the war will end one way or the other, so who cares? If the theme and cinematic was instead "Behold! A continent of snake people!", at least that would give players a fundamental sense of the world being different than it was before BfA; there weren't snake people before, and now there are. Let's spend the next 2 years living in SnakeLand. It's Blizzard's job to make that interesting/enjoyable with lasting repurcussions. But they (rightly) didn't go with that theme.

But the theme Blizzard went with is just... not a big deal to me. It's not a happening, as they say. I'm sure we'll be presented with big, evil characters who could destroy the world if champions don't stop them. We beat Xavius in The Nightmare, Nefarion in Blackwing Descent, and Grand Empress Shek'zeer in The Heart of Fear, and we were given zones to quest in to build up their looming threat and how it was a big deal... but they weren't the expansion. Just as questing in new zones under the looming threat of Azshara or some old god isn't the theme of BfA. The theme of BfA is Horde and Alliance fighting.

Every expansion has a core theme of an extraordinary event, and the promise that by the expansion's end, things will be different:

So what's the world-changing consequence of BfA going to be?

So how are we supposed to sell BfA?

"In this expansion, the Horde and the Alliance are fighting; Just like they were before, and just like they will after. No new class, no new race, but a few cosmetic upgrades: Different shapes of humans, different shapes of Trolls, different shapes of Elves... etc."

BfA just feels like a big .1 patch, like 5.1: Landfall, or 4.1: Rise of the Zandalari. "The war ignites between the Horde and the Alliance! Also check out this new troll content!"

If there was even a hint that THIS TIME things are different and there was a big ending coming for who the player is fighting against, then that would be something. But there's just not. Of course I'll play, and do all the quests and run the dungeons and kill whatever raid boss is the baddie for 8.0, 8.2, 8.3... but there's just no "endgame" story event to look forward to.

I knew we would eventually "storm the gates" of Illidan/Arthas/whoever's home and fight them directly in past expansions, and the cinematic's job was to build up how much of a BIG DEAL the expansion's big bad guy was, and the zones and quests gave us a sense of gaining ground inch by inch until the whole continent was ours and we pushed all the way from Point A to Point Z and end the evil threat. There's none of that in BfA.

In BfA, the Alliance and Horde will fight each other; make a few clocktowers of stone, a few huts with spikes, and we fight. That's the theme. Other things will happen, no doubt, but the war is the BIG EVENT.

That just doesn't feel like an World of Warcraft expansion pack to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Faction war isn’t any better, we know we’ll break some of each other’s toys, kill some of each other’s people, it will all be inconclusive and unsatisfying for both sides due to gameplay reasons, and then the big bad crops up anyway and we kill him/her/it, oh yeah, so much better...

The only place people still care about faction-related stuff like the Cata-revamp is in threads about Horde/Alliance bias, so all in all the “lasting legacy” there isn’t much to write home about either.
    At least there's some story along the way though.

With the Legion we had one mandatory defeat (In order to change our leaders), we then went through every single legion commander like a knife through butter, there was no real journey, nobody we lost along the way (At least nobody that we won't see again) beyond the first conflict, no settlement or city was ever under threat. We just smashed through everything and won, it was as if the artifacts were overkill for something as irrelevant as the Legion.

Battle for Abilities?
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

The plot really is of secondary importance in an mmo

Quote Originally Posted by Icoblablubb View Post
    so you are as stupid as the OP
    There's no need to be rude or hateful.

This is a VOID expansion
    That's like saying Mists of Pandaria is an orc expansion because the everything was leading up to Garrosh being the final boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry I didn't see Garrosh in the MoP cinematic?

also we didn't defeat the Lich King, because 'there must always be a Lich King'.

Plus how I see it.

Alliance and Horde fighting > There will be alliance and horde fighting.

I actually like the fact I have no idea where the story is going in this expansion.

How about we just play the game and have fun
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-07-21 at 12:21 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Is this another I Quit thread?
    I hope so. One less cry baby.
    they make a thread every other week of them crying so.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Deleted
    snip.

100% with u, another filler xpac...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Jesus Christ. How retarded do you have to be at this point to not see this is an Old God expansion
    ^

/10Chars

You compare it to 5.2 like that's a bad thing. It was the most memorable part of MOP for me. The Purge of Dalaran? The Legendary Tableflip of Lor'themar?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwing View Post
    Yet another retarded troll thread
    Jesus Christ. How retarded do you have to be at this point to not see this is an Old God expansion

Sometimes I wonder if MMO-C is the place players go to after they get banned from the General Forums...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis View Post
    -snip-
    Is that anime girl supposed to be Knaifu?

OT: Yeah, it's the battle to save Azeroth. I've no idea why it isn't launching with the option to tell our factions to do one and join Khadgar and Magni saving the planet. Give me my neutral hippie faction!

Deleted
    Sometimes I wonder if MMO-C is the place players go to after they get banned from the General Forums...
    only sometimes.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Yeah, that's why I don't like BFA - the same reason, why MOP story failed. This is core PVP aspect problem in every single MMO - players just can't be bad. NPCs can, but not players. And therefore at the end Horde can't be bad and Alliance can't be bad. Opposite faction can be shown as bad in PVE quests, but this point of view is purely relative, as other faction sees the same thing too. So neither Horde, nor Alliance can win in this war. And therefore it's just pointless.
    Yes, this is pretty much what I think about the good ol' AvH conflict. Doing an expansion whose ostensible main feature is more beating of the poor dead AvH horse feels quite underwhelming for those weirdos like me who care about the story in a game. AvH may have been fine in the 90s (WC1 and 2), but it was severely sidelined in WC3, and completely marginalized in WoW... and for a good reason.

(Small digression: MMO's are either built from the ground up with PvP in mind, ala EVE, or they don't even bother with it. As soon as Blizz tried to get serious with PvP in BC, with the introduction of Arenas, they created a huge gameplay mess out of nothing; and they've been struggling until now. To the point that devs have stated iirc that they regret having introduced Arenas in the first place.)

Only MoP managed to make some sense in this regard, but in the end it wasn't AvH proper either, but rather Ally+Free Horde vs Garry's Nazi Horde. And it would be frankly disappointing to have a MoP 2.0 story-wise. One MoP was fine, two would be lame af.

That's why I don't understand all those folks who claim that without AvH there would be no WARcraft. Haven't we all been at war several times already? Or WTF were we doing with (BC) Illidan, Arthas, DW, the Sha, you name it? World of Warcraft =! World of AllianceVsHordeCraft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Is this another I Quit thread?
    I hope so. One less cry baby.
    Bah as if every person that says "I quit" actually quits.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if it wasn't (or it ain't), MoP also began as a faction war xpac and lo and behold...